PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:17 pm      Post subject: Znamirowski

James wrote:
Zenon,
you have been very helpful in sharing information concerning many surnames, their origins, the root meaning of the name, etc... , and I'm sure it has been appreciated. Smile
I wonder if you would be willing to share with us, the origins of your name?

james

Thank you for asking James. Maybe thanks to that post I will have chance to meet other Znamirowskis somewhere in the world (or maybe next door) Smile .

Well, here is what I have found in my sources Wink

Znamirowski, Znamierowski, Znam- ; from znamię; "mark, characteristic, trait, stigma".

In 2002 there were 365 people using the surname Znamirowski living in Poland (three of them were Magda, Dawid and me - now is at least one more: Amelia Very Happy). Most lived in Nowy Sącz (34) and in Kraków (25).

In 19th century there were three noble Znamirowski families:
Znamirowski coat of arms Gryf living in Sanok region
Znamirowski coat of arms Rawicz living in Halicz region (today's Ukraine)
Znamirowski Tomasz, no coats of arms, no information about place of residence. Ennobled in 1775.

What I can add from my research is an interesting fact that the surname was used by representatives of nobility, by peasants as well as by many Polish Jews.

There is also a well known expert in Heraldry and Vexillology field Alfred Znamierowski. Mr Znamierowski established Instytut Heraldyczno-Weksylologiczny (Heraldry and Vexillology Institute) http://www.pl.info.pl/IHW_WWW/index.php?ktg=16 as well as published several books in Polish and in English (list of book from Amazon.com http://tinyurl.com/2uma87 )

Sources:
- Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings by William F. Hoffman, Chicago, 1998.

- Database of surnames used in Poland compiled in 2002 by prof. K.Rymut - Dictionary of Surnames in Current Use in Poland.

- Spis Szlachty Polskiej (Register of Polish Nobility) compiled by Jerzy Sewer count Dunin-Borkowski and published in 1887 in Lwow.
Send e-mail
Katherine Znamirowski

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:52 pm      Post subject: I'm a Znamirowski

Im a Znamirowski living in California!
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:20 am      Post subject:

Welcome Katherine Exclamation Do you know where your parents/grandparents emigrated from Question

Zenon Znamirowski Smile
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: