PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm      Post subject: Grzyb family from Swiecany, Galicia

My great grandfather Jan Gryzb and 2 brothers Thomas and Andrew came to the US in the late 1800's and early 1900's. They were born in the 1870's i Swiecany and there may have been a younger sister Katherine that also came over after the brothers.
Does anyone know if there are any birth records available from that region? I'm trying to determine what the parents names were.
Attaced is the closest thing to a birth certificate that I have.

Jan Grzyb Certificate of Belonging 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.98 KB
 Viewed:  3993 Time(s)

Jan Grzyb Certificate of Belonging 001.jpg

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:55 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I couldn't fine records online for Swiecany and I checked the LDS microfilms and they have very few (1790-1819). However, I did a search in Ancestry and found several marriage and death records that I think are your ancestors. These records provide the names of their parents as well. Take a look at them and see if these are your relatives. First, attached is Katarzyna Grzyb's marriage record, and here is a summary:

Name: Katarzyna Grzyb
Birth Year: abt 1879
Birth Place: Austria
Marriage Date: 3 May 1909
Marriage Place: Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
Age at Marriage: 30
Father: Thomas Grzyb
Mother: Agata Czwikow
Spouse: Frank Byczynski
Spouse Birth Place: Austria
Spouse Age at Marriage: 28
Spouse Father: John Byczynski
Spouse Mother: Barbara Sheba

Cynthia

1915 Katarzyna Grzyb marriage.jpg
 Description:
Katarzyna Grzyb marriage in 1915
 Filesize:  773.6 KB
 Viewed:  3993 Time(s)

1915 Katarzyna Grzyb marriage.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:02 pm      Post subject:

Actually, there are quite a few different people named John Grzyb in Ancestry with death and marriage records that include the names of the parents. Have you searched for vital records in Ancestry? I don't know where your family lived in the U.S., so I can't determine which John Grzyb is your ancestor.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
chiguy60

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:52 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Actually, there are quite a few different people named John Grzyb in Ancestry with death and marriage records that include the names of the parents. Have you searched for vital records in Ancestry? I don't know where your family lived in the U.S., so I can't determine which John Grzyb is your ancestor.

Cynthia

Thank you Cynthia for your time. My Great Grandfather Jan Grzyb and his brothers Thomas Grib(changed his name), and Andrew Grzyb, and Katherine settled in the Chicago area. Katherine I believe married a man named Dylag or Delong. Unfortunately, only Thomas' death cert has a fathers name on it which is James but I'm not sure that is correct. In some hand written notes from my Grandfather, the names Jakob and Maryanna appear with year of their death. It leads me to think that this is his parents. I was hoping to find some records from the Swiecany area to try and verify parents names based on birth dates. There appear to be quite a few Grzyb's that came over, all around the same time, that settled anywhere from New York to Chicago so it has been difficult to determine if any of them are related to us. I've done a lot of research on Ancestry and Family Search and I believe I've found most of the records there.
Thanks again for your help,
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: