PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:16 pm      Post subject: need help reading passenger list handwriting

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me read the handwriting for this New York passenger list? I have been trying to figure out the name of the brother in law my grandfather (Jan Bielec) indicated as his final destination in the US upon arrival. I know it is in New Britain CT, but I never could figure out the name. Can anyone help?

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Cynthia

destination from passenger list.jpg
 Description:
Jan Bielec destination on NY passenger list
 Filesize:  25.76 KB
 Viewed:  3438 Time(s)

destination from passenger list.jpg

Send e-mail
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:22 pm      Post subject: Re: need help reading passenger list handwriting

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me read the handwriting for this New York passenger list? I have been trying to figure out the name of the brother in law my grandfather (Jan Bielec) indicated as his final destination in the US upon arrival. I know it is in New Britain CT, but I never could figure out the name. Can anyone help?

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Cynthia

Franz Szelinkewicz or Trelinkewicz

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 pm      Post subject: Re: need help reading passenger list handwriting

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Cynthia

Cynthia,
Although it looks a little different in the passenger record (like Franz Srelinkewicz ??), the only name that seems to come close to it and still appears in New Britain, CT is Szalankiewicz. See https://www.google.de/search?q=Trelinkewicz&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=YhYNVIToH6OK8Qel_YDgDw#rls=org.mozilla:de:official&channel=sb&q=%22Frank+szalankiewicz%22+%2B+%22New+Britain%2C+Connecticut%22

In 1942 a Frank Szalankiewicz, b 26 July 1878, registered for WWII - see "United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942", index and images, FamilySearch ( https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X5PJ-1W5 : accessed 08 Sep 2014 ),

He died on May 01, 1958 in East Hampton, Middlesex, CT. He was 79 ys old at the time and widowed. His wife's name was Eva. His residence at time of death was East Hampton, Middlesex, CT - see "Connecticut, Death Index, 1949-2001," index, FamilySearch ( https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VZLR-FDV : accessed 08 Sep 2014 ), Frank Szalankiewicz, 01 May 1958; citing "Connecticut, Death Index, 1949-2001," Ancestry.com; East Hampton, Middlesex, Connecticut, Department of Health, Hartford.

I don't know if that's the person you are looking for, it's just a guess. Do you know your grandfather's sister's names?
mcdonald0517

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:04 pm      Post subject:

thank you, Gilberto and Ute, for your help in deciphering the name in the passenger list. Ute, no, I don't know the names of any of my grandfather's siblings. He has been a mystery in my family and all but lost for over 90 years. I have pieced together the following information on John Bielec gathered from the U.S. documents I have found:

John (Jan) Bielec, born Aug 23, 1893 0r 1894 (WW I draft registration records)
from Dynow or a nearby village called Ulanica (from census records)
parents: Marcin Bielec and Tekla Gasecka (from death and marriage records)
immigrated to the US: 1913
Destination in US: New Britain, CT to his sister (name unknown) and brother in law (which you deciphered for me)
Married: Annie Manchor on April 9, 1915 in Pittsburgh, PA
Divorced: Annie Manchor on Aug 7, 1918 in Pittsburgh, PA
Married: Katarzyna Glod sometime in 1918 in Pittsburgh, PA (this is my grandmother; still can't locate US marriage record)
Children with Katarzyna: Edward Bielec, Mary Ann Bielec
Died: April 14, 1921, Pittsburgh, PA age 27; buried St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Pittsburgh, PA (no cemetery records to locate grave because they were lost in fire; no gravestone)

I am now working to try to trace his birth, siblings, etc. in Poland. I am really trying to find more information on John Bielec and have been working this mystery for years. I am doing what I can to restore his memory to my family and to find living relatives. Any help with the Polish records to trace his family there would be appreciated.

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: