PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:35 pm      Post subject: Question on State Archives at Przemysl

I believe that I have two Great Grandparents that have come from Sarzyna. I have been researching the State Archives and the LDS site and have found nothing to help me find marriages or births of the two families. One is "Kusy", although the ship manifest that brought them has them as "Kusa". The other is Falandysz. The Kusy is pretty common in Lezajsk county, so I am pretty sure that there are some relatives still there. I have several questions on how to continue:

1. Do I contact the State Archives at Przemysl? There online database had virtually nothing on the town of Sarzyna. I also tried spelling it Zarszynie, and very little there. Do they have more data that cannot be accessed through Pradziad or Sezam?
2. If the State Archives is a dead end, who would I try to contact? The archdiocese of the church? Nowa Sarzyna, as that is built upon the old Sarzyna area? Or is there the old church still there? I am interested in finding out if there are brothers and sisters of my great grandparents from there -- would it be easier to hire someone? Or can someone locally, like the church, help me?

I do not mind doing more research, but I don't know where else to go and feel I am going to have to write to someone, but not sure who in the case of Sarzyna.

thanks for any direction anyone can give me,

Regards,

Joe Kussey
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:19 am      Post subject: Re: Question on State Archives at Przemysl

Joe,

I do not know yet how to proceed, Przemysl is my pain too, including villages in Lancut area.

1. Parish
Sarzyna have its own parish,

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarzyna
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekanat_Le%C5%BCajsk_II
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parafia_%C5%9Bw._Sebastiana_w_Sarzynie

Dekanaty's page:
http://przemyska.pl/dekanaty/
Click on Lezajsk II:
SARZYNA
pw. św. Sebastiana
Sarzyna 375
37-310 NOWA SARZYNA
POLAND
tel. 17 241 55 77 // add prefix +48 for calls from outside Poland, +48 17 241 55 77

2. City hall
In your own case, searching for "Kusy Sarzyna", Google shows a number of persons named Kusy living in Sarzyna.
The official Sarzyna page is:
http://www.nowasarzyna.eu/urzad-miasta-i-giny/kontakt/

Urzad Stanu Cywilnego is here:
http://www.bip.nowasarzyna.eu/15837,16092,16098/16098/

They have two items:
ODTWORZENIE AKTU STANU CYWILNEGO // recovering a record
WYDAWANIE ODPISÓW Z AKT STANU CYWILNEGO // copies from Civil Records

Both documents refer to regulation, it's not clear for me which one could apply to your case.
In principle, they should have recent records (less than famous 100 years), which you can only access if you demonstrate your direct tree relation. Your two Great Grandparents.

I would try to write there by email, asking for help how to proceed to find your living relatives in Sarzyna.

Urząd Miasta i Gminy w Nowej Sarzynie
ul. Mikołaja Kopernika 137
310 Nowa Sarzyna
www.nowasarzyna.eu
Tel.: (17) 24 13 177
Fax: (17) 24 13 111
mail: [email protected]

Best,
Elzbieta
joe kussey

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:38 pm      Post subject: Saryzna

Elizbieta,

Thank you very much for your response, I will look into the websites you have posted. Sadly, I have found out that this part of Poland is rather sparse on record-keeping, compared to our brothers and sisters further west.

I saw that there is a St. Sebastian in New Sarzyna. Would they have the records of the old town from 100 years and older? The records I am looking for first are from 1870-1880. If I am not mistaken, the state archives are SUPPOSED to have those older records first - and then I would try the parish. But because a new town was built over the old, I am wondering if St. Sebastian is the continuation of that older town's parish or if it is a new parish for the new town.

I think your advice on finding my living relatives may be the best advice. I remember my grandmother writing to relatives in Poland, and one actually came to visit, but it was a long time ago and my grandmother has died 20 years ago, so I couldn't ask her. I do know my great grandparent's parent's names, and he had an unusual name, Barthlomeij Kusy, so i am hoping that might make things easier over there. I think your advice is good if I can find someone living over there who could go directly to the church for me. I see there are over 100 Kusy's in the county, so I am bound to be related to one, right?

Thanks very much for your time and help,

best regards,

Joe Kussey
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:04 pm      Post subject:

Yes! Elzbieta, as we discovered in another forum, Przemysl is an obstacle for me as well! I can obtain no reply from the archives. Can you tell me the possible parishes for Dynow and Ulanica? Perhaps I can try writing directly to the parish. Thank you for your help. And good luck to you and Joe in your search!!

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
joe kussey

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:07 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia,

I found my parish information from the Slownik Geograph Dictionary. You could also go to the Archdiocese website, but your town may have been in a different parish, so Slownik would be a better source. Go to this link.

http://www.halgal.com/slownik.html

The Halgal site is great, especially with info on the abbreviations right there. The link are instructions which will come in handy. There is the Slownik link that will also allow you to find the two towns in question. This is it to go directly to it:

http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/

I just wrote a letter to the city and the local library in Sarzyna, we'll see how that goes. Good luck and share if you get anywhere.

Regards,

Joe Kussey
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:40 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the links, Joe. I looked at the links, but honestly I find it impossible to get any information from it since I don't understand Polish. Also, there is no way for me to copy and paste the text into a translation software so I can try to decipher it. I appreciate the resource, but it feels beyond my abilities at this point. Good luck with your letter to the library, and let us know if you make progress!
Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:21 pm      Post subject:

I just used the Archdiocese website and found the parish for Ulanica within the Dynow decanate:

Ulanica św. Józefa Ulanica 29 36-065 DYNÓW 16 652 37 65 Dynów

Can someone tell me how to correctly write this address in my correspondence so it is properly directed? Also, to whom should I address the request? To the parish priest?

Thanks!
Cynthia
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2780

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:31 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia,

Dynow is the site of an R.C. parish and the village of Ulanica belongs to the parish of Dynow. There is a work published c. 1933 which is available online from the University of Poznan library which has a format which may be easier for you to deal with without knowing Polish. The work is in Polish and has a long title: Skorowidz Miejscowosci Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej....etc., etc. The first word in the title means "index" and the format of the entries is in a columnar format. The first column on the left is where you find the name of the village and the last column on the far right lists the parish to which the village belongs. In the case of Ulanica, the far right column contains the entry "Dynow" which makes it quite simple to understand. The entry for Dynow is not quite as simple but still is not difficult. It reads "loco r Bachorz g". Loco is actually a Latin word imported by Polish which actually means "in the place". The r stands for Roman Catholic. The "Bachorz g" means that the Greek Catholic Parish for Dynow is located in Bachorz.

I encourage you give the index a try. You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to use.

Dave
joe kussey

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:23 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia,

Sorry for the Slownik link. I don't understand Polish either, so I had a google translator opened as I typed what I saw in the geography dictionary. I did learn quite a bit about the place. Rather tedious, and if you can find something easier, that's great. Good luck in your search.

Regards,

Joe
leewoj

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:57 pm      Post subject: Research Suggestion

I would suggest contacting Maciej Orzechowski at [email protected]. He resides in Przemsyl and has recently, September 2014, completed genealogy research of my four grandparent who were born in Gmina Kurylowka. Between the RC Archiwum and the GC Archiwum in Przemsyl he was able to obtain my ancestry back to the late 18th century. Gmina Kurylowka is adjacent to and east of Lezajsk and Sarzyna is north of Lezajsk. Assuming your ancestors were RC or GC and the proximity of the villages to each other, their records could very likely reside in Przemsyl.

Leopold Wojcik
Send e-mail
mous1123

Replies: 27

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm      Post subject: Question on state archives in przemysl

My grandmother was born in 1888 I have her certificate. The certificate states diocese of przemysl parish of uherce, county lesko. Have tried to find my great grandparents. Have there names but every web site doesn't have them. His name is bazyli ulan and her name is Anastazja prociak. I would appreciate any help
Mickey

Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Question on state archives in przemysl

mous1123 wrote:
My grandmother was born in 1888 I have her certificate. The certificate states diocese of przemysl parish of uherce, county lesko. Have tried to find my great grandparents. Have there names but every web site doesn't have them. His name is bazyli ulan and her name is Anastazja prociak. I would appreciate any help
Mickey

Hi Mickey,

The national archives have records up tp 1837, but not later.

Maybe you can write to the parish, and ask them.
They give an email - I have no idea if it is a valid one.

Another option is Kuria in Przemysl, where they should have records.
The email is on this page:
http://archiwalna.przemyska.pl/duszp/start.php?go=diecezja/dp&d=sol

Wishing you success in your search.

Best,
Elzbieta
==

http://parafiauherce.ns48.pl/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=2&Itemid=30
Kontakt - Parafia Rzymsko - Katolicka pw Św. Stanisława bp. i Męczennika
Adres:
Uherce Mineralne 155
38-623 Uherce Mineralne

List: [email protected]
Telefon: 13/461 80 48
Telefon komórkowy: 609 305 727
http://parafiauherce.ns48.pl
==
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: