PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 88

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 am      Post subject: Military Service

My great-grandfather was born in the Zakliczyn area of Galicia in 1870. He moved to America in 1912. During his time in Galicia he never served in the military. I always thought military service was mandatory back then...

Does anyone have any idea what the reasons would be for getting out of military service? Did you have to have connections in order to do so?

Thanks!

Lisa Very Happy
Jacek

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:48 pm      Post subject:

Law related to general military obligation was introduced in the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1868.
This happened as a result of changes in the military thought the 19th century and especially in the approach to the training of reserves. Defeat war with Prussia launched in 1866 had also influence on this matter.
Austro-Hungarian Empire was a multinational state in which all nationalities were not treated on equal terms and which were not equally trusted.
Although many Poles achieved quite high levels and ranks in the army in most cases Germans, Hungarians and Austrians were preferred.
Not knowing the circumstances of your grandfather it is difficult to answer why ha has not been drafted into the Army.
The most important thing is the fact that not all young men were appointed to serve.
Leaving aside the matter of nationality, to the appointment of influence: family status (e.g. the only breadwinner of the family was the reason to release from service), health status, or simply the desire to avoid service in different ways.
Your great-grandfather went before the outbreak of World War I, however, Austria has participated in several conflict, primarily in the Balkan Cauldron (the war with Turkey in 1878 r). Involving in Bosnia and Herzegovina could lead to the death and rather not all Poles wanted to die for the emperor.
Service in the Army took 2 years, in the Navy 4 years. Additional stay for a period of several years in the reserve should be added to the time of service .
Smile
Lisa

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:30 pm      Post subject: Military Service

Thank you for your reply.

My great-grandfather was in excellent health for most of his life. He also did not have to support a family at the time when he was eligible to be drafted into the military. Is it possible that someone of importance could have helped get him out of his military obligations?

Lisa : )
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 am      Post subject: military service

My father had seen a document, written in russian, that stated that his grandfather, my great grandfather, had served in the russian army. ( unfortunatly I do not have that document )
The area my great grandfather lived in , was governed by russia
( Wloclawek, Pruszkow ) , and I have heard that it was mandatory for all Polish men living in the russian sector, to serve in the army. This is one of the reasons that all men had to register in the towns they lived in, so the russians would know how many men they could draft into the army, if needed. I've heard and read that many men tried to get out of service, for the same reason mentioned above, they did not want to die for the czars of russia.
But lets not forget that millions of Poles died for Poland, as they fought against the nazi and soviets, in WWII. So it was not a case of not wanting to be in the army, but what army they wanted to be in.
Lisa

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:20 pm      Post subject: Military Service

Thank you for your response.

My great-grandfather, while from Luslawice, Galicia, on official records frequently referred to himself as either Russian or Austrian.

Would you have any idea how draft registration worked in Austria?

Thanks for your help. It's truly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: