PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:47 am      Post subject: Staboleski/Stabolepszy?

My surname is Staboleski, and from research I've done that does not really translate to a real Polish name. From what I've found on ancestry.com and newspapers.com it appears that the name may have changed as part of typos in newspapers, etc. In November 1900 I found a marriage announcement in a newspaper that listed the names as Slaboleski and Staboleski, both in the same article and pretty clearly a typo. In other stories referencing the same people the surname is Stabolepszy. The only information I have on origins is from US census forms saying Poland/Germany. If anyone happens to have any info on these names or related names that would be awesome!
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:55 pm      Post subject:

I would suggest that perhaps the Polish spelling of this surname would be Słabolepszy (2nd letter is the Polish l with a line through it, often hard to distinguish from a t in handwriting). The Moikrewni website shows the distribution of this surname heavily in the Poznań area and nearby Czarnków, which would be the German partition. Here is the link to the info. & map https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/S%C5%82abolepszy .

You might want to trying searching at the Poznan Project here http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/index.php?lang=en. I did a quick search and there were 107 exact matches to this surname (from 1808-1899). Remember the feminine form of this surname would be Słabolepsza. ~PL
bstaboleski

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:28 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I looked over the Poznan Project and possibly found some ancestors. I have an email out to the Archdiocese to see if I can get anymore information about them. I'm hopeful this tip will pay off.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:50 am      Post subject:

bstaboleski wrote:
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I looked over the Poznan Project and possibly found some ancestors. I have an email out to the Archdiocese to see if I can get anymore information about them. I'm hopeful this tip will pay off.

Hi,

Many records of this area are available online.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: