PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:52 pm      Post subject:

Could someone tell me the meaning of this surname - Slavinski. I'm thinking that it was originally spelled "Slawinski " as there is no letter 'V' in the Polish alphabet.
Thanks.
TadWysocki

Replies: 70

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 am      Post subject:

Hi James,
According to main Polish etymological works the very old Polish surname Slawinski [fully spelled in Polish as Sławiński - letter l and n with Polish grammar diacritical marks] is toponymic in origin, noted in old Poland from the year 1397, and derived directly from the place in Poland named Sławno, this from Polish language and word "sława" (means a fame), or the Polish very old name Sławomir. In the same surname branch we note Sławieński, and Szlawiński.
==
The surname location based on the Polish census 1990/2002:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/S%C5%82awi%C5%84ski
= 3816 adults in all parts of Poland.
==
The place named Sławno:
We have now in Poland 9 places named Sławno, if you give us the province/part of Poland we can locate the right one. The most possible are Sławno:
# located in the Radom area, gmina (commune) Wolanow, family parish - errected in the year 1326, church, and cemetery was Cerekiew: http://cerekiew.parafia.info.pl/?p=main&what=30
# located in the Opoczno area, gmina (commune) Jankow, family parish - errected in the year of 1221, church, and cemetery was Sławno: http://www.ugslawno.pl/portal.php?aid=13330147884f7431044ebf9
==
Good luck in your family rich roots search,
Tad
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:17 pm      Post subject: Slavinski

Thanks Tad, for the info on "Slawinski", especially the most probable locations.
I'm helping a young man I recently meet. He is very interested in his Polish Heritage, but has no info concerning his family at the present time. So I thought a good place to start was to give him the "Correct" spelling, and what his name means. You reaffirmed my thought on how his name was originally spelled.
Thanks for all of your work in assisting members at PO.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: