PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:30 am      Post subject: Origins of Polish Surnames

Here is the place for you to ask or discuss about meaning and origin of your Polish sounding surname.

If you are already logged in just click 'postreply' button and write down question about surname or surnames you are interested in. You can also create a new topic about your surname.

If you are not registered yet click here first: How to register? It is easy and takes up to 2 minutes. to learn about very simple registration procedure or go directly to Register link at the top of this page.

Last edited by Zenon on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Send e-mail
Light

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 pm      Post subject: Juzyk

Zenon,
Thank you so much for your help. I am now on the right road to finding my families polish roots and hopefully living family in Poland..

Thanks again ..
Laurie Light
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:58 pm      Post subject:

If you can trace the name back to early 1800's, I've noticed after finding many of the roots I was researching, many took their names from small villages. Rzeszotarski took their name from Rzeszotary, Siemiatkowski took their name from Siemiatkowo for example. Not all the time, but more than I would have thought. I found using google maps, I was able to zoom in and see villages that would not show when typed in. Bojanowo was where my great grandfather was born in 1878. It took me finding that Gradzanowo was a pinpoint. Once I zoomed in on Gradzanowo, I saw the small village of Bojanowo. Takes time.
mbp

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:16 am      Post subject: Poczet nazwisk polskich - Polish surnames

http://nazwisko.blogspot.com/

Find your name there and ask for a translation.
Almacwik

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:26 pm      Post subject:

Hi
I’m interested in finding out the origins of Cwik surname from Limanowa, krakow, Poland.
Thank you

MikeP

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:48 pm      Post subject: Cwik surname from Limanowa, Kraków, Poland

Hi,

I checked William Hoffman's "Polish Surnames" book (3rd edition) for the surname Ćwik. On page 114, there is the description "game bird, sparrow hawk; sly fellow with experience". The book also indicates that as of year 2002 approximately 4900 people in Poland have Ćwik as their surname.
Have you checked the Geneteka Website (https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/)?

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: