PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:05 am      Post subject: A little Polish ditty

My elderly aunt sang a little song in Polish into my cell phone a few years ago. Does anyone know this tune, and what the translation is? Caution: my aunt never shied away from the risque, and I have no clue as to what this song means.

0710111450.wma
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.41 KB

Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:15 am      Post subject: Re: A little Polish ditty

Never heard this song. This one fall into cathegory of short songs singing during eating (during biesiada) or wedding songs. You can call it przyśpiewka.
The song is called "Gdzieś był Jasieńku" and let me put a link to the one of performence of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wm0O_fdOfw with longer lyrics. There are two more on youtube, just write a title of the song in ytube search.
An original text would be:
"Gdzieś był Jasieńku,
gdzieś był do rana.
U dziewczyny, u jedynej,
bo była sama."

Your aunt use some regional accent, its not easy to understand, she changed a second half ot the text (a Jasienko's reply). I suppose she has sang:
"Gdzieś był Jasienko,
gdzieś był do rana.
U dziewczyny umilonej
spałem na sianie"
I believe your aunt changed a "sianie" to "siana" to make a rythm Wink
This song is about meeting between Jasienko and some girl.
efc3011

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:54 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much for this! My aunt, who is 88 years old, learned this song in her youth. Regarding her accent: she is American, daughter of Polish immigrants from the Narol area of Podkarpackie. She didn't learn to speak Polish, because her parents (my grandparents!) insisted that the children all speak English at home. She remembers small bits of Polish that she learned by listening, such as this song.

Again, thank you!
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: