PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:51 pm      Post subject: Cizewski/Czyzewski/Ciszewski/etc

Trying to locate where my grandfather came from in Poland/Russia. His name was Ksaweri (Xavier) Cizewski. He immigrated in 1906 from Lomza. I know he lived in Bialystok. His immigration papers say he was born in Czahl, Russia. He was born in 1885.

Can anyone provide a starting point in Poland for my research? Thanks
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 am      Post subject:

Can you upload here scan of the immigration papers for us to be able to try to determine the place of birth of Ksawery Question This seems to be crucial for any further research.
Send e-mail
cbuckord

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:36 am      Post subject:

Here's what I know.  Both Ksawery (B: 6 Jan 1885) and his brother John (B: 25 Oct 1889) came to the US (I've attached their petitions).  They also had a sister in Poland/Russia - we think her name was Mary.  We were told she was sent to Siberia for poisoning her husband.  Their parents were Julian Czyszewski and Emily Gronska (according to his death certificate).  We were told Emily died in childbirth at age 23 (probably with John) and that Emily's sister married a future president of Poland (although I haven't found anything to support that).  Ksawery was a mason and cabinet maker before he left Poland and he lived in Lomza.  My grandmother (his wife) said he went to school near Warsaw and that he could read and write.  We have been told he lived in Bialystok and that he came from "up North".  We know he had scarlet fever as a boy and that he fell out of a hay loft, causing pressure on his brain.  One person told us he and Ksawery came from the same area and he was from Lumza, Styczyn and the Parish was Killian. Both Ksawery and John spelled their name Cizewski in the US.  Immigration papers show they came from Czahi, Russia.  That's what I know - I have attached both Ksawery's and John's Petition for Naturalization papers, as well as Ksawery's Hamburg Passenger List document. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

1906 ship manifest Ksaweri Zisewski.jpg
 Description:
Note the spelling of his name
 Filesize:  291.47 KB
 Viewed:  9256 Time(s)

1906 ship manifest Ksaweri Zisewski.jpg

1907 John Cizewski petition.jpg
 Description:
John Cizewski Petition for Naturalization
 Filesize:  325.58 KB

1907 John Cizewski petition.jpg

1906 Ksawery Cizewsky petition.jpg
 Description:
Ksawery Cizewsky Petition for Naturalization
 Filesize:  444.46 KB
 Viewed:  9257 Time(s)

1906 Ksawery Cizewsky petition.jpg

Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:12 am      Post subject:

Very interesting. I have found two, very tiny villages located in the same county Grajewo and even in the same commune Radziłów. The first is Czaple located here: http://bit.ly/bQcNyH and the second is Czachy located a few miles south-east of Czaple, click here for map: http://bit.ly/9NiISx . Both names phonetically in Polish sound similar to the places listed in both petitions of naturalization.

Although there are in today's Poland five more places called Czachy and also several other Czaple if I decided to continue the research I would start from these two villages located nearby Łomża and Białystok and north of them.

If you want to pursue I can try to locate correct parish for both villages.

Last edited by Zenon on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
cbuckord

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:23 am      Post subject:

Yes. Please pursue locating the parishes. Thank you.
cbuckord

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:20 pm      Post subject:

I just found John Cizewski's arrival information. The information is a bit different. his name is Jan Czyzewsky and it lists his birth location as Hulzva, Russia. Ancestry.com shows it as Plock. The record also states he is going to live with his brother Ksawery Czyzewsky in Kingston, Pennsylvania. They lived in Kingston, so I know this is the right person. Is Hulzva anywhere near the Czachy or Czaple villages?
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:53 am      Post subject:

Dena,

Can you also upload this last found document here Question
Send e-mail
cbuckord

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:10 am      Post subject:

After re-reading copies I have of Naturalization papers for Ksawery and John, the place name is spelled differently, but is one of the following: Czapi, Czahi, Czepi, Czepi (depends on who wrote it down) in Russia. Both of their oaths of allegiance denounce Nicholas II Emperor of all the Russias. Ksawery's last residence is listed as Lomza. John's last residence is listed as Hulzva or Hulzvo, Russia. Ancestry.com indicates Hulzva as Plock. I have attached John's ship manifest record.

Again, thank you - I know you are busy with the tours. I just wanted to be sure you got my previous message. I hope your tours are going well. Dena

1907 Jan Czyzewski NY Passenger List.jpg
 Description:
This is the ship's passenger list for Jan Czyzewski
 Filesize:  946.06 KB

1907 Jan Czyzewski NY Passenger List.jpg

Zenon

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:38 am      Post subject:

Dena,

I have found in my sources, that Czachy belonged to Przytuły parish. Only part of the birth records from years 1890-1899 from this parish is kept in State Archives in Łomża.

And Czaple (also called Zakrzewo-Czaple) belonged to Słucz parish. There are also very few records kept in the State Archives in Łomża, birth records are only for years 1889-1907 .

This is how I would start. I would contact by e-mail the State Archives in Łomża with request for them to do search in both parishes giving them dates and names. I would not only ask for specific persons but also for other people using the same surnames living (being born, married or died) during this time period. After heir search on the basis of information they provided I would decide for further steps, i.e. check Diocese Archives and local churches in both places.

Contact information for Łomża State Archives:

Archiwum Państwowe w Białymstoku Oddział w Łomży
18-400 Łomża, al. Legionów 36
tel: (86) 473-53-01
fax: 473-53-02
email: [email protected]
www.bialystok.ap.gov.pl/lomza/

And as always I recommend reading article: "Remote" research in Polish State Archives - practical hints.
Send e-mail
cbuckord

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:54 pm      Post subject:

Let me take a look first and talk to my mother. I'll get back with you either way.
marcin-cz

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 pm      Post subject:

Hi my name is Martin Czyzewski,i also looking for some of the information about my step grandfather,his name was Joseph Czyzewski was born 28.11.1898 in the parish of Chelmice,near the town Poznan.His last address in Poland was:Bialystok,ul::Szpitalna 20.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: