PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:00 am      Post subject: Wetlina near Nova Sedlica on Slovakia border

If your ancestors are from Wetlina, be sure to add your information to the Places Database at: http://polishorigins.com/places
You can also add your family surnames to the Surname Database: http://polishorigins.com/surnames

Please reply to this thread and leave a comment about your family.

Wetlina is a Lemko Village bordering Slovakia, just north of Nova Sedlica.
Hear how to say it: http://say.expressivo.com/jacek/Wetlina

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetlina :
Wetlina [vɛtˈlina] is a village with a population of 307 (in 2004) located in south-eastern Poland in the Subcarpathian Voivodeship, near the Slovakia border. It is near the entrance to Bieszczady National Park and is situated along the Wetlinka river.

Book chapter about Wetlina: BIESZCZADY Slownik Historyczno-Krajoznawcy Book 2, GMINA CISNA, Warsaw, 1996. Marcin Gruszczynski, Wojciech Krukar, Stanislaw Krycinski. Towarzystwo Karpackie, Wydawnictwo Stanislaw Krycinski.
(Wetlina Chapter), pages 380 to 423 give historical information with many names and photos. You can read the chapter at this link: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/PL_wetlina_poland.htm

Some names from this chapter:
Birecki , Bisjuhan, Boburczak, Bljacha, Bilohon, Buchwak, Buczko, Bunga, Burcza, Byrcza, Chaszcziwskyj, Ciecinska, Cygan, Cygler, Cyktycz, Czorna, Czulak, Dziunycz, Dzichran, Dziuba, Fidczak, Gajda, Galiant, Habuda, Hilszanskyj, Iwanyszyn, Jaloszynska, Jarema, Jarosewycz, Kimak, Kolesar, Kolodiej, Korol, Korostenski, Kost, Kopylec, Kowal, Kozak, Kulybanycz, Kulynycz, Lopuch, Lumianyk, Marycz, Matwijczyk, Minka, Morawskij, Mucha, Nowobilska, Nykiel, Nykolyszak, Oleksyszak, Osjidacz, Patyk, Pinczuk, Podolinski, Poljuljak, Rebinczak, Rebinczok, Rewak, Rogozinska, Salamaszak, Sawkulycz, Sawka, Soroka , Stachurskyj, Stawny, Sulypka, Swystiak, Sydorjak, Sydorek, Szync, Szczepanska, Taciak, Tlystyj, Tysjak, Tytanycz, Ustianowski, Wasylkiw, Wizniak, Zazwirskyj, Zhorliakewycz, Zubal

Wetlina Surnames from the Ellis Island database:
Birchmann, Bisihan, Blacha, Blyszczak, Bongar, Buischau, Bunga, Bunza, Byrczo, Chybala, Cigany, Ciktisz, Ciktyos, Csap, Diduck, Dzinba, Dzinba, Dzmba, Fedczak, Hanas, Hrebinczak, Hybala, Jazworski, Kiczak, Kiezak, Kimak, Kolynycz, Kopelec, Kos, Kowial, Laswierski, Leszynsky, Luba, Lutybka, Michalka, Mucha, Nazwieski, Osmak, Rewak, Salamaszka, Sawka, Stachurski, Tetaniez, Titanicz, Twarok, Wasilka, Wasylkiw, Waszczak, Wosniak, Wosniak, Zasworsky

I have never been to this village, but wanted to post this info after reading the chapter I mentioned above. If you have photos or other information on Wetlina, please post them here.
tarkulich

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 pm      Post subject: DZIUBA

My Grandmother's father, PAL DZIUBA, born in WETLINA about 1853. Move to NOVA SEDLICA, SLOVAKIA and married ANNA BRASKO about 1870. Name changed to DZUBA.

DZUBAs moved to SCRANTON, PENNSYLVANIA between 1888 and 1918.

It was quite common for villagers who worked in the forests to socialize.

Seeking to contact Dziuba family in Poland.

Please also see http://warholic.tripod.com/wetlina-draft.htm

I have visited family including DZUBA in NOVA SEDLICA. However, no contact so far in Poland.

The aforementioned work referenced in the first post is my work.

Bill Tarkulich
Lexington, Mass.

Visit poster's website
tarkulich

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:50 pm      Post subject:

People from this village were predominantly ethnic RUSYN, often called LEMKO. The village was depopulated and destroyed in the 1950s and remained deserted for 20 years. New settlers are predominantly ethnic Polish, therefore no cultural continuity is extant.
bt
Visit poster's website
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:50 am      Post subject:

Hi Bill, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to read the information you posted above. thanks for sharing it - that book chapter is very interesting! I can see that you put a tremendous amount of research and work into the translations so we could all read it in English.
In fact, I think that many members here at PolishOrigins would find your entire website interesting: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

PO Members: Bill's wonderful site is designed for English speakers researching immigrants from the regions of what is now Slovakia (Slovak Republic). His collection includes wonderful and extremely informative essays, documents and photographs.

The homepage states:
Geographic focus is on Eastern Slovakia (Slovak Republic) / formerly Czechoslovakia / formerly Upper Hungary. Primary research areas include the peoples and lands in the Carpathian mountains and immediate borderlands of Southern Poland (Galicia) and Western Ukraine (Carpatho-Rus). As Slovakia was a component of pre-1918 Hungary, much information about "old Hungary" is contained herein and will be useful for any pre-1918 Hungary research.

Thanks Bill - I hope that we will hear more from you soon.
Shellie
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:25 am      Post subject: Re: DZIUBA

tarkulich wrote:

Seeking to contact Dziuba family in Poland.

I have visited family including DZUBA in NOVA SEDLICA. However, no contact so far in Poland.

Bill,

I have found in my sources phone numbers to 8 Dziubas living in the region which was before Krosno province, including among others towns like: Wetlina, Lesko, Sanok, Besko and a few more. If you were interested I could send you the contacts.
Send e-mail
tarkulich

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:30 pm      Post subject:

Hello Zenon,
I'd be interested. the story was that the Lemkos who survived were relocated waaaaay north in Poland.
Wetlina is interesting, but I'm sure my ancestors were moved. I sent letters many years ago, but no one ever answered.
Please PM me. Thanks.
Regards,
Bill

Visit poster's website
tarkulich

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:34 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:

Thanks Bill - I hope that we will hear more from you soon.
Shellie

So here I am again. Not sure what more I can help on. I can tell you for certain that the people that lived on the upslopes of the Carpathians, both north and south mingled with each other and even, in my family, married.

so my only suggestion for others is to look on both sides of the border for your ancestors.

With regard to:
BIESZCZADY Slownik Historyczno-Krajoznawcy, from which I had translated the Wetlina section, I have the whole book of all villages. If someone wants to take a stab at another village in BIESZCZADY , drop me a note and I will get you the pages.

Bill Tarkulich
iabsi.com

Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: