PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:28 am      Post subject: Polish traditional costumes - stroje ludowe

Of course the most recognized abroad is the traditional costume from Podhale. But clothes in Poland were different in each region.

I have found this excellent website about Polish traditional costumes:
http://strojeludowe.net/#bilgorajski

They are presenting 38 different costumes from the whole area of contemporary Poland.
There are the modern (color) photos, but also it is a great collection of old photographs!

I think that this might be useful for you to compare with your old family photographs or just to enjoy the beauty and the variety of Polish culture.

You can also post here the photos of your ancestors wearing the traditional costumes.

stroje ludowe2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95 KB
 Viewed:  4866 Time(s)

stroje ludowe2.jpg

stroj ludowy.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  240.88 KB

stroj ludowy.png

Visit poster's website
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:06 pm      Post subject:

Aga...

While not traditional Polish clothing, it may be close. This picture was taken in 1895 in Chicago, seven years after Elizabeth, Franciska, Veronica and their mother Catherine Bejenka (sitting) immigrated. They were all from Cotoń, a small village about 75 km northeast of Poznan.

The reason I posted the image is because the hat or scarf and large bow that Catherine is wearing appears to be similar to a number of similar decorative scarves I saw when I browsed the images from the link you posted. That feature didn't appear to be from one area, but seemed rather common in a lot of areas.

Because they had not been in America very long, and lived in a Polish community in Chicago, I suspect they may have brought the clothing they are wearing with them. Or maybe bought clothing to match what they were used to in "the old country".

Richard

1895 Frances (Bejenka) Polek and her sisters and mother-small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  762.64 KB

1895 Frances (Bejenka) Polek and her sisters and mother-small.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: