PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:03 pm      Post subject: Surname Kubaszko

Hello! Laughing

Can anyone tell me about the surname Kubaszko? My Great Grandfather Roman Kubaszko came from Moszczenica I believe. It does not seem to be a very common surname and I am having trouble finding records for him before Ellis Island. He listed his father as Stanislaw Kubaszko and last residence as Koliby, Austria but I cannot find much information about this location either.

Thank you!
nfstev

Replies: 53

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:37 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dana,
Both Moszczenica and Kocurow-Koleby are located in the powiat (county) and city of Zywiec Slaskie Poland (population 32,100). Zywiece is the home of Poland's largest brewery and the home of the largest concentratiion of adults (35) with the Polish Kubaszko surname. Roman's ancestral villages are now a part of the Zywiec metropolitan area.
Best regards,
Norbert Stevens

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:05 pm      Post subject:

nfstev wrote:
Hi Dana,
Both Moszczenica and Kocurow-Koleby are located in the powiat (county) and city of Zywiec Slaskie Poland (population 32,100). Zywiece is the home of Poland's largest brewery and the home of the largest concentratiion of adults (35) with the Polish Kubaszko surname. Roman's ancestral villages are now a part of the Zywiec metropolitan area.
Best regards,
Norbert Stevens

Norbert,

Can't express how glad I am to see you here! Tad is with us, too, and so is Tina.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
nfstev

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:13 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dana,
Roman Kubaszko married Karolina (Carol) Krecina on April 28, 1912 at St. Josaphat Parish in Chicago. Roman's parents were Stanislaw Kubaszko and Regina Stasica. Carol's parents were Martin Krecina and Maria Odziena. I am attaching a copy of their St. Josaphat marriage record. Note that at the bottom of the page is the marriage of Roman's cousin Josef Fijak.
It appears that Roman had two (2) brothers Joseph and Michael who worked and/or lived in Chicago for a while. Joseph "Kubina" arrived at Ellis Island on June 22 1913 and his destination was Chicago where he was going to join his brother Michael.
Norbert

Kubaszko Roman and Krecina Carol April 28 1912 St. Josaphat Parish Chicago Marriage Register.jpg
 Description:
St. Josaphat Marriage Record for Roman Kubaszko and Carol Krecina
 Filesize:  1.21 MB
 Viewed:  9468 Time(s)

Kubaszko Roman and Krecina Carol April 28 1912 St. Josaphat Parish Chicago Marriage Register.jpg

nfstev

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:21 pm      Post subject:

Hi Gilberto,
Thanks for the gracious welcome. It's good to be with you all again.
Norbert

nfstev

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:02 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dana,
Here is a Polish map of the metropolitan Zywiec area with your three (3) ancestral villages circled.
Karolina (Carol) Krecina was from Sienna.
Norbert

Kubaszko-Krecina Ancestral Villages with Villages circled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.48 MB

Kubaszko-Krecina Ancestral Villages with Villages circled.jpg

dlhayner1

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 pm      Post subject:

Oh my goodness!! In just 4 hours I have learned more than I found in the past year! I am so thankful for the above responses, I am truly at a loss for words. I had previously found an index of the marriage with sparse details, but to see the actual hand written record has just brought tears to my eyes. Karolina's information matches somewhat the information on the baptismal record I have for her, and I possibly have an Ellis Island record now too for her.....Now I need to learn Polish! I have never heard that Roman had brothers much less brothers that may have been in the area. No one has ever heard of cousin Joseph Fijak either.
I foresee hours on the computer tonight because I just can't wait to search with my new leads!
nfstev

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:09 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dana,
As a point of reference, cousin Joseph Fijak was Roman's destination at 909 (N.) Clybourn Ave in Chicago when Roman immigrated to the U.S. on June 21 1909.
Joseph Fijak was born around January 26, 1892 and died on November 27, 1966 In Los Angeles, CA
Norbert

dlhayner1

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:01 am      Post subject:

Thank you Norbert! I've been asking family members, an no one knows of the Fijak family or of brothers for Roman. I think I may have found an arrival record for Karolina on July 19, 1909 and it looks like she is also going to Clybourn Ave, though I can't make out the name of the person she is seeing. It looks like her last place of residence is Licenica and that doesn't seem to match any town I can find.

On another thought, Does anyone know if obituaries for The Dziennik Chicagoski newspaper is online? I can only find an index for death notices in the paper so far.

Dana
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:15 am      Post subject: Chicagoski Obits

Dana,

Obituaries from the Chicagoski are not online. Copies are available for a fee from the Polish Genealogical Society of America (pgsa.org). Depending on how many copies of obits you are interested in it may be more economical to join the PGSA since prices for members are discounted. The obits are stored in the archives of the Polish Museum in Chicago which is the same building as the headquarters of the PGSA. The Chicagoski was affiliated with the Polish Roman Catholic Union (headquarters in the same building). If you have many relatives who lived in Chicago, you may find it beneficial to check out the PGSA site for indeces of marriage records as well as other helpful info. On a slightly different topic...Caroline's birth & baptism record you posted is in Latin. I'll be happy to translate it for you but suggest that you post it in the Latin Records Translation area of the forum which will make it easier for it to be kept straight as part of the PO records indexing project.

Best of luck in your research.

Dave
nfstev

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:51 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dana,
You have the correct passage record for Karolina. What you see as “Licenica” I see as “Sienica” (or Sienna) Zywiec. Her nearest relative in her native land was her father Marcin/Martin.
Her destination was Clybourn Avenue in Chicago where she was going to join her brother-in-law Antoni Matlok. Antoni Matlok arrived at Ellis Island on October 12 1906 along with his wife Anna (dob 1880) and daughter Helena (dob 1902). The Matlok family was also from Sienna. If Karolina and Anna Matlok were in fact sisters has yet to be dertimined.
I am attaching the St. Josaphat Baptismal records for Florence and Stanley Kubaszko. Here is a link to the St. Josaphat microfilmed baptismal, marriage and death records. To find a specific record you have to know the approximate date of the Sacramental activity.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11608-95399-52?cc=1452409&wc=M66G-227:40024801,39672702#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecapi%2Fsord%2Fwaypoint%2FM66G-DN5%3A40024801%3Fcc%3D1452409
St. Josaphat is still an active parish and is located at 2311 North Southport Avenue, Chicago, IL 60614. http://www.stjosaphatparish.org/index.php
Best regards,
Norbert

Kubaszko Stanley 30 May 1915 St. Josaphat Baptismal Record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB

Kubaszko Stanley 30 May 1915 St. Josaphat Baptismal Record.jpg

Kubaszko Florence 4 May 1913 St. Josaphat Baptismal Record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.14 MB

Kubaszko Florence 4 May 1913 St. Josaphat Baptismal Record.jpg

nfstev

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:35 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dana,
As you can see from Stanley’s Baptismal records, Angela Fijak was his godmother. Angela Fijak (nee Tenczer) was the wife of John Fijak. There were four (4) Fijak marriages at St. Josephat before 1915.
Stanley (and Florence’s) godfather was a man named Frank Zwierzyna.
Most of these relatives/friends can be found in Ancestry.com public family trees.
Best regards,
Norbert

Zwierszyna-Marriage Index for Polish Chicago Parishes through 1915.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.83 KB

Zwierszyna-Marriage Index for Polish Chicago Parishes through 1915.jpg

Fijak Marriage Index for Polish Chicago Parishes through 1915.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.77 KB

Fijak Marriage Index for Polish Chicago Parishes through 1915.jpg

dlhayner1

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 am      Post subject:

Norbert,

I have been looking for St. Josaphat records online with no success! My father's family home was on Southport Ave and I resigned myself to the fact that I would just have to make a visit next time I went to Chicago next year. You have provided me with some wonderful resources, thank you! I am so surprised that the Fijak family was such a part of my grandfather's and great grandfather's life, and no one recognizes the name. Now I am armed with evidence and maybe that will jar some memories.
I don't know/understand the Polish cities, words etc, so when I saw that passenger manifest all I could do was try to figure out the letters. I think you are totally correct in your translation! I found what I thought to be a 1910 census for Karolina and she was in the Matlock household listed as a boarder (and she was listed as a male), now I know I had it correct!
I am confused though why her last name is Krecina, but on her baptismal record her father's name is Krecichwost.
nfstev

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:20 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dana,
I too do not understand a lot of the Polish language.
It could be that the priest picked the wrong line when he trancsribed "Krecichwost" instead of "Kręcina". Both are in fact valid Polish surnames.
Norbert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: