PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:49 pm      Post subject: Town name

Hello here is a name for a town one of my relatives was coming from to the US. I am a bit confused with her paperwork. The ship manifest lists her as Polish but on all subsequent census' and death certificate she lists as Lithuanian. The town l am after is in the attached picture. It looks like Olzince. They put Polish as race and Russia as nationality.

city for domicelia.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.88 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

city for domicelia.jpeg

Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:30 am      Post subject:

It might be Olszaniec. Unfortunately, hardly any info can be found. It may be nonexistent today.

She might be listed as Lithuaniam after the birthtown located in today Lithuania.

She was described as polish, so probably was polish indeed. Nationality russia as in XIX c. lithuania region was under russian regime.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:03 am      Post subject: Re: Town name

Lmraymond wrote:
Hello here is a name for a town one of my relatives was coming from to the US. I am a bit confused with her paperwork. The ship manifest lists her as Polish but on all subsequent census' and death certificate she lists as Lithuanian. The town l am after is in the attached picture. It looks like Olzince. They put Polish as race and Russia as nationality.

please show the full ship manifest.
Do you know name and surname of your relative?
Do you have any more info, letters, records etc?
when she died, how old she was?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 am      Post subject:

Hi Marcel,
Looks like this is the manifest. Passenger is Domicelia Kozakiewicz, line 17.
Best,
Sophia

PAT840_43-0479.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  694.11 KB

PAT840_43-0479.jpg

sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:13 am      Post subject:

If that is really Olszaniec (place that indeed existed in Second Republic of Poland), it was about 70 kilometers from Kul village. Kul is today Kulys in Lithuania, on the south east from Vilnus. According to this publication http://www.glaukopis.pl/images/artykuly-obcojezyczne/TangledWeb2.pdf [eng, might be interesting read however..] the village Olszaniec was burned to the ground during WWII. I coulnd not find Olszaniec near Kul, on 1935 map. It also migh be on today Belarus

Edit: Olszaniec would be in Stołpecki powiat, somewhere on the road from Raków (Rakaw, near Minsk) to Kul, 70 kilometers from Kul.

Edit2, nah i was tricked, because there are two villages with Kul name. Second village is in Stołpecki powiat. This means something. Then there we have http://maps.mapywig.org/m/WIG_maps/series/100K_300dpi/A33_B43_IWIENIEC_1926_300dpi_bcuj298238-285459.jpg on this map we have fw. Olszaniec (folwark Olszaniec) in right bottom corner.

I have no better idea for that name

olszaniec2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  621.49 KB

olszaniec2.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 am      Post subject:

Sirdan, the name Domicelia is rare. Does it give a clue as to where in the country you expect to find it?
Best,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:38 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Sirdan, the name Domicelia is rare. Does it give a clue as to where in the country you expect to find it?
Best,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

The usual spelling of the given name in Polish is Domicela rather than Domicelia. It also can be found as Domitylla. It never even makes it into the top 500 Polish given names, as the Polish blurb states, it is a sparsely occurring name. It is probably better to ask when the person who had that name was born rather than what country they lived in. The feast day of that saint was May 7 and/or May 12. The cult was suppressed in the R.C. Church in 1969 as part of the Vatican II reform of the liturgical calendar. It is one of those names that was probably used when good ideas for names had been exhausted and the name was chosen based on proximity to a feast day. The Polish blurb gives the English, French, German, and Russian forms of the name---doubtful that it was very popular in any of those countries either.

The Latin name is Domitilla and is usually found as Flavia Domitilla which indicates that she was of the gens Flavia. She was a 1st Century saint about whom there is more legend than fact. The theory is that she was closely related to the Flavian emperors (i. e. of the gens Flavia) :Vespianus [Eng. Vespasian A. D. 69-79], Titus [A. D. 79-81]. and Domitianus [Eng. Domitian A. D. 81-96]. Another bit of historical trivia...The Colosseum in Rome was also known as Amphitheatrum Flavium (Flavian Amphitheatre). Its construction was begun during the reign of Vespasian and completed under Titus and opened in the year 80.

I actually knew one nun whose name was Domicela and a quasi-relative who had the same name. She was the daughter of the widow of my mother’s maternal uncle (thus a quasi-relative) My mother was conscripted to stand up to her wedding and then kept in contact with her and her husband. As an indication of how popular the name Domicela/Domitilla was she called herself Daisy.

Here is the Polish blurb.
Domitylla (Domicela)
Domitylla (Domicela) imieniny obchodzi: 7 maja oraz 12 maja
W Polsce imię to występuje rzadko, przede wszystkim w formie Domicela.
Odpowiedniki obcojęz.: łac. Domitilla, ang. Domitilla, fr. Domitille, niem. Domitilla, ros. Domicilla.
Święta - jedyna, jaką w wykazach hagiograficznych zdołaliśmy odnaleźć pod tym imieniem - jest postacią pojawiającą się w legendarnej opowieści o świętym Nereuszu i Achillesie (zob. Achilles, męczennik rzymski). Nawet w hagiograficznym piśmiennictwie średniowiecza nie zajęła ona poczesnego miejsca. Autorzy zwięzłych kompilacji, od Florusa poczynając a na Piotrze Calo kończąc, zaledwie ją wspominają. W Martyrologium Rzymskim widnieje pod dniem 12 maja.
None of this stuff is earthshaking information, but, who knows, it may come in handy someday for a trivia contest.

Finally, I would say that the spelling on the manifest is an incorrect version of the Polish name, but no matter how you cut it, the name probably has no chance of making it into the top 1000 girl names in the foreseeable future.

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:20 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
Thanks for this! Very interesting. I agree that the name Domicela/Domitylla is not likely going to top the popularity charts any time soon. The spelling Domicelia, which you point out is incorrect, actually gives the name a lovely sound, to my ear.
My apologies to the original poster, whose question was actually about the town name. I cannot decipher it. Initially, I thought the first two letters "Ol..." might actually be poor handwriting for an "H..." or an "M..." but having seen the rest of the page of that manifest, I came back to "Ol..." I think it is ending in "...nce" or possibly "....nice" and for reasons unknown to me, those endings show up a lot in manifests where the actual ending should be "...niec." This is my long way of saying that Sirdan's guess of Olszaniec is better than anything else I can come up with.
Best,
Sophia
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:06 am      Post subject:

Let me continue this interesting subject:) interesting also cause i visited Vilnus few days ago:)

I was somehow quite sure that The Domicelia was coming from Lithuania region. At first Glance it was not polish sounding indeed. i checked the manifest, and found, she was coming to husband Kajetani. This looks like Lithuanized Kajetan. So we have now two Lithuanian sounding names. Not a coincidence.

At the time of writing im looking in internet for Lithuanian names and finding this site http://www.thelithuanians.com/names/name2b.html
We have Domicelia there. I m not sure if i read hints correctly, but it looks like this form was used on the south east of today lithuania.

@Sophia
you guessed right i was not 100% sure for Olszaniec. If we go to http://www.kami.net.pl/kresy/ and put Olsza into "Nazwa miejscowości:" box, we will get quite good volume of Olszanica villages. Still quite not sure about this too. Olz- is no go in polish, olsz- begining is what immediately comes to my mind

Edit@Dave
For me the best sound of that name would be mix of both: Domicella. Somehow, poles feels doubling last letters as better sounding, mhhh kind of more nobled. Ive heard Bożenna, Wioletta, Izabella, and probably few more. it may be not correct grammatically though.
Lmraymond

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:15 pm      Post subject: Town name

My goodness, I did not know there were additional replies to this inquiry. I have found a bit more about Domicelia. I have attached her death certificate so you can see how her name has undergone even more changes. It lists her parents names also.

IMG_6010.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  330.23 KB

IMG_6010.jpeg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: