PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 168

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:00 am      Post subject: Origin of Kuc or Kuć

Many of the records I have run across include both spellings, with the diacritic and without (Kuc or Kuć). In fact, it's always omitted in America records and also in about half the Polish records I have found. Which implies that it is pronounced as "koots". But with the diacritic, it's pronounced like "kooch".

I'd be interested to learn about the source of the name, and why the diacritic would be used (or omitted) so routinely.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
TadWysocki

Replies: 70

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:20 am      Post subject:

Hi Richard,

Two different sources, according to Polish etymological works:
KUC, the surname noted in old Poland from 1753, derived from Polish language and words: "kucać" [to squad], and/or from an old "kuca" [buda = a shed], or from Germany language and name Kutz.
KUĆ, derived from the surname KUCZ - this noted in Poland from 1391, derived from Polish language and words "kuczeć" [kucać], and/or from an old Polish language "kucza", "kuczka" [a shed, a hut].
As we see etymological works give two different sources, but close meanings if going from the old Polish language.

Happy weekend in Dundee,
Tad from sunny Warsaw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: