PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:52 pm      Post subject:

Hugh,

This is great. Daiva responded immediately and I have already sent my request along with a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate to the email that she asked me to send it to. So it's on it's way. I would like to dig further into my grandmother's ancestors, but getting her birth certificate is usually a great starting point because it shows the parents and usually the mothers parents names, so that would be excellent. Thanks again, this is great. By the way are they going to charge me for the work??

Rolfe

Quick update on this - I am running into a financial issue. for the Lithuanian State Museum to get 9 Euros, it's going to cost me almost $100 US in fees! $50 to Fifth Third Bank, $25 more for another bank and unknown fees for recepient banks. I stopped the transaction and am requesting that I send a cheque. We'll see how this goes. Bummer.

Last edited by rjaremus on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
ossnhughie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:59 pm      Post subject:

The form must be signed in otherwords printed out and signed/mailed via post (which can take a while). You can ask her for sure but once they get the request it ran me about 8 or 9 Eiuros to search then some more to actually get the documents once they find them. Then you have the fee from your bank to wire the euros. I have requested and received about 6-8 records and in total with all expenses it has run me a little over $100 ( a bargain compared to some countries). It is a fairly inexpensive process it just takes time (a good virtue for me to learn PATIENCE)

Hugh
Send e-mail
rjaremus

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:25 pm      Post subject:

Hugh,

OK, that is fine. I signed the form, scanned it back into my computer and sent it via email as Daiva requested so hopefully that moves things along. Yes the fee sounds quite inexpensive. Twenty years ago I spent $300 for a Ukrainian researcher to do some work at the Lvov archives. He did a great job and I was glad to pay as besides the actual church documents, I also got cadastral maps and inventory records for my ancestors. What a find. I just sent my Canadian contact (who interfaced with the Ukranian researcher) to Zenon if he wants to use him. I have patience as I have been doing this off and on for better than 30 years and genealogy for 45.
Send e-mail
ossnhughie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:36 pm      Post subject:

Rolfe,
It appears that I am addressing an elder statesman when it comes to genealogy!! That is quite a length of time to be at this. I have been doing it for only about 8 1/2 to 9 years back to when I was 19. I submitted my request forms via snail mail (I never even thought to scan them after signing it). I now know from now on for future requests I will do the same. A quick question were your Ukrainian ancestors Ukrainian Orthodox or Catholic (Roman or Greek)?

Hugh
Send e-mail
rjaremus

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:47 am      Post subject:

Hugh,

Yes I am getting up there in age as I am better than twice your age! And I would qualify my statements in that I have not been doing genealogy work constantly. Until this week, I haven't done anything of significance for 10 years. But I am fortunate that I was a curious youth and talked with my elders primarily to understand why they talked with these strange accents and where in the world they came from.

All of my ancestors were Greek or Roman Catholic (Polish), no Ukrainian.

Rolfe
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: