PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 am      Post subject: Louise Boyd "Polish countryside"

Have you ever heard about Louise Boyd, famous american traveller and explorer in 20's and 30's?

She was the first woman to fly over the North Pole. Because of her successful scientific expeditions to Greenland and Norway she was also called “Arctic Diana” and “The Girl Who Tamed the Arctic”.

Less known fact is Louise's journey to Poland. Accordingly to Wikipedia she was elected as a delegate to the International Geographical Congress in Warsaw in 1934. Using that opportunity Louise set out on a 3 month journey across the Polish countryside photographing and recording the customs, dress, economy and culture of the people. The journey, by car, rail, boat and on foot took her first from Lviv to Kovel (these towns are in the Ukraine today), and then to Kobrin – Pinsk – Kletsk – Nesvizh – Slonim (in today's Belarus). She finished the journey in Vilno.

Her travel narrative was supplemented with over 500 photographs. "Polish countryside" by Louise Boyd was published by the American Geographical Society in 1937.

I have been searching in the internet this book: the online edition, ebook, paper version to buy... no success.
However I came across some of Louise's photographs from that journey!

Pictures' source: http://www.zwoje-scrolls.com/zwoje38/text16p.htm

pol10.jpg
 Description:
Two old men from Polesie region.
 Filesize:  48.85 KB
 Viewed:  7688 Time(s)

pol10.jpg

pol09.jpg
 Description:
Fisherman's wife with a child and pig.
 Filesize:  50.33 KB

pol09.jpg

pol06.jpg
 Description:
Fisherman's wife and children in front of the house.
 Filesize:  39.69 KB

pol06.jpg

pol02.jpg
 Description:
Fisherman on the Prypeć river.
 Filesize:  35.14 KB

pol02.jpg

Visit poster's website
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:34 pm      Post subject:

I really like watching such old photos. Even some people were positioned, we can see preserved their clothes or whats behind them. Typical person like me know nothing about foreign observers and how they presented Poland abroad. I only know there was some guy filming Poland/Warsaw during the WWII.
Aga, if you really want to buy this book, i found two auctions, one delivery from Spain, second in popular auction portal in Poland (cheaper), both books published in Poland (1991)
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:59 am      Post subject:

sirdan,

Thank you so much for finding it!
This book published in 1991 is re-edition made by Znak publishing house (I was previously looking for the original version only).

I just bought it so I hope that soon I will be able to share with you some more photos or stories Smile

Thank you again!
Aga
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: