PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 27

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 am      Post subject: Search for Bronislaw Turolski & Family

Quote:
Polish Origin’s
I'm am trying to solve the mystery of my Grandfather’s origin and possibly find relatives in Poland. I just want to know all about him, his parents, siblings etc…. Below is what I know about his past, any help would be much appreciated.

I'm interested in information about my Grandfather and relatives in Poland. My Dad's father was from Poland/ Russia came to the USA in 1912. My Dads father' surname is Torolski but it was spelled differently in the old country and probably spelled Turolski. He's kind of a mystery man even his kinds children and wife knew virtually nothing about his past in Poland / Russia. He may have even been in the Russian Army. More recent information I found shows that he came to the United States as Bronislaw Turolski on September 23, 1912. at the age of 18 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. His date of birth was September 8, 1894. Other reasearch shows that he probably was from the Lomzo, Poland which was part of Russia. His paperwork upon entering the United States shows his nationality as Russia/Polish. Any help in my quest to find out about his background would be appreciated. I want to visit Poland and hope to go to his place birth. Recently we discovered on line that his draft registration (United States) for World War 1 showed the name Ben Torolski and that he listed his place of birth as Lomza, Russia/Poland. He did go by Ben after he came to the United States. We think that the name change Turolski to Torolski came about when they made a mistake on his employment records.

Below is a letter we just mailed yesterday to the eight Catholic Churches in Lomza as well as the Diocese of,Lomza.

St. Brunon Bishop and Martyr
ul. Wojska Polskiego 135
Lomza, 18-402 Poland

To whom it may concern:

I am writing in an attempt to find information on my Grandfather Bronislaw Turolski. My grandfather was born (I’m pretty sure) on September 8, 1894. We know he immigrated to the United States on September 24, 1912 at the age of 18 with the above name. His wife and his children knew very little about him from his time of birth till the time he left Poland. They knew nothing about his parents, siblings, blood relatives ,etc. When he immigrated from Poland he listed his nationality as Polish/Russian. In my quest to learn more about him and his relatives we have discovered a document which gave information that he was from Lomza, Poland/Russia.

After learning he was from Lomza we located a document that beared his surname. The document was from the Diocese of Lomza that showed a handwritten name of Franciszek Turolski and the date of birth was September 8, 1894. We now cannot find that document in our research. While the first name is different, it has to be him since the surname and date of birth are the same. Any information would be extremely appreciated.

My wife and I have visited Poland before and would like to visit my Grandfather’s birthplace and meet the people of Lomza and more importantly relatives. It is hoped you may have records of his baptism which will provide the names of his parents. Also any other information would mean so very much to me. I am very proud of my Polish heritage and my Grandfather has always been a mystery to his family here. He passed away in 1963 so I was able to spend thirteen precious years with him. He does have one daughter Frances age 90 who is still living and also would love to know more information about him before she passes.

In closing my name is Joseph Torolski, somehow my grandfathers spelling of his last name changed from Turolski to Torolski when he immigrated to Wyandotte, Michigan.

God Bless

Joseph M. Torolski
3805 Peninsular Drive
Gladwin, MI 48624
[email protected]
734 552-6429 Telephone

cc: Reverend FR Gerald Grupczynski

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:54 pm      Post subject:

Hello Joseph,

You may already have this record, but here is the WWII draft registration card for Ben Torolski. In it, he states his place of birth as "Oseki" which I think was spelled incorrectly and should be Osieki. There are a number of villages by that name in Poland. I am afraid I didn't help, but only added another mystery.

Perhaps some of the other more experienced researchers in Poland can see if there is a place called Osieki near Lomza.

Good luck in your research,
Cynthia

004672916_02158.jpg
 Description:
Ben Torolski WWII draft registration
 Filesize:  386.97 KB
 Viewed:  11014 Time(s)

004672916_02158.jpg

Send e-mail
Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:19 pm      Post subject: Bronislaw Torolski

Thank you for providing the draft,registration. This is the first time I seen a draft registration for,World War II. I received the Lomza Information from his World War I registration in 1917. That listed Lomza and his birthdate of September 8, 1894. Most records I have list tha birthdate including the information from when he entered the United States at Ellis Island on September 24, 1912.
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:57 am      Post subject: Re: Bronislaw Torolski

Joseph Torolski wrote:
Thank you for providing the draft,registration. This is the first time I seen a draft registration for,World War II. I received the Lomza Information from his World War I registration in 1917. That listed Lomza and his birthdate of September 8, 1894. Most records I have list tha birthdate including the information from when he entered the United States at Ellis Island on September 24, 1912.

In www.stevemorse.org he stated his father's name was Jan and was livingi in Michigan (I could not read the name of the place). He declared he was born in Czerbia (second page of the manifest). His mother was Maryanna and listed as Czerbia, Lomza.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:04 am      Post subject:

Joseph,
the name of the place is Dzierzbia. Check this:http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&search_lastname=turolski&search_lastname2=&from_date=&to_date=&exac=&rid=B&bdm=B&w=10pl&rpp1=&ordertable=

Gilberto
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:51 pm      Post subject: Search for Bronislaw Turolski & Family

Expanding on what Gilberto wrote, I found Dzierzbia about 20 miles north of Lomza. In the case of my own grandparents some records and family history referred to larger nearby cities and towns or regions rather than the actual small town they were born in.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dzierzbia,+Poland/@53.3814891,22.0904625,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x471e2860405eb7df:0x533b2afe67a6cdc5!8m2!3d53.3814891!4d22.0926512

Also note that the parish in the records Gilberto linked to is Poryte.

You’ve probably have already seen these records but in addition to the draft registration records, FamilySearch also shows his Social Security Death record and the 1940 census. https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Aben*~%20%2Bsurname%3Atorolski

Note that his death record also uses the 1895 birth date.

According to the 1940 census he was a naturalized citizen. You may be able to find his naturalization record.

To access FamilySearch records you have to sign in, but there is no charge.

If you haven’t already, you may also want to check out church records for his marriage and death to see what info they contain.

Good luck.

Diane
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:17 pm      Post subject: Search for Bronislaw Turolski & Family

If your grandmother’s maiden name was Mary Ptak, this looks like your grandparent’s marriage record.

Indexed as Ben Trovalski
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Aben*%20%2Bsurname%3ATrovalski%20%2Bmarriage_place%3Amichigan~&collection_id=1452395

record
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-67Z9-XVT?mode=g&i=301&cc=1452395
Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:17 pm      Post subject: Bronislaw Turolski

In my search for my Granfathers Roots in Poland I did not even look for his records in the Michigan Area. Mary Ptak was my Grandmother. I have never seen that spelling Trovalski of my last name. As I've stated in this forum his name when he came from the old country was Turolski.
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:24 pm      Post subject: Bronislaw Turolski

To clarify, I am assuming that the Trovalski spelling was an error in the record or the indexing of the record. English speaking clerks with no knowledge of Polish may not have understood the pronounced name correctly and/or may not have read the handwriting correctly. Does the date of marriage look right?

Joseph, assuming you also saw Gilberto's message and my first message too?
Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:01 pm      Post subject: Re: Bronislaw Turolski

looking for clues wrote:
To clarify, I am assuming that the Trovalski spelling was an error in the record or the indexing of the record. English speaking clerks with no knowledge of Polish may not have understood the pronounced name correctly and/or may not have read the handwriting correctly. Does the date of marriage look right?

Joseph, assuming you also saw Gilberto's message and my first message too?
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Bronislaw Turolski

Joseph, don't know if I'm missing part of your last message. I just see my message quoted back without comment?
Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 pm      Post subject: Re: Bronislaw Torolski

Magroski49 wrote:
Joseph Torolski wrote:

In www.stevemorse.org he stated his father's name was Jan and was livingi in Michigan (I could not read the name of the place). He declared he was born in Czerbia (second page of the manifest). His mother was Maryanna and listed as Czerbia, Lomza.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm      Post subject: Bronislaw Turolski

Hi I'm back again for the first time in a long time. MY wife and I have had surgeries and health problems with family members. First my wife and I are headed to Poland on August 16th and will be there to August 31st. We will go to our Grandfather's towns and we hope to find out more information of there past.. My Grandfather's past in still somewhat of a mystery. His immigration papers say that he was born in Lomza Dzierzbia, his World War I draft registration says he was born in Lomza and his World War II draft registration says he was born in Osieki. There is an Osieki due north of Dzierzbia on the northern border. My grandfather further stated that his last residence before coming to the USA was Gerlachsdorf which is now Zgoda. This is also on the border west of Osieki. Anyway I simply cannot find any birth records for him. In addition I still cannot locate marriage, death or birth records for his parents Jan or Marianna Modzelewska. i've checked everything I know how to check.

My Grandfather Bronislaw Turolski states his father Jan was in the USA when he arrived in the USA but I can find no record of his visit and/or immigration. However his father it appears to have come to the USA in 1914. He then shows up on a document I just found Saturday. He appears on my Grandfather's 1920 Census Records as being 50 years and residing with my grandfather. After that he disappears forever maybe back to Poland. Maybe he went back to Poland since no immigration records can be found for his wife or any Children. When Jan Turuolski came to the US he says he's from Wojsiechow, Russia. There are many of cities named Wojsiechow in Poland. I checked all Polish provinces on Geneteka with no success.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:03 pm      Post subject:

Hi Joseph,
It's wonderful that you will be going to Poland! It is a great way to connect with your roots.
I am following on the very useful info that Gilberto "Magroski49" and Diane "Looking For Clues" already posted here. There are several records of births in your family in the Poryte parish which the Torolski family from Dzierzbia attended. Take a look at the spelling variety:
Aleksander Tyrolski, born in 1904
Zofia Torolska, born in 1907
Wanda Turolska, born in 1909
All three of them have a father Jan, and a mother Marianna Modzelewska. So, just as "Czerbia" turned out to be Dzierzbia, Torolski/Turolski/Tyrolski are likely to be the same family. Would you like for me to post images of those records here?
I have tried looking for your Bronislaw in 1895 and 1894, without success as yet, but I will try searching a bit more.
I also found what I think is your Jan, on one of his return trips to Poland. It is from the incoming passenger lists to the UK, and there is a man indexed as "Jar Tyrolski" arriving in Southampton from New York City on 14 April 1908. He was born in 1870, was a subject of Russia, and had a through ticket in his possession to get to Allenstein (that is Olsztyn, Poland, today, but it was formerly in East Prussia).
I am still trying to make sense of the connection your Bronislaw would have had with Gerlachsdorf (now Zgoda, as you said).
Stay tuned,
Sophia
Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:03 am      Post subject: Bronislaw Turolski

Hi Everyone

Sophia thank your for your research and information you provided on the family of Bronislaw Turolski.
Based on your information I located the record for Aleksander Tyrolski which I believe is my Grandfather's brother. I also believe Wanda (born 1909) and Zofia (born 1907) are his sisters. With Wanda dying in 1910. Also the information provided on Jan Turolski/Tyrolski makes sense since it appears he travelled to the United States on more than one occasion. The city of Olsztyn, Poland is in the same area of Lomza, Dzierzbia. Any additional information you may find would be appreciated. We will be arriving in Poland on August 17 and each little piece of information helps.

Dziekuje

Joe Torolski
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: