PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:36 am      Post subject:

Hello. I just registered here after finding this thread through google. I have this (adorable!) photo of my uncle in goralskie ubranie and wondered if anyone could tell me any more about it.

[img]
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10678816_10203935560261686_8505223628420695067_n.jpg?oh=dd4c98128ff8ffe1972ef55359350b7c&oe=54B05851&__gda__=1420841189_e0782481d3f492db0d14b362ba5d034f[/img]

Oh my, how do I add a photo to my post?
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:40 am      Post subject:

After clicking the reply button, scroll down, look for "attach a file", browse, select file name.
Send e-mail
Loveriot

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:54 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
After clicking the reply button, scroll down, look for "attach a file", browse, select file name.

goralskie ubranie Mieciu.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.13 KB
 Viewed:  10248 Time(s)

goralskie ubranie Mieciu.jpg

Loveriot

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:13 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:

Thanks for the tip!
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:08 am      Post subject:

Thanks for posting the picture. I have some ideas about the photo but I would like some more info if possible. Do you know where in Poland he was from? This may not be from Podhale. Also there is some writing at the bottom, can you scan that part if it is not cutoff. And see if there is a photographers mark (may be embossed) and let me know and I'll give you my opinion. Dzięki
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:34 am      Post subject:

Loveriot, It really is adorable. Do you know the approximate year it was taken? Thanks for sharing!
Cheri
Loveriot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:56 am      Post subject:

The writing on the bottom is simply his name. This is my mother's brother. They were both born in Warsaw. The photo was taken in 1935, maybe 1934.

There looks like something was printed on the back at one time, but it's so old and faded, nothing is legible.

I believe my mother's father was also born in Warsaw, but I'm not 100% on that. I don't know if they chose this particular style outfit because of family history, or they just thought it was adorable. I'm suspicious it may have been chosen due to family history, that's why I wondered if there's any way to tell more about this style of outfit.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:16 pm      Post subject:

OK, I spoke with two colleagues and we believe it is not Goral - Podhale dress. It has a Ukraine hint to it but we all agree it is probably a costume from a photographers studio. There is a tree stump, bench,backdrop and typical child's toy props. We have never ever seen a cap like that in Podhale and the coat isn't right either. So it's very possible it was taken in a Warsaw studio. Lovely pic, thanks for sharing.
Send e-mail
Loveriot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:08 pm      Post subject:

It never occurred to me that a photography studio in 1935 would have such props. I thought it was some indication as to the family background. Oh well.

I agree that it looks nothing like any of the typical goralskie ubranie I have seen before, especially the cap, but I thought perhaps it was a child's version of sorts.
Loveriot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:35 pm      Post subject:

Oh one more thing. This little boy's grandmother is Lithuanian. Could that influence the style of the outfit?

Sorry. I'm new to this genealogy stuff. I'm just starting. I need to hone my sleuthing skills, lol.
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:45 pm      Post subject:

Yes it was common back then. Doubt this little girl would have brought her own wheelbarrow to the photographer.

prop1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.84 KB
 Viewed:  10248 Time(s)

prop1.jpg

Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:00 pm      Post subject:

Sorry I can't help with Lithuania dress. The costume's that I have seen look nothing like Tatra mountain folk. Smile Study your genealogy and it surely will lead your to family origins and history.
Send e-mail
Loveriot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:01 pm      Post subject:

That's an awesome picture Wink

Oh, I agree the props were part of the studio, I just didn't think the outfit would be. Usually they wear their own clothes, I would have thought.
???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: