PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 pm      Post subject: How do I go about requesting records from State Archives?

Hello,

I think I have exhausted my search in the online databases that have scanned records. Now I have to start requesting records from the State Archive or from the Archdiocese of Plock.

For example, Geneteka index shows a marriage record for my G-grandfather, Antoni Zolnierzak to Magdalena Kupis in 1858 in Zambski. There is no scanned image in Geneteka. I tried to email the person who created the index, but I get an error message saying email is not available. The 1858 book for Zambski is not in Metrakyl or Poczekalnia. The Archdiocese and the State Archive has the book but it is not scanned.

I do not speak or write Polish, and I don't know the process. Is it easier to work with the State Archives or the Archdiocese? How do I place the request? Is there a charge for the service? How do I pay for it? What is the proper protocol in asking?

Can someone explain this to me or point me in the right direction to find the answers?

Thanks for your help! All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:57 am      Post subject: Re: How do I go about requesting records from State Archives

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

I think I have exhausted my search in the online databases that have scanned records. Now I have to start requesting records from the State Archive or from the Archdiocese of Plock.

For example, Geneteka index shows a marriage record for my G-grandfather, Antoni Zolnierzak to Magdalena Kupis in 1858 in Zambski. There is no scanned image in Geneteka. I tried to email the person who created the index, but I get an error message saying email is not available. The 1858 book for Zambski is not in Metrakyl or Poczekalnia. The Archdiocese and the State Archive has the book but it is not scanned.

I do not speak or write Polish, and I don't know the process. Is it easier to work with the State Archives or the Archdiocese? How do I place the request? Is there a charge for the service? How do I pay for it? What is the proper protocol in asking?

Can someone explain this to me or point me in the right direction to find the answers?

Thanks for your help! All the best,
Cynthia

Cynthia,

You can write in English, though the answer will be in Polish. They will ask you to make a deposit (25 or 50 zlotys, not refundable) to start the search. A scanned copy (A4 size) will cost 2 or 4 zlotyz)". Try first the State Archive; the diocese is more complicated. If you have the number of the record you should mention it, because that will save them time, and money for you.

and Dave has written:

"Funds to any state archive in Poland must be deposited into the archive's bank account. The most efficient way to do this is via wire transfer. Most banks, credit unions, etc. can do the transfer. Unfortunately the fee banks charge for the transfer is outrageous and varies greatly from financial institution to institution. Not long ago I sent a wire transfer to the Wloclawek branch of the Torun archive and the least expensive fee was from a credit union for $40.00. Since the deposit of 25 Polish Zloty is just over $8.00 USD it would cost a total of $48.00 to get the ball rolling. In my case I knew that the archive held about 30 documents which I wanted so I sent enough to cover 10 hours of research fees and enough for the copies plus a little extra. My thoughts were that I would rather give the archive something extra rather than to have to pay a bank another $40.00 for a total of $80.00 in bank fees. It all worked out well for me but I don't know that such an approach would be a wise financial move for you.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2792

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:22 am      Post subject:

Cynthia,

As luck would have it, in this case there is an easier, probably faster, and less expensive way for you to obtain a copy of the marriage record of your great grandparents. The LDS church has microfilmed records from the parish of Zambski and the films include marriages for the year your great grandparents married. The film you would need to rent is film #1979908. The records on this film are Akta urodzen (Births) 1864-1877, Akta urodzen 1885-1893, and Akta malzenstw (Marriages) 1855-1877.

If you have not rented LDS films in the past, the procedure is simple. Go to the LDS website www.familysearch.org and click on "Join for Free". Follow the instructions and create a free person account. Go to the online film ordering home page and follow the instructions for ordering the film you need. The rental fee is $7.50 for 90 days of use. Ordering films is not instant gratification since it takes some time for the film to be shipped to the center you choose for viewing the film and sometimes copies of the film you want are all checked out by other individuals and your request goes on "back order" but it will still probably be faster than writing to an archive and it will certainly be less costly. The added bonus for you is that you will be able to avoid the language issue.

Wishing you success in your search,

Dave
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:09 am      Post subject:

Thank you Gilberto and Dave. I will begin by ordering films from familysearch.org and then fill in the missing records by contacting the archives once I have a group of specific requests to make it cost effective. I really appreciate the information and suggestions.

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:09 pm      Post subject:

Hello Gilberto and Dave,

So my good news is that I was able to order several microfilms via Familysearch (LDS) for the Zolnierzak branch of my family. The bad news is Familysearch had no records for Roman Catholic parishes in Dynow. So, That means I am going to have to work with the State Archives for the Bielec branch of my family in Dynow.

Before I contact them, I want to check to make sure I am on the right track. My Grandfather, Jan Bielec, was born in 1894 in Brzozow/Dynow area. His parents were: Marcin Bielec and Tekla Gasecka (spelling per US documents). I took a screen shot of the webpage I found in the State Archive that may have his birth record and hopefully siblings and parent's marriage record.

Can you please check this screen shot and let me know if I'm on the right track. Given the information above, would this be the place for me to contact?

Many thanks,
Cynthia

Dynow Records screen shot.jpg
 Description:
screen shot of state archives page
 Filesize:  256.59 KB
 Viewed:  3202 Time(s)

Dynow Records screen shot.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2792

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:09 pm      Post subject:

Hi Cynthia,

Based on the info you provided this would be the correct archive to contact. On the PRADZIAD data base this archive holds birth records for the years 1878 to 1896 and for 1912 so they should have the record of his birth.

Wishing you success,

Dave
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:56 am      Post subject:

Thank you, Dave. This is a branch of my family that I know very little about as my grandfather, Jan Bielec came to the US at age 18 and died at age 27. He has been lost to our family for over 80 years. Only 2 years ago after much research and persistence I finally found the cemetery where he is buried and passenger list with location of birth. I hope to find more information on his family in Poland perhaps even living relatives...I will keep the group posted! -Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: