PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:12 pm      Post subject: Question-Contacting Catholic Parishes for Records

I sent letters of request for records/information to six Catholic Church parishes in Poland at the end of March of this year and have received no reply. One parish I had even emailed last October and there still has not been a response.

I know that parish offices are busy places and even though they are smaller village areas for the most part, I didn't think it would take this long to receive a response.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? If not - does anyone have any insights/suggestions?

Thank you.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Question-Contacting Catholic Parishes for Records

Mountain Path wrote:
I sent letters of request for records/information to six Catholic Church parishes in Poland at the end of March of this year and have received no reply. One parish I had even emailed last October and there still has not been a response.

I know that parish offices are busy places and even though they are smaller village areas for the most part, I didn't think it would take this long to receive a response.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? If not - does anyone have any insights/suggestions?

Thank you.

I see in your profile that the records you are looking for are older than 100 years old. They are kept either in State Archives or in Diocese Archives.

Ambroski from Juncewo:
You can request the LDS film:
Akta urodzeń, małżeństw, zgonów 1808-1861 - FHL INTL Film [ 741956 Items 11-12 ]
or
request a copy to Poznan State Archive (more expensive and complicated)
Archiwum Państwowe w Poznaniu
60-967, Poznań 23 lutego 41/43 Stare Miasto
email: [email protected]
www.poznan.ap.gov.pl

You can also wait if ZoSIA makes it available online:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/3327/0/?q=juncewo&wynik=14&rpp=15&page=1#tabSerie

Gilberto
Send e-mail
sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:15 pm      Post subject: responses from parishes

Hi,

From personal experience, - sad to say, most letters don't receive a response. And even when you are there in person, the priests may not have time to talk to you, or to find and share the record books with you.
They are busy with their own people and parish activities - as it should be. Bless those few who are able to take the time.

sheep17
Mountain Path

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 pm      Post subject:

Dear Magroski 49

Thank you however, for those particular records that you mentioned I both emailed and wrote to the Poznan State archive.....I have not received an answer from them either, so have contacted someone at the Poznan Marriage project for some help with that.

I may try writing to the different Diocesan archives offices for the parishes involved.

Thanks.
Mountain Path

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 pm      Post subject:

Dear Sheep 17,

I totally understand about the priests/staff being busy. (I used to work for 6 rural Catholic parishes) Just sad...because the resources to get more information about my family without those records is simply not there.

Thanks for answering.
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:22 pm      Post subject:

I think most priest should answer to letters, but the culprit is language barrier. I bet priests in Poland do not speak english, so writing letter in polish language is a must. Another nice custom would be including a return ticket, maybe with clean envelope to cover reply costs. Third important thing is to include in question as much information as You know, preferably exact dates of B,M,D. Priests do not like doing genealogical work, but they have will to give concrete info. Last but not least important thing is to give a small subscription, like include in envelope small amount of money in advance, that way person that receive it is more obligued to answer Wink
Mountain Path

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:24 pm      Post subject:

Dear Sirdan,

Thank you for answering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: