PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:04 am      Post subject: Can you help me translate writing on back of photo?

My family came from the village Odrowaz, near (east of) Czarny Dunajec and Nowy Targ. Last week I got some photos from a cousin who I tracked down during my family research. His grandfather and grandmother were both born in Odrowaz, so I think my chances are pretty good that this photo was taken in that village or nearby. I wonder if the message on the back will provide any clues. Would someone be kind enough to read it for me?
Thank you,
Shellie

Kadlub family album photo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.57 KB
 Viewed:  6837 Time(s)

Kadlub family album photo.jpg

Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:29 am      Post subject:

Hi Shellie Smile ,

The message reads:
"This is my wife and children. The daughter's name is Marysia (Marianna), son is Staś (Stanisław) and the one in arms is a son and his name is Mietek (Mieczysław)."

Does it give you any clues Question I haven't found any Mieczyslaw in your tree (at least in the version I have from our tour).
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:49 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much Zenon! These photos belonged to Marianna Blęka who married my great-grandmother's brother, John Kadłub on 12 JAN 1927. Marianna Blęka was born in 1905, and I did get her record during my tour, and that of her brother Franciszek. Interestingly, Franciszek's record also had a notation that he married Maria Matyja on the same date that Marianna married John Kadłub.

So the author of the note on the back of the photo is male, perhaps Franciszek. Anyone want to guess the date? 1940's?
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:32 am      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Anyone want to guess the date? 1940's?

The eldest, Stanislaw, seems to be about 11-14 years old. If they married in 1927 it is possible that the picture was taken around 1940.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:53 pm      Post subject:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if my hunch is right! Here is another view of the children. I think it says "these are my children."

my mystery relatives.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  923.5 KB
 Viewed:  6835 Time(s)

my mystery relatives.jpg

Tad-TadeuszWysocki

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:44 am      Post subject:

Hi Shellie,

I see your efforts to collect all about your family old country Poland, I see also wonderful pics as Polish family mementos you were ready to share with us in Poland, here is for you the wonderful information, in this old Polish Gorals (Highlanders) village Odrowaz is still living and farming the family Bleka, from 2009 Poland ph dir:
# Jan Bleka, and family Bleka, village Odrowaz, Poland, ph.no: +18 275 82 03 & +18 275 86 75

Interesting would be to know if Pan Jan and his family could recognise any of the people on the photographs sent by you.

Also, you must note, in this village Odrowaz are still living:
# Stanislaw Kadlubek & family Kadlubek, village Odrowaz, Poland
# Teresa Kadlubek & family Kadlubek, village Odrowaz, Poland
This very small info may give you possibility that your family name Kadlub in the US was Kadlubek from Poland, but this must be checked and researched by you with local parish books/records.

Hope this helps a bit in your invaluable search,

Tad

PS. Did you visit (even virtually) this beatiful area of Polish mountains? If not, here is the vue from sattelite, you have the zoom in and out, you can follow the roads of your ancestors from Poland, you can see the family local holy parish and church, you can see even the local cemetery where all ancestors were burried in Poland:

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=49.5019144&lon=19.8517799&z=14&l=28&m=h
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:31 pm      Post subject:

Tad,
How kind of you to share this info with me! Actually, I did visit Odrowaz this past summer with Zenon. You can read my blog here: http://blog.polishorigins.com/category/shellies-tour/

The information I gathered while I was in the village helped me to determine that my great-uncle was married to Marianna Bleka, but I did not have time to look for any Bleka relatives. Yes, I would be very interested to know if Jan would recognize any of these people in the photos. I hope to go back to Poland some day soon and be better prepared now that I have learned so much.

Tad, you have much knowledge about this area - tell me - are you from Podhale?

I would like to keep in contact with anyone who is researching this part of Poland, or lives there now. I am especially interested in any photos of people or places taken in the area before 1930.

Shellie
Tad-TadeuszWysocki

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:34 am      Post subject:

Oh my, I forgot, it's you dear Shellie, who shared with on this website one of the best family memory tour diary on the planet! Kulawiaks from Poland!! No, I'm not from Podhale, this is Zenon's origin, I'm from Warsaw, but loving all parts of Poland - every place is full of family memory and heritage, our big joy is helping Americans in discovering family roots from every piece of Polish land, with all the best to you and all yours in the US and... Poland!, Tad
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am      Post subject:

Tad-TadeuszWysocki wrote:
No, I'm not from Podhale, this is Zenon's origin (...)

I do come from the mountains area however not from Podhale but from Podkarpacie (or Subcarpathia) with a little lower hills than Tatra mountains. And I am writing this now from there (or here) Smile .

Shellie wrote:
Here is another view of the children. I think it says "these are my children."

That's right Shellie, it exactly says: "these are my children also".
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: