PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:19 am      Post subject: Flight to Europe - our experience.

Dear friends,

I would like to ask our experienced forum members, who already have been traveling to this part of the world, to share their knowledge.

What airlines do you recommend? Where to buy the air tickets?
Is there anything that MUST be checked? We will appreciate any advice for those who are planning their journey now.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Visit poster's website
trishsa2
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 110

Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:56 pm      Post subject:

Great Idea Aga. I hope to be planning a trip to Lithuania (Vilno area) and possible Belarus this summer. Any helpful tips would be so appreciated. Trishsa : )
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:01 pm      Post subject: Re: Flight tickets to Europe

Aga Pawlus wrote:

What airlines do you recommend? Where to buy the air tickets?
Is there anything that MUST be checked? We will appreciate any advice for those who are planning their journey now.

No particular airlines, but rather airports.

The biger the airport, the more complicated stopover (if you need any).

If you happen to have a direct flight from your American city to Warsaw, that is the best choice, provided prices are reasonnable. Try to plan in advance, buying tickets long time in advance.

If you do not have a direct flight, then try to make your European stopover in well organised airport.

If you have a stopover in one of four big: Heathrow, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, you must have time to change (unless you are flying with the same carrier). Beware that Paris-CDG is one name hiding a city of 9 airports (Terminal 1, Terminal 3, Terminal 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, now 2G) , you will need a lot of time to change between Terminals. The same for Heathrow.

Munich is well known to be very friendly, with excellent service. Zurich is good
Warsaw is one of best and fastest airports.

Bon voyage!
Elzbieta
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 pm      Post subject:

I have flown into Copenhagen , Denmark, on my last two visits to Poland, 2009 and 2013. I flew SAS airline, and their fee was the least expensive, and the flights were fine, with good service. Copenhagen was a large airport, but not like London or Paris, and was very easy to navigate. I did make sure that my departure time was at least one hour or more after my arrival, in case my flight was late arriving, and also you never know how long the line will be at the customs office. ( passport checkpoint )

james
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:41 pm      Post subject:

I had good experiences flying from San Francisco non-stop to either Munich or Frankfurt via Lufthansa. I then took a short hop via LOT to Warsaw. Frankfurt was a bit busier and cramped in the terminals, but I had no issues connecting. Munich terminals were large, cleaner and efficient.

Lufthansa is typically not a cheap ticket..you likely can do better price-wise. I was told to avoid connecting in Heathrow if at all possible. Others' advice to book early on the longest portion of your trip is wise.

Jim/ Polska visitor in 2007 and 2010
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 am      Post subject:

In the first two parts of Mary Ann blog 'My Journey to Poland' which is being just published: http://blog.polishorigins.com/2014/01/24/my-journey-to-poland-part-1/ and http://blog.polishorigins.com/2014/01/27/my-journey-to-poland-day-2/ you will read about interesting observations about, for example, navigating in the Frankfurt airport. Very similar experience I heard before from our guests landing in Poland and having change in this huge German's airport.
Send e-mail

Jump to: