PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:11 am      Post subject: Chara

I am just learning about this site and registered today. I have learn't so much already.

I am looking for any information on the surname name CHARA.

Kind regards Sylvia Australia
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:44 pm      Post subject:

Hello Sylvia! It is a great pleasure to welcome another guest from Downunder on our Forum Smile .

I have looked for the surname Chara in two, in my opinion, the best and most credible books about Polish surnames:

- Nazwiska Polaków (Surnames of Poles) by proffesor Kazimierz Rymut, published in 1991 Wroclaw-Warszawa-Krakow

- Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings by William F. Hoffman, published in 1998 in Chicago.

Unfortunately, none of them describe the surname Chara. The closest in sounding from Rymut book is surname Charka: from Polish charchać, charkać "to cough, to hawk, clear one's throat".

According to national database from 2002, compiled also by prof. Rymut, there were about 330 people by the surname Chara living in Poland. Most of them, about 160, lived in area of four counties: Tarnobrzeg, Sandomierz, Nisko and Stalowa Wola. The area you can find on google map here: http://tinyurl.com/2knx2s

There is also a second edition of Nazwiska Polakow of Prof. Rymut but very hard to get. However, sonner or later I will get it, check there the surname and let you know if there is any more about Chara.

Cheers!
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: