PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:24 am      Post subject: Help Finding Village

I have been unable to find the village that my GGG Grandfather lived in. This church record attached is from Bessarabia Russia family book. It shows the place of birth of both him and his wife, his on the first line, hers on the second. I think I have determined that his wife was born in D(T)amischla (now Nowy Tomsyl) but I cannot decipher the name of the village he was born in on the first line next to the 1779.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Jakob Birth City.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.78 KB
 Viewed:  2281 Time(s)

Jakob Birth City.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:40 am      Post subject: Re: Help Finding Village

GenBuff wrote:
I have been unable to find the village that my GGG Grandfather lived in. This church record attached is from Bessarabia Russia family book. It shows the place of birth of both him and his wife, his on the first line, hers on the second. I think I have determined that his wife was born in D(T)amischla (now Nowy Tomsyl) but I cannot decipher the name of the village he was born in on the first line next to the 1779.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,

Just wanted to be sure:
* Bessarabia Russia family book is from geographical area corresponding to Bessarabia, i.e. today Moldova more or less, 1400 kilometers from Poznan's area where Nowy Tomyśl is situated?
* the posted record has been recorded in (1) Nowy Tomyśl, by a scribe speaking Polish/German and writing in Latin? or (2) has been recorded in Bessarabia/Moldova?

The URL below is in German, and gives some geographic names as it was over time
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowy_Tomy%C5%9Bl

It's Friday, I am making an almost random guess for
Sękowo, Nowy Tomyśl County, Pologne

Sękowo - or rather Sękowskie Holendry (a village with Dutch organisation) is here, with variants on its name:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_X/469

Best,
Elzbieta
GenBuff

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:17 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much Elbieta.

My apologies that I wasn't more clear on the record location. The family book that this record was in is from Kulm, Bessarabia. My GGGG-Grandfather migrated from Poland to Bessarabia, now Moldovia, in 1814. The last known location for his family in Poland was Semlin, now Zamlynie, Zdunska Wola, Lodz in 1806 where his son, Michael was born.

The marriage to the spouse from Nowy Tomsyl took place in Kulm, Bessarabia also so I'm not sure if they both originated in the Nowy Tomsyl area.

The record was written by a German scribe. I have no way of knowing if the recorder spoke Polish or not.

I will check into the records for Sekowo and see what I come up with.

Thanks again for the suggestion. It is greatly appreciated.

Deb
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:22 pm      Post subject:

Deb,

The most rewarding on the PO forum is learning fascinating histories.
I did not know anything about Bessarabia Germans, just browsed it now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessarabia_Germans

Then the story about Kulm, explaining origin of that settlement
http://grhs.org/vr/vhistory/kulm.htm
(the whole project http://grhs.org/vr/vhistory.htm )

About Kulm (Culm):
"Originally there were 80 families that settled in the colony who came together from Poland, later 28 Wuerttenbergers from other established colonies settled in Culm to bring the total to 108 families. The majority of the settlers were born in Poland and their ancestors had been born in Prussia and had immigrated to Poland. The previous homeland of these ancestors was in the Posen Duchy and others from the districts of Plotzk, Kalish and Warshau. Only one family was from the Brandenburg province in Prussia."

That gives the much bigger area to search for the place, not only Nowy Tomysl.

Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: