PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:18 pm      Post subject: Interview your relatives!

By interviewing your relatives you can gain most precious information - "jewels" in your genealogy collection.

Not long ago, together with my father, we talked with my almost 90 years old grandma (and his mom). My father was surprised by many details he wasn't aware and his mom started to reveal. (My father's father died when he was three and he knew very little about him.)

Now I have everything recorded on hard disk, including my grandmother's voice... This is my jewel.

And I just came across interesting website encouraging to interviewing your relatives and describing National Day of Listening, November 27, 2009. A day after Thanksgiving day in the US.

Click here for the website: http://www.nationaldayoflistening.org/ where can be also found Great Question:

What was the happiest moment of your life?
What are you most proud of?
What are the most important lessons you've learned in life?
What is your earliest memory?
How would you like to be remembered?

And interview your relatives, before it is too late!

Last edited by Zenon on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:16 pm      Post subject:

Zenon,
I couldn't agree more - interview them before it is too late! Those who read my Forefathers Traces Tour blog will remember my heartbreak when my 88 year old great Aunt died shortly after I visited her for the first time in 20 years. Luckily I recorded every minute of our weekend visit and have some wonderful memories preserved forever.

I am convinced that every family historian should have a recorder. Mine is very small and quite easy to use. It is an RCA digital voice recorder (VR5220) with a built in USB port so I can download my recordings directly to my computer as an MP3 file.

http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/product.aspx?product=416

I got mine at Walmart for about 35 dollars. There are many others out there, so I can't comment on whether this one is better or worse than others, but it's very easy to use and records hundreds of hours. I even forgot to turn it off one night when we were looking at family records in Poland and I have an extra 9 hours of snoring as a keepsake from my trip LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: