PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:56 am      Post subject: Trzemeszno Poland/Germany

My grandfather was born here, it was my understanding that this area was under the controll of Germany. His name was Andrew Wojciak he was catholic. It was my understanding that all his papers where in German,after he died they where thrown away. I am trying to find out how he came to the USA and am unable to find this information, is there a port that people who came here left from? Thank you, Dolores
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:02 am      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum Dolores,

Dolores wrote:
My grandfather was born here, it was my understanding that this area was under the controll of Germany.

That's right, Trzemeszno (or Tremessen in German) was in 19th century under control of Germans from Prussia, see map: http://forum.polishorigins.com/files/map_polish_territory_in_19_century_437.jpg

Dolores wrote:
I am trying to find out how he came to the USA and am unable to find this information, is there a port that people who came here left from?

There were a few ports in Europe from which people from the old territory of Poland emigrated to the New World: Bremen and Hamburg in Germany, Rotterdam and Antwerp in the Netherlands, ports in Great Britain like Southamptopn or Glasgow, in Sweden - Copenhagen or even in France Le Havre. I don't know if there was any rule about the port of departure but I found one person in ancestry.com who emigrated from Tremessen in 1893 through Hamburg harbor.

I think the websites listed in Cyndis' List section about Ports of Departure here: http://www.cyndislist.com/portsdepart.htm will provide you with valuable information. I would also try thoroughly search ancestry.com unless you did it already.

There is one more thing which can interest you. In Poznan Project Database: http://bindweed.man.poznan.pl/posen/search.php I have found four marriages which took place in Trzemeszno in which bride or groom was Wojciak Exclamation The database is in Polish but if you put Wojciak into Nazwisko (surname) field you will get the results with Trzemeszno.

Good Luck Exclamation
Send e-mail
Dolores

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:38 am      Post subject:

Hi Zenon, thank you for the information about the area my grandfather came from, you have given me a lot of new searching places. Thanks again, dolores
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:05 pm      Post subject: immigration ports

Hi Dolores,

Have you tried ; www.ellisislandrecords.com Thia is a free site that has information on every immigrant who passed through Ellis Island.

James
Dolores

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:16 am      Post subject:

Hi Zenon, One of the first places I checked was Ellis Island, I also checked Castle Garden. In doing my research I have found, like in Europe the USA had a number of ports I was unaware of, including some based on the Great Lakes area. The fun part of this research is that at the age of 80 I am still learning new things, gives me renewed energy.
Regards Dolores
Tad Wysocki

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 am      Post subject:

Hi dear Dolores,
Here Tad, the Zenon's assitant in Poland with any further search. Here is my thoughts, after as deep as possible my analysis: It's possible that Wojciak is not the right spelled Polish surname of your Grandpa. I see it, like many others after immigration, as possible shortened. I've crossed all databases of 2009 Trzemeszno (Tremessen under Germany) and all Ellis Island database, and found strange but maybe interesting for you immigrants with EI:
# Wujciakowski, Anton from Tremessen imm 1905 as 15 years old
# Wujciamoth, Marcianna from Tremessen imm 1906 as 52 y old
# more Wujciamo....., etc.
And really, my old Polish eyes see this very strange surname "Wujciamoth" as Wujciakowski! BUT! this not the end of the mystery, I see all these "Wujciakowski", "Wujciamoth", etc. as Polish... WOJCIECHOWSKI, and this may be God's gift: in this old Germany Tremessen - and Polish 2009 Trzemeszno is still living:
Anna Wojciechowska, Trzemeszno, Poland
Maria Wojciechowska, Trzemeszno, Poland
Jerzy Wojciechowski, Trzemeszno, Poland
Stanislaw Wojciechowski, Trzemeszno, Poland
Stefan Wojciechowski, Trzemeszno, Poland
(source: Polish censuses 1990, 2002, and 2009 phone directory).
=
I can be wrong, if yes, please apologise my message and work. If not, my advice would be to search all records with surname Wojciechowski and few versions of it. Please tell me the results, if not, I can dig more and more, even to other side of the planet Smile
The other possible surnames from Poland are: Wojcik, and Wozniak.
With the most cordial greetings from your grandpa's old country open 2009 Poland.
Tad
Dolores

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:03 pm      Post subject:

Dear Tad, Thank you so much for the information, I had looked under several different spellings but never Wojciehowska or ski, this will be another search tool for me. I really apreciate your doing this search for me. I believe my Grandpa came to the USA around 1888/1890 for my Dad's oldest half- sister was born here in 1892. Every little bit helps. Thank you again. sincerely Dolores
Tad Wysocki

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:27 am      Post subject:

Dear Dolores,
I see you and me, we are the searchers that never give up! Let's try to make other analysis, giving other Trzemeszno in Poland:
Although friend Zenon told your Trzemeszno may be small local town located east of Poznan (area of Prussia-Germany in the 19th century) all must know there are three places in Poland named Trzemeszno... and all three are located in western part of Poland, in the Poznan area, and all belonged to Prussia-Germany. Yes, as Zenon told, the only Trzemeszno was named in German as Tremessen, located east of Poznan, but it's possible that your Grandpa Andrew (Andrzej?) Wojciak's ancestral place of his birth, beloved childhood, and all his Polish ancestors place of living was other Trzemeszno - a village located south of Poznan, near local town Krotoszyn.
If yes, we can find in this 2009 Trzemeszno near town Krotoszyn, amongst 282 inhabitants:
# Franciszek Wojcik & family Wojcik, Trzemeszno, Poland
# Marian Wojcik & family Wojcik, Trzemeszno, Poland
And this surname Wojcik (fully in Polish spelled as Wo~jcik - o with Polish grammar diacritical mark over the letter) might be told phonetically in the US as Wojciak.
Does this ring any bells? If yes, I can invite you cordially to visit this place virtually in 2009 Poland, the gmina (administrative commune) is Rozdrazew, and here is this Rozdrazew and Trzemeszno on the detailed map of Poland, you have zoom in (przybliz) and out (oddal) there:
http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?x=396785&y=435986&zoom=3
Finally, here is the short virtual tour to this area, using gmina Rozdrazew website, you can see possible family ancestral church and parich in Rozdrazew, we can read from this webpage that in this old village Trzemeszno some old buildings have survived: the local pimary school building from abt 1880, the smithy from the XIX century, the home building from abt 1910, the inn from 1892, and of course near this village Trzemeszno the church in Rozdrazew constructed in 1640 - please see the image:
http://www.rozdrazew.pl/index.php?pid=124
=
That's all for today I can show you about this Trzemeszno. No doubt it may be wonderful to find your Andrew with the US immigration records, if not Ellis Island, it may be Castle Garden, Baltimore, and other ports, please try to use for eg this website to find him with the US databases:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start
=
Have in US a nice all 2009 Autumn,
Your, Tad from Warsaw, Poland
Dolores

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:15 am      Post subject:

Hi Tad, so glad to hear from you again, I have not had the time to follow up on the sites you gave me, however, I noticed you are from Warsaw, my Mothers parents are from the parish in Rajgrod "Blessed Virgin Mary".Grandpa Jozef Dzielak was born in Selistowka his father was Mathias Dzielak, his mother Rose Korzeniecka, they had 11 children 7 girls 4 boys. I received this information from the Sisters of St Joseph of the third Order of St. Francis Stevens Point Wisconsin, Jozef's sister Stephanie (Sister Mary Cleophas). This was originaly a Polish order of nuns. Grandma was Alexandra Paszkowski(a). She was born in Zrobki, the only other information I have on her as they both belong to the same parish and it was about 125 miles NE of Warsaw and the parish was in the Discezja Elcka and dates back to the 15th Century. Jozef was in the Russian Army and came to the USA in about 1896 Alexandra arrived here in about 1903 (this was an arranged marriage he was 30 and she was 19 at least this is what I was told) this is the information I have been able to gather up. Neither spoke much about their lives in Poland/Russia except Alexandra (she loved to read) that they used to hide their reading material so the Russians wouldn't find it. If you have any of searching this information out and letting me know if it is correct I really would appreciate it. I neither speak or read Polish so I don't know if I understand what I'm looking at. I am the eldest decendent of both sets of families which means I am tracking down 4 different families of mine and 4 on my husband's side. Thanks again, sincerely Dolores
Tad Wysocki

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:14 am      Post subject:

It must be God's gift, after checking Polish censuses and phone directories I see in 2009 Poland:

In this village SOLISTOWKA (not Selistowka):
# Marian Dzielak, Solistowka, Poland, ph. no: +87 642 57 13
(the full Polish name is Dziel~ak - Polish grammar L as slashed)

In this parish RAJGROD, so beatifully located on the lake in NE Poland:
# Barbara Dzielak, Rajgrod, Poland,ph. no: +87 272 17 05

Dear Dolores, seems it's time to ask Zenon and his firm Inpassa Origin to start to prepare your of any of yours' visit to your family maybe uncovered in these Solistowka, and Rajgrod. If not this year, maybe in the next one.

I wish the best family memory journey on the planet, here is the both family Dzielak's ancestral home and parish Solistowka and Rajgrod with detailed map of Poland:
http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?x=743336&y=657992&zoom=3
And from our Angels' view:
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=53.7418077&lon=22.7343178&z=13&l=28&m=h

Your, Tad
Tadeusz Wysocki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: