PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:45 am      Post subject: Development of rural settlement in Podhale

An interesting article for those of us who have ancestors from the Podhale region:

http://www.pg.geo.uj.edu.pl/documents/3189230/4676039/2003_112_161-172.pdf

"Abstract:
In their paper the authors discussed the historical development of the settlement
in€ the Podhale Region, since the Middle Ages to the contemporary epoch, against the natural
conditions and evolution of the political situation. Various functional types of rural settlement
were shown, with the spatial patterns and traditional forms of farm architecture, observed
in this part of Poland."

Source: Czeslaw Guzik, Jan Lesnicki, PRACE GEOGRAFICZNE, zeszyt 112, Instytut Geografii i Gospodarki Przestrzennej UJ, Kraków 2003.
PaniKohani

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:57 pm      Post subject:

Hello Ute,

It took me a 'iittle while' to discover your little gem of a link to this article covering the Podhale
region. I just read it now (6 yrs. after you posted! It was a fascinating read (especially
when it described the more specific elements of early migration, village and farm set up,
and then how the very earliest peoples in this region came there, lived, etc. It 'enlivened'
the area of my paternal ancestry-- added color and vibrancy to it, which often geneology
research in general misses. It also, in referencing the oldest villages (even hamlets-- so
medieval!), piqued my interest-- as that is what I wish could be 'dredged up' (more of the
'founding families' who settled this region and their stories.

So, wanted to 'stop by' and say thank you for posting it. As usual, you come up w. real gems
in your researching.

Regards,
PaniKohani

P.S.Will have to make the effort to visit this site more... than I have the past few years! ;~}

We are a continuum. Just as we reach back to our ancestors for our fundamental values, so we, as guardians of that legacy, must reach ahead to our children and their children. And we do so with a sense of sacredness in that reaching.

Paul Tsongas
rjaremus

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:29 pm      Post subject: Development of Rural Settlement in Podhale

Ute,

Just came across this today, printed it out and immediately read it. Fascinating reading. Just the kind of information that many of us are interested in knowing about. When the Podhale region was settled, by whom. The patterns of migration; Romanian and German influences that helped to create the unique Gorale' culture and I assume language. This is really good stuff.

The one thing I would wish for is a better translation. It's almost as if a machine was used in the translation. With a careful reading, we can get a good idea about what the authors probably mean, however in many cases we are guessing. In discussing the Spatial patterns of Podhale villages for example, the authors describe how the villages were laid out along the river valleys and the three field crop rotation system was used. /they discuss "chain farms" and "hamlets" located on the outside of villages, however without greater depth of discussion, sample maps or diagrams, it's hard to understand what they mean. Would love to get a good translation of this document.

thanks though, this is great.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: