PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:01 am      Post subject: Russian records translations p.2

I have the enormous pleasure to announce that one of our visitors and now member Richard, nick in our website 'Staripolak64', offered his help in translations of old Russian Cyrillic handwritten records for our PolishOrigins Community Exclamation

Richard is retired Slavic languages translator, fluent in Russian, Ukrainian, read and write Polish, Czech. As he wrote in e-mail to me after I contacted him: "I would be happy to translate for anyone who needs it. I have over 40 years of experience, including Russian handwriting back to the 15th century. I spent 14 years as a translator for the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, where I also translated books, birth records, passports, census records (revizskiye skazki), military records, etc."

Doesn't it sound impressive Smile Question.

---

Update: 17 Feb 2016

After more than 6 years of untiring help for our community by Ryszard Staripolak64 had to resign because his eyesight worsened and it was too tiring for him to decipher digital copies of old Russian handwriting. http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=25019#25019 . We THANK YOU so very much for the last 6 years of your tireless help and translating thousands of records for us. You had a great impact on so many of families' discoveries. It has and will have lasting effect for generations.

Most of you already know our friend from Poland Marcelproust who when only has time has been helping in the Russian translations for many months now. He also offered his help in visiting archives in Plock and I know from some of our community members that he did a great job.
A few weeks ago, just after Ryszard made his decision, I contacted Marcelproust and asked if he is willing and has enough time to substitute for Ryszard on more regular basis. Marcelproust responded favorably that he was ready to accept the challenge Exclamation

We decided for organizational reasons to lock the previous “Russian records translations” thread and create new one “Russian records translations p.2” which is hosted by Marcelproust: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=3525 .

Thank you Marcelproust Exclamation

---
If you want to pay back to translators and pay forward to the whole community see also the announcements: Indexation of Translations and Donations for translations.

---

Update: Nov 21, 2017
From now on you can make direct donation to Marcelproust for his translations to his PayPal account: [email protected] . All other rules and the translation guidelines remain unchanged: https://polishorigins.com/records-translations-guidelines/ .

---

Update: Jul 19, 2022
(Marcelproust is a forum volunteer and is not and hasn't ever been a part of PolishOrigins team nor is he associated in any formal way with PolishOrigins. We take no responsibility of any actions or inactions of Marcelproust concerning his activity in the forum or direct communication with the forum members. If you are interested in our paid research and translation services visit: https://polishorigins.com/genealogy/)

Last edited by Zenon on Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:02 am; edited 16 times in total
Send e-mail
Stefan

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 am      Post subject:

I have the enormous pleasure to announce that Richard (tho' I prefer to use his Polish name)
has very recently translated for me 30 pages(!) of family documents from the Russian State Military Historical Archives, and I cannot recommend him highly enough!

After he had so very kindly toiled through these documents on my behalf at no charge, he thanked ME for the experience!!

He is an absolute treasure.

Kindest regards to all,

Stefan Jackowski
Toronto, Canada
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:15 pm      Post subject:

I've had several handwritten Russian birth documents of the 1880's, from Russian occupied Poland, translated. I'd initially gave them to a fluent Russian speaker and reader, but she gave up on handwritten Russian. Saying it was completely alien to her. Is handwritten Russian considered Cyrillic? I don't know any Slavic language, and that Russsian to my eyes looked the same as handwritten Polish.. Is there some way I can discern which Slavic language it is?

Bob
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:15 pm      Post subject:

BobK wrote:
I've had several handwritten Russian birth documents of the 1880's, from Russian occupied Poland, translated. I'd initially gave them to a fluent Russian speaker and reader, but she gave up on handwritten Russian. Saying it was completely alien to her.

But this is not alien to our Ryszard, at all Very Happy . I also used to try to use help of Russians - Russian native speakers - but they were either giving up when they saw the records or were making errors which I had to then correct (although I don't speak Russian very well yet). This is why our Ryszard is such a treasure Exclamation

BobK wrote:
Is handwritten Russian considered Cyrillic?

Cyrillic is an alphabetic writing system used in many languages in Eastern Europe and Asia, including Russian.

BobK wrote:
I don't know any Slavic language, and that Russsian to my eyes looked the same as handwritten Polish.. Is there some way I can discern which Slavic language it is?

Believe me, there is a big difference. In Polish we use the same Latin alphabet (with a few additional letters) as we use in English. If you had chance to read handwritten Polish records, I am sure you would be able to read some words, especially surnames and places.
Send e-mail
carolt71

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:40 pm      Post subject:

I recently came across this article in the family history center in Salt Lake City. I do not believe it has been available until recently. It is the best article that I have read regarding how to decipher polish vital records. I am going to try to put the link here. The illustrations of the documents were phenomenal and help me a great deal.-I hope everyone has a chance to read it. Here is the one https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0f/Finding_records_of_your_ancestors_Poland.pdf
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:55 am      Post subject: Russian records translations p.2

Here is the place where you can upload scan or picture file of your ancestors church record handwritten in the old Cyrillic Russian with request of translation it into English.

(This is 2nd thread of Russian records translations and it is hosted by Marcelproust. The first one has been locked. See more here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=336 , Update from 17.02.2016.)

If you are a member the PolishOrigins all you have to do is:

1. Click on 'postreply' button at the top or the bottom of the page (see attached print screen).

2. Scroll down to the 'Add an Attachment' section.

3. Click 'Browse' or 'Choose your file' button there, find your picture file with record to translate in your local computer disk, and finally click the 'Add Attachment' button.

Your file will upload in a few moments and will be visible in your post after you click on 'Submit' button.

You can also add a comment to your request for translation in the 'Message body' field above the 'Add an Attachment' section.

Important: size of files can't be larger than 2 MB. (You can read more about adding files to messages in our Forum here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=373#373 )

We have a big request to you please cut and upload only the parts of document you ask to be translated instead of whole large pages. This way you will make our volunteers translators job easier to their tired eyes. They will have larger resolution of the scans and will not have to waste their time for searching the part of the record you are interested in.

To edit scan/picture files you can use one of the many desktop softwares (like MS Office Picture Manager or freeware Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ ) or free online services (like http://pixlr.com/editor/ or http://www.freeonlinephotoeditor.com/ ).

If you want to pay back to translators and pay forward to the whole community see also the announcements: Indexation of Translations and Donations for translations.
Send e-mail
Don

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 pm      Post subject: Russian Record Translation

Marcel,
Could you translate this record for me. I found another Tadeusz in the Torun Archives Byczynz 1899. It may be a marriage record.
Thank you,
Don

Scan0020.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  629.78 KB
 Viewed:  123351 Time(s)

Scan0020.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4187

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Russian Record Translation

Don wrote:
Marcel,
Could you translate this record for me. I found another Tadeusz in the Torun Archives Byczynz 1899. It may be a marriage record.
Thank you,
Don

Kłonówek
Nr 57

It happened in village Byczyn on 24 July (5 August) 1899 at 9 a.m.
Appeared Antoni Zientara 30 years old and Józef Klazura 64 years old peasant both living in Kłonówek and they said that on 22 July (3 August) 1899 at 11 a.m. died in Kłonówek Tadeusz Paliński at the age of one week, he was living with his parents, born in Kłonówek, son of Paliński Franciszek and Palińska Anna maiden name Drążek both servants in Kłonówek.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
davepio
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 126

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:05 pm      Post subject: Grzelak census record

Thank you marcelproust for the fantastic job translating my previous census document request.

May I please have this page translated too?

It is from Księga Ludności Stałej gminy Osięciny, tom 6, wieś Latkowo, Kościelna Wieś, Pułkownikowo, kolonia Wygnanowo, 1886-1913

http://meldunkowe.genealodzy.pl/skan.php?ar=17&zs=0036d&ja=006&kt=1&plik=0057.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Dave

Ignacy Grzelak_family census_Latkowo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  123350 Time(s)

Ignacy Grzelak_family census_Latkowo.JPG

helena224

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:34 am      Post subject: translation birth - Lublin Church record No. 281 & 290

Hi.

Thank you for previous translations.

I would appreciate it if you could translate these birth records found in Lublin RC Church records - Wyrostek

Sincerely
Helena

1904 (290) birth J Wyrostek.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  506.73 KB

1904 (290) birth J Wyrostek.jpg

1904 (281) birth record J Wyrostek.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  483.06 KB

1904 (281) birth record J Wyrostek.jpg

helena224

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:46 am      Post subject: translation birth - Lublin Church record No. 378 & 422

HelloW

Thank you for previous translations.

Could you please translate the birth records from Lublin RC church regarding Wyrostek & Pawlowich.

Sincerely
Helena

1907 (378) birth G Pawlowicz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  727.65 KB
 Viewed:  123348 Time(s)

1907 (378) birth G Pawlowicz.jpg

1908 (422) birth J Wyrostek.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  478.8 KB
 Viewed:  123348 Time(s)

1908 (422) birth J Wyrostek.jpg

czaplicki

Replies: 49

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:30 pm      Post subject: Marriage-Franciszek CZ Wiktoria PSZCZ CB 1890-5_1024.jpg

Marcel. Thank you so much for the translations .Could you please help with the marriage record of my granduncle's marriage
Thank you in advance,
Conrad Czaplicki

thumb_M-Franciszek CZ Wiktoria PSZCZ CB 1890-5_1024.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.35 KB
 Viewed:  123346 Time(s)

thumb_M-Franciszek CZ Wiktoria PSZCZ CB 1890-5_1024.jpg

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
khill1881

Replies: 90

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:34 pm      Post subject:

I would very much appreciate a translation of the attached record. It is the death of Ignacy Ropiak in 1890. His parents were Ignacy Ropiak and Katarzyna Mroz.
Katherine

Ignacy Ropiak d.1890 #135.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.51 KB
 Viewed:  123344 Time(s)

Ignacy Ropiak d.1890 #135.JPG

Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:41 am      Post subject:

khill1881 wrote:
I would very much appreciate a translation of the attached record. It is the death of Ignacy Ropiak in 1890. His parents were Ignacy Ropiak and Katarzyna Mroz.
Katherine

Nr 135
village Złota Góra

It happened in village Lipniki on 6 (18 )October 1890 at 2 p.m.
Appeared Walenty Nurczyk 45 years old and Franciszek Klonfas 40 years old both farmers livinb in village Złota Góra and they said that on 4 (16 ) October 1890 at 10 p.m. died in Złota Góra Ignacy Ropiak at the age of 2 years and 6 months, born in village Myszyniec Stary, son of Ignacy Ropiak and dead Katarzyna Ropiak maiden name Mróz both farmers living in village Złota Góra.

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:15 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage-Franciszek CZ Wiktoria PSZCZ CB 1890-5_1024.jpg

czaplicki wrote:
Marcel. Thank you so much for the translations .Could you please help with the marriage record of my granduncle's marriage
Thank you in advance,
Conrad Czaplicki

Żebry-Kordy and Kosmówka.

It happened in village Czernice on 31 January (12 February) 1890 at 4 p.m.
Witnesses: Franciszek Pszczółkowski worker from Żebry-Kordy 33 years old and Jan Żebrowski part owner (kind of nobility who owned part of village or had some land) from Żebry-Kordy 54 years old.
Groom: Franciszek Czaplicki, single, soldier, 29 years old, born in village Żaboklik Wielki and living in village Kosmówka, worker
Groom parents: Czaplicki Andrzej and Czaplicka Marianna maiden name Bartołd
Bride: Wiktoria Pszczółkowska, virgin, 26 years old, born in village Pszczółki-Czubaki and living in village Żebry-Kordy living with her mother
Bride parents: dead Tomasz and living Marianna maiden name Czaplicka worker.
There were 3 church annoucements in Czernice and Pawłowo churches on 7 (19 )January, 14 (26 ) January and 21 january (2 February) 1890.
There were no premarital agreement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 336, 337, 338  Next Page 1 of 338

Jump to: