PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:22 am      Post subject: Is it possible for some immigrants to bypass customs?

Hello all,
This is a probably a silly question. My best friend (who married a guy of polish descent) was told by his family that their ancestors "were so wealthy", that they didn't have to go through registration at Ellis Island. I'm not sure if they came through there or Baltimore, but it sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. Is this possible? I find it hard to believe, with the condtions in Galicia, that ANYBODY was wealthy, and that the U.S would allow that to happen. How would somebody, even IF they had money, get to bypass immigration? I did a paper on immigration to the U.S recently, and there were so many restrictive laws in effect up until 1926 or so, that I find that hard to believe. As a matter of fact, there was a law passed (right after my ggrandmother came over) in 1907 that specifically restricted immigrants of Eastern European descent.
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:13 pm      Post subject:

Sounds like it started to happen, then the government stepped in to the picture to correct the corruption. You must remember that the government had "quotas" and didn't want a lot of immigrants taking over the jobs of others that were already citizens.

Some things never change.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OyL6JatN5KwC&pg=PA98&lpg=PA98&dq=wealthy+bypass+ellis+island&source=bl&ots=HVJsJcwvld&sig=3U_kJxq_ztAl-QwMvT63AMhXxS8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Vm2jU_TUIsGGyATM6YDIDw&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=wealthy%20bypass%20ellis%20island&f=false

So your answer is sometimes, but mostly no.
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:55 pm      Post subject:

Michelle...after a lot of looking I eventually found what I thought was an ancestor that arrived in NY, but had traveled in first class, rather than steerage. They appeared on the passenger manifest, just like all the other passengers. But I think the process of their arrival was a lot different.

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently those traveling in first class were not required to go through the long lines. Instead, the customs officials would come aboard and interview them in their cabins...or something like that. Also, they probably weren't required to go through the medical screenings either. My guess is that if the immigrant had enough money, it probably made arrival a lot easier for them, but they still would need to be processed and documented.

Richard
Wally1049

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 pm      Post subject: By pass customs

Yes it is possible to by pass customs.This is how it was most likely done from what I found.Most families could only send one person.Usally they were between 18to 25Years old . They then would work and save money to bring over another family member. Instead of sending it over to the family;they would pay an agent of the shipping lines.This agent would make air arrangements to contact his overseas counterpart. Who would contact the family and make all necessary travel arrangements.When person came to US.;The US agent would then walk them off ship and send them to destination.This is what I found out through some of my research.
Send e-mail
Wally1049

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm      Post subject: Bypass

Meant to say all
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: