PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 pm      Post subject: origin of Penernosk surname

So We just uncovered some records of my great great grandmother Pauline Penernosk, who married my Ukrainian great great grandfather, of whom we have WAYYYYY more information about.

so I began to do some research and NO WHERE does anyone have the last name Penernosk, which makes it seem as though the document that we got this name from is either inaccurate or isn't the correct name?

I did some research and Pener/Penner is a Polish surname of primarily Jewish origin which could be a possibility, but the "nosk" ending sounds more Russian to me in general, but idk. Maybe it has a -ski, -ska, -ovitch ending that was omitted from the form? idk

I know this is a HUGE long shot since I don't have all the information I need, but based on your knowledge and exposure does "Penernosk" sound more Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, or is it something other than these 3 entirely.

Many Thanks!
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:25 am      Post subject:

Sean,

According to Google translate "penner" is German, and means in French clochard, in English vagabond, bagman.
Menonite encyclopedia gives an extensive description
http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Penner_family_name

In Polish double consons are infrequent, so after a while those "unnecessary to Polish ear" could be disappearing in writing (Penner -> Pener, Hoffmann -> Hofman, etc.)

I believe we had on this forum few examples with German names in 1800's getting -ski (or -ska for women) after a while, to accomodate Polish ears.

Penner in today Poland (23 cases, all in the North, suggesting possible Prussian origin)
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Penner
and Pener (1 case)
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/pener.html

Do you have any origical record with Pauline's name handwritten? Deciphering is always tricky, and if the deciphering person is not native speaker, random suffixes happen (-nosk instead of -noski, or -nski, etc.)

Best,
Elzbieta
sean.farrell

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:24 pm      Post subject:

sorry for the delay! I found out that it was most likely not penner or penner so Penernosk must be Penerski/Penersky or Peneranosky or something. I don't know if I will ever know haha ughhhhhh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: