PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Krzeszow Parishes
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:08 pm      Post subject: Krzeszow Parishes

Hello,
My mother was from Krzeszow, Krzeszow, Poland and immigrated with her family around 1911. Does anyone know how big this region is or how many parishes are there? I only see the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary online. If she was from Krzeszow, Krzeszow, then would this be it? I would like to know where to look for the records for my family. Thanks. (surnames: WALILKO, DACZYNSKA, DZIEWA).

Last edited by Kapusta on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 pm      Post subject:

Hi Kapusta,
There is more than one Krzeszow in Poland. Do you have any clues about which one is your mother's village?

An Ellis Island search using only the town name Krzeszow gives about 320 results and your surnames show in the results for Krzeszow, Russia. So this is a clue that your mom may have been from the Krzeszow in the Subcarpathian area. Do you have any additional clues from your mom?

Shellie
TadWysocki

Replies: 70

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:10 am      Post subject:

Hi Kapusta and Shellie,

Crossing some search databases in Poland, mainly the surname location and Polish census 1990, 2002, together with Polish old white pages, I was ready to find in the only one Krzeszow in the present-day Poland:
1. Surname Dechnik:
Jan Dechnik, Krzeszow Gorny, Poland
Czeslaw Dechnik, Krzeszow Gorny, Poland
Eugeniusz Dechnik, Krzeszow Gorny, Poland
Maria Danuta Dechnik, Krzeszow Gorny, Poland
2. Surname Daczynski (fully spelled in Polish as Daczyński)
Karolina and Jozef Daczyński, Krzeszow Gorny, Poland
3. Surname Valeko/Walejko(spe?), seems the right one is very rare Walilko (fully spelled in Polish as Waliłko), as I can find in this Krzeszow Gorny:
Franciszek Waliłko, Krzeszow Gorny, Poland
==
You are very lucky, all these family names Dechnik, Walilko, and Daczynski are rare in Poland, and have very old Polish roots, and ethnic heritage, if you want I can tell you in brief their etymology, and history in Poland.

Time to invite you to visit your family Krzeszow Gorny, so beatifully located in SE Poland, on the San river, counting now 489 inhabitants:
This Krzeszow Gorny with Polish Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzesz%C3%B3w_G%C3%B3rny
The family European ancestral province, culture, and heritage is Subcarpatian province:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subcarpathian_Voivodeship
The gmina (community) is Harasiuki, fortunately you have version in English with many information, and local images:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fharasiuki.pl%2F
The additional image of your family ancestral church and parish in Poland could be noted here, please click on small image:
http://www.polskaniezwykla.pl/web/place/19289,krzeszow-zespol-kosciola-pw--narodzenia-nmp.html

Happy virtrual tour to your Krzeszow Gorny Poland!

Tad & his analysis 1-10:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=2045
Kapusta

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:04 pm      Post subject:

Thank you both. Tad, this is more information in one day that I get than in all the four years of my research! How can I thank you? Amazing! Yes, Shellie, you are right, all their documents say Russian Poland. And, the clues I had stated Krzeszow Gorny Poland. I am gathering this information so that I can visit with my daughter. Again, I appreciate your responses so much.

Last edited by Kapusta on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kapusta

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 pm      Post subject:

Tad, could you tell me the etymology of the names Walilko, Daczynski and Dechnik as you mentioned? Can you explain more about their old roots and ethnic heritage? (Photo: Mother is Franciszka Daczynska. Daughters: Mary, Anna and Helen Waliko.) My mother, Mary is in the red shirt. Is this a typical style of shirt from Gorny, Podkarpackie, Krzeszow?

Francis Daczynska Walika and Daughters.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.39 KB
 Viewed:  13496 Time(s)

Francis Daczynska Walika and Daughters.jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:52 pm      Post subject:

Hi Kapusta,
I believe that the complete name of the village Tad so generously supplied is Krzeszów Górny.

The village Krzeszów Górny is in the Gmina called Harasiuki, within Nisko County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship.

It is about:
6 miles (10 km) south-west of the village called Harasiuki.
14 miles (23 km) south-east of Nisko
32 miles (51 km) north-east of Rzeszów.

You should now be able to make some more progress in your research. Smile

Tad,
Gorny means upper, or top, in Polish? Would that suggest that there is a "lower" Krzeszow to the south?

Shellie
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:06 pm      Post subject:

Great photos of a property in Krzeszow Gorny. I love the kitchen stove!

More photos and info about the property for sale in Krzeszow Gorny:
http://otodom.pl/siedlisko-1-24-ha-w-spokojnej-miejscowosci-id18959913.html

There is also a log building on the property - when I visited my cousins in Poland, they showed me a similar building on their farm and it was the house where my ancestor lived - on the beam inside the door was an inscription with the date they built the house: 1898. Now the building is used for storage.

Home for sale Krzeszow Gorny.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  144.18 KB

Home for sale Krzeszow Gorny.jpg

Kapusta

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 pm      Post subject:

Hello again Shellie. Thank you so much for sending the photos of the homes in the area. They are very charming and Poland certainly has its own unique soul and flair. If you email me I would send you a link to a wonderful traditional style folk song that is from Krzeszow that is on YouTube which I just cherish and am fond of. It has those same style log homes in the video. Interesting instruments and singing. I wish I understood what the song means though! So, when if you email me I will send you link to YouTube song and to my family tree on ancestry.

Thanks
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:37 am      Post subject:

Hello to all with the next beatiful day Smile

Sheille, you are absolutely right, Gorny in Polish means upper, Dolny means lower, thus, we can estimate from the history, the first settlers named the new settled place as Krzeszow (located just in the local river San), after that some of them, looking for a new land, settled in NE direction (in abt 3 miles), and named the new place as Krzeszow Gorny, some, moved in SE direction (in 1 mile only), named their new homes and lands as Krzeszow Dolny.

All was located in the 19th century just on the border of Galicia/Austria-Hungary Empire, and Russia Empire, and from the Polish historical sources I see the Krzeszow Gorny (the origin of our Pan Kapusta's family) belonged to "lubelskie" (belonged to Russia).

BTW, all are invited to see our Pan Kapusta family ancestral lands, towns, rivers, woods, small hills, please follow all local roads with computer mouse, with zoom + and -, happy tour!:
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=pl&lat=50.420331&lon=22.405415&z=13&m=h
The family cemetery is located in this Krzeszow Gorny on the northern part of the town.

Dear Pan Kapusta, yes, I can tell you the etymology and origin of your family names, please give me a few hours, I must check it with some sources. For now I can tell you:

You told in one of your messages: "I have seen Woloch...", and maybe your mother left you in one word the treasure, "Woloch" for me it could mean the name of the local nation Woloch (Wołoch), in plural Wolosi (Wołosi), with a very rich historical and cultural history and heritage, this would we in English as famous "Wallachians", which migrated as shepherds from the southern part of Europe in Middle Ages (in abt 16th and 17th century), and populated the mountains, above the line of broadleaved trees, that means above a medium altitude of 650 meters, including the lands of Slovakia, and southern part of the present-day Poland - http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:Vlachs-bgiu.jpg

And the next your question with your Mother's shirt on the picture, the laces were tipical from Poland, as are still popular and traditional, here are the examples from famous Koniakow: http://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:Poland_Koniakow_-_laces.jpg

To see the very traditional folklore costumes from your family ancestral Krzeszow and area, please visit this webpage and click on the last two small pictures: http://harasiuki.pl/galeria/zdjecia/81/

Have a nice all this Friday, see you in a few hours,

Tad
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:54 am      Post subject:

Just to report, still working on these family names, seems I must ask you to give me a few days more, I will reply next week.

In the meantine I want to show you some imagines I was ready to make in Bodaki, one of the Lemkos villages, that's part of the Wallachians roots, all my 2008 summer vacation work I placed on my webpage GA.PA as the part of my non-for-profit website Narodowa.pl trying to preserve and share family memenots, you can read in brief about Lemkos at the bottom of the webpage:

http://www.narodowa.pl/Pamietniki/33/eksponat.htm

Could you give me a little more on your "I have seen Woloch...", have you something from your family documents in the written form?, where you saw the "Woloch"?, have you the name of the parents of your Walil~ko? Please tell me all you have, it would be very interesting to check if the roots are going to Wallachians.

Tad
Kapusta

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:51 pm      Post subject:

Dear Tad and Shellie,

Thanks to you I found the Ellis Island passenger list I was looking for!! I am so happy! They are Walilko as you said in your first response, Tad. This is the surname for them. FRANCISZKA WALILKO address: KRZESZOW, GORNY, LUBLIN.

Thank you for letting me know about the tradition of lace. Also, the traditional clothes from Krzeszow are beautiful. That example of Polish lacework you sent is amazing!!! Wow! Incredible.

I did not see the name WOLOCH on a document. However, yesterday I found a 1910 Detroit, Michigan census record and 1910 Ellis Island Passenger list for my family that both state WALILKO. I would love to know more about the etmylogy and history, but please take your time, I am in no hurry. Very Happy Very Happy
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:53 am      Post subject:

Hi,

Here is my work as promised, Polish etymology confirms all your family names from Poland are old, having rich roots and ethnic heritage:

DACZYNSKI (fully spelled in Polish as Daczyński - n with Polish grammar diacritical mark over the letter)
The Polish surname Daczyński is patronimic in origin, belongs to that group of old Polish names derived from the Polish language, and old name Dacz, this from very old Polish first name Dalemir, Daniel. The first note about this surname in Poland is going to the 17th century. The second origin of this surname is going to very old Polish language and word "daczka, daćka", meaning a linen, thus, you might find that the surname Dacz - Daczyński applied to the first ancestor in Poland who was a local producer of linen.
The surname branch is found in the variation forms Daczak, Daczek, Daczenko, Daczew, Daczewicz, Daczewski, etc.

DECHNIK
The Polish surname Dechnik is cognominal in origin, belonging to that group of Polish surnames derived from the Polish language, name, and word "Dech", meaning a breath, the surname branch is noted from old Poland from the 16th century, and might be found in the variation forms Decha, Dechla, Dechowicz, Dechow, etc.

WALILKO (Fully spelled in Polish as Waliłko - l with Polish grammar diacritical mark slashing the letter)
The Polish surname Waliłko is patronimic in origin, and has roots going to very old Polish language, and name Wal, noted from the year 1369, this from Polish first name Walenty, Walerian, and/or from Polish words "walić, rozwalać, burzyć, sunąć powoli, ociężale", meaning the person who is specialized in pulling down homes, or going slowly.
The surname Waliłko might be found in Poland in the variation forms Waliło, Walin, Waliniak, Walinek, Walniak, Walnowicz, Walinowski, Waliński, Walis, etc.

With the best good luck in your search and life!

Tadeusz "Tad" Wysocki
Warsaw, Poland
Kapusta

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 pm      Post subject:

Dear Tad,

Thank you so much! That was very interesting background information. It means a lot to me. I will always remember your extraordinary kindness and generosity. It was more than I expected.

I believe that your name, "Tadeusz," is "Thaddeus" in English. That is a beautiful name. I saw a movie from Poland called "Pan Tadeusz" or "Sir Thaddeus" by director Andrzej Wajda. As you know, it is about the national epic poem of Poland. It is also the last epic poem of Europe. It was a fantastic film! I understand that director Andrzej Wajda also made two new documentary films on the lives of actress Helena Modjeska and Lech Walesa. I would like to see these films as well in the future!!!

Thank you once again. I wish you all the best in life as well, as you deserve.

Sandra
Camarillo, California

KostrzewskiFranciszek.Grzybobranie.1860[1].jpg
 Description:
Illustration from the book "Pan Tadeusz"
 Filesize:  100.51 KB

KostrzewskiFranciszek.Grzybobranie.1860[1].jpg

Somebody

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:06 pm      Post subject:

Hello Sandra,
Are you still searching your roots in Krzeszów?
In lubgens database, there is a marriage record of your grandparents Antoni and Franciszka.
Waliłko Antoni - Daczyńska Franciszka Krzeszów (dekanat biłgorajski) 1 1903
Antoni was son of Wojciech and Anna nee Dziewa
Franciszka was daughter of Wojciech and Marianna nee Dziewa

I hope it will help you.
dash

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:06 am      Post subject: Walilko

Hello, I am brand new to these forum things but noted that some people are tracing family Walilko of Krzeszow Gorny...as am I. I have a Franek, Katarzyna, Jozef, Jasiek, Janina and Hania in my family tree.
Can someone advise of how I can trace this family and family Kurzyp/Krzyp? Are there parish records or such?
Much appreciated,
Dash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: