PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Surname "Marut"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:08 pm      Post subject: Surname "Marut"

My Great Grandfather came to the US around 1898 bringing with him my last name- Marut. The question, of course, is whether that was his actual name, or if it was modified or truncated in some way. Records in the US over the years have him born in Austria, Galicia, or Poland. The only record with a specific town listed is his WW2 draft card which shows "Ronizurv, Poland" although the spelling of the town is suspect. I am pleased to find this forum and hope that I'm able to finally bridge the gap from the US back to Poland.

Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
nfstev

Replies: 53

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:00 pm      Post subject:

Hi Volare,
It appears that Martin Frank Marut (dob September 13, 1879) was from the Village of Raniżów (Population 1,786) located in the Polish Province of Podkarpackie and
County (powiat) of Kolbuszowa.
MARUT is a valid Polish surname with 2,127 adults in 2009 living in Poland with that surname (333 of them living in the county of Kolbuszowa).
Best regards,
Norbert

Marut Martin Frank Map of Ancestral Home of Ranizow Poland.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  501.02 KB
 Viewed:  16963 Time(s)

Marut Martin Frank Map of  Ancestral Home of Ranizow Poland.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:14 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname "Marut"

volare wrote:
My Great Grandfather came to the US around 1898 bringing with him my last name- Marut. The question, of course, is whether that was his actual name, or if it was modified or truncated in some way. Records in the US over the years have him born in Austria, Galicia, or Poland. The only record with a specific town listed is his WW2 draft card which shows "Ronizurv, Poland" although the spelling of the town is suspect. I am pleased to find this forum and hope that I'm able to finally bridge the gap from the US back to Poland.

Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Volare,

Marut is a real Polish name, more than 2000 persons in today Poland
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Marut

But "Ron" at the beginning of name of town or village in today Poland is not common at all, szukacz.pl shows only 6 cases (as shows official index of all villages and cities in today Poland).
The old geography book from circa 1880-1900 in sixteenth volumes, circa 16 thousand pages, including eastern parts, have only half a page with few names starting with "Ron":
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_IX/739

Do you have a scan of your WW2 draft card? I would like to see the handwritten name if possible.

Best,
Elzbieta
==
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:15 pm      Post subject:

Volare,

Geneteka is plenty of Marut born in Ranizów. However, no birth for a Marcin Franciszek born in 1879.
http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=B&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=marut&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=50&bdm=50&w=09pk&op=gt&exac=1
Gilberto
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:17 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Norbert!

Raniżów

Elzbieta
volare

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:55 pm      Post subject:

Norbert,
Incredible that you've found him given that I only gave you his last name, but indeed my GGrandfather is Martin Frank Marut. His DOB varies quite a bit from one source to another, but 13 Sept 1879 is indeed the date listed on his WW2 draft card. Other sources have him on the same day in 1875. US Census records from 1910-1940 have his DOB all over the place from 1872-1880, but a great amount of other evidence (addresses and names of other family members) convinces me it's still him.

This WW2 card is the only source I have for him that is specific as to town. I figured I needed to get a better handle on the town before I would be able to try and find any information through church records. I assume the town that Norbert found corresponds with the Galicia/Austria/Polish birth locations over time?

record-image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.08 KB

record-image.jpg

volare

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:34 pm      Post subject:

Attached is a written family history. Based on the first sentence, I assume it was typed by my long deceased (~40 yrs) paternal grandfather. I didn't give a whole lot of credibility to the information contained in this history, until I discovered my GGrandfather's naturalization information on Ancestry and found out that the certificate number mentioned in this history cooresponds exactly.

I thought I had found my GGrandfather's Ellis Island entry in Feb of 1898 but I found on Ancestry that there is another Martin Marut with similar birthdate and everything and a family that settled in Pennsylvania. This entry had been "claimed" by them for their ancestor. I've been unable to find any other entry through New York that fits with my ancestor.

I realize that my post has gotten far afield from my original question regarding a town name, and if it would be better for me to move my question elsewhere, please feel free to tell me so. Smile

writtenhistory.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  659.75 KB

writtenhistory.jpg

nfstev

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:23 pm      Post subject:

Hi Volare,
It appears that Martin Frank Marut completed his U.S. Naturalization Process while living in Chicago at 1866 Seward Street.
Attached are two Indexes for Martin Marut. Note that the Cook County Clerk’s Office has him indexed as Martin “Maret”
You can order images of his U.S. Naturalization documents from the Cook County Clerk’s Office. Here is a link to their website:
http://12.218.239.55/NR/default.aspx
The certificate number on one of the index matches the information that you have.
He may have met and married his wife Agnes Popek/Papek in Pennsylvania around 1905. It appears that he spent some time in Butler PA just north of Pittsburgh PA
Best regards,
Norbert

Marut Martin Frank US Naturalization Index Cook County IL Circuit Court.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.25 KB

Marut Martin Frank US Naturalization Index Cook County IL Circuit Court.jpg

Marut Martin Frank US Naturalization Index Cook County Clerks O.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  446.49 KB

Marut Martin Frank US Naturalization Index Cook County Clerks O.jpg

volare

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:27 pm      Post subject:

I've seen the first card before, but the second one is new.

This declaration of intention is very helpful. Thank you!
nfstev

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:52 pm      Post subject:

Thought you might appreciate this.

Marut Martin Frank Chicago WW I Draft Registration Card.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  381.09 KB

Marut Martin Frank Chicago WW I Draft Registration Card.jpg

nfstev

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:12 pm      Post subject:

Hi Volare,
I am attaching two (2) New York arrival records. One is for March 17, 1898 for a Marcin Marut (see line #9) and the other is for October 24 1904 for an Agnes Popek (see line #26).
What these two documents have in common is that they both list their subject’s last residence as Mazure/Mazury Austria. There is a village by the name of Mazury about 6 kilometers east of Ranizow.
That trip your great grandfather made to “New York” may have in fact been to Passaic NJ for the purpose of marrying Agnes Popek. Martin and Agnes or their families may have known each other in and/or around Mazury or else the marriage may have been arranged.
My lonesome maternal grandfather in Gary, IN wrote a letter to my grandmother in Poland and asked her to come to the U.S. and indicated if she did not find him to be suitable he had a brother who was also interested in marriage.
Best regards,
Norbert

Marut-Popek Agnes October 24 1904 New York Arrival Record see line 26.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  612.29 KB

Marut-Popek Agnes October 24 1904 New York Arrival Record see line 26.jpg

Marut Marcin March 17 1898 New York Arrival Record see line 9.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  690.46 KB

Marut Marcin March 17 1898 New York Arrival Record see line 9.jpg

volare

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:47 pm      Post subject:

The World War 1 Draft card is interesting in that it doesn't match the one that I've already found for him! The signature on the card below is visibily similar to known signatures of his that I have, unlike the one you have found. They were in Chicago in 1910, but by 1920 they have moved to Wisconsin in the area of Weyerhauser. I have found death certificates for young children that died in Chicago in 1912 with father Martin and mother Agnes living on 1866 Seward St.

WW1draft.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.57 KB

WW1draft.jpg

volare

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 pm      Post subject:

With regard to both of those ship manifests that you posted, it's very helpful that you tell me that Mazury is close to Ranizow. I had previously found both of these manifests, but I had given up hope that the Martin record was related to my ancestor when I found him linked to an unrelated Martin Marut on Ancestry- the one with the descendants in Pennsylvania. But perhaps this is indeed the correct record for my GGF.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:10 pm      Post subject:

Volare & Norbert~ The JKMarut family tree on Ancestry has Agnes Popek Marut linked to a passenger list for the SS Kensington arriving Feb. 3, 1902 from Antwerp (image attached). The first 6 young ladies on the manifest are all from Mazury and going to various people in Passaic, NJ. #1 Agnieszka Popek (indexed Topek) is 18 and going to sister(?) Anna Dec and #2 is Rozalia Dec age 18 going to the same sister Anna Dec. On Line #6 is Maryanna Popek age 16 going to a cousin Maryanna Dunejska(?). Perhaps this is the sister Maria Popek that Agnes Popek, age 16, in 1904 is going to. Only thing is it is reported in the censuses that Agnes Popek Marut came in 1902 (1910 census) and 1901 (1920 census).

Marcin in 1898 says he's going to a brother in Pittsburg. If you found a family tree for the Martin Marut who was married to a Frances, they may have “taken” this 1898 Marcin for their tree because it was the only one they could find as well. Doesn't mean he is not your Marcin – they could be wrong.

I have found a WWI draft registration for Martin – dated Sept. 12, 1918, he was living in NE Minneapolis (a Polish community) at 2531 NE 4th St. and he said he was born on Sept. 11, 1874 (no location asked for) and working at the Pillsbury Flour Mill.

Interestingly my GF in that year was living at 2535 NE 7th St. (3 blocks directly east of your GGF). In addition my GM's sister & her husband moved from NE Mpls. to Weyerhaeuser in 1916, and in 1930 they were living in the same township (Strickland) as Martin & Agnes. According to the Strickland Township map my relatives lived in Section 36 and yours lived in Section 24, about 2 mi. up the road from my relative's farm. The children of my relatives were of similar age to Martin's children so they may have attended country school together. I was just in Weyerhaeuser in Oct. taking pictures of gravestones at St. Peter & Paul church cemetery. If you don't have the township map & are interested I can send you the image or post it here. ~PL

NYT715_251-0195.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  867.11 KB

NYT715_251-0195.jpg

volare

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:12 pm      Post subject:

The JKMarut Family Tree is mine. I used to be active on Ancestry but I am not currently. I have a National Archives center in my city though, so I can go there and look at stuff for free on Ancestry, and my tree is preserved.

The tree that I saw the Ship manifest tied to the "other" Martin was the "Schuck, Kern Family Tree". Owner RSchuck62

Last edited by volare on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: