PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:47 am      Post subject: Map of Polish territory in 19th century

In the files attached below you will find a map of Polish territories ruled by the three occupying countries (Russia, Prussia and Austria) in 19th century, a time when so many of our ancestors emigrated from Polish land.

We have written permission from publisher of the map: Demart S.A. to publish it on our www.PolishOrigins.com website and translate it into English. We were thinking about translating the map and uploading into our website as it is. However, if you have any ideas how the map could be modified, improved (combined in any way with e.g. google maps, mapywig.org..?), to be even more useful for all of us, we are open to your suggestions and proposed solutions.

I didn't find anywhere in the Internet any other map showing more precisely the borders of countries which divided Poland among themselves in 19th century after the Congress of Vienna in 1815. I am sure that I don't have to convince you how valuable such map can be in our Polish genealogy research.

Copyrights note: Mapa Ziemie polskie w 2 poł XIX w. Gospodarka (Map of Polish territory in the 2nd half of 19th century. Economy), compiled and published by publishing house Demart S.A. www.demart.com.pl. Published by the publisher permission on www.PolishOrigins.com

Map legend:
Kingdom (in fact under Russian rule) - pink background
Russian partition - green
Prussian partition - blue
Austrian partition (Galicia) - orange

(click on the picture to enlarge)

map_polish_territory_in_19_century-east.jpg
 Description:
Map of Polish territory in 19th century. East part.
 Filesize:  496.25 KB
 Viewed:  35823 Time(s)

map_polish_territory_in_19_century-east.jpg

map_polish_territory_in_19_century-west.jpg
 Description:
Map of Polish territory in 19th century. West part.
 Filesize:  964.56 KB

map_polish_territory_in_19_century-west.jpg

Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:45 pm      Post subject:

BobK sent me improved version of the map. He did great job by enhancing the contrast and sharpening the image. Now we have one picture of the whole map.

Just look below (click on image to enlarge)!

Thanks Bob!

map_polish_territory_in_19_century.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  668.54 KB

map_polish_territory_in_19_century.jpg

Send e-mail
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 am      Post subject: prussia map

Bob,

GREAT job on revising the map Idea
Dziekuje bardzo Exclamation

James
misty69

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:49 am      Post subject: mapy wig

The Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG), was the Polish "Military Institute of Geography" from 1919 until 1949. Colonel Józef Kreutzinger was the Head of the Institute from 1926.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojskowy_Instytut_Geograficzny)

Indexes:

1. http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=WIG100
2. http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=GR100
3. http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=WIG25

in english: http://english.mapywig.org/news.php

misty69
violin75

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for providing this map and Nice work revising. The colors look great.

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
misty69

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:24 pm      Post subject:

Wink
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:01 am      Post subject:

Well done, Bob--Thanks for your efforts!
JK
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 am      Post subject: Poland Map

I thought it might be helpful to add a comment on this map.

I had an opportunity to visit a distant cousin while I was in Wloclawek, Poland, doing family research.
He was born and raised and still lives in Wloclawek, and is very knowledgeable about its history.
( Wloclawek is in the north - west portion of the pink area on the map )
I made mention that we were going to Torun to continue my research, since it was located in West Prussia, and West Prussia was the location of the family member I was searching for. Torun is the largest city in West Prussia, nearest to Wloclawek, which was in Poland.
My cousin said that the border of West Prussia and Poland changed location many times over the years. He said that sometimes the border was between Torun and Wloclawek, and sometimes it was east of Wloclawek, making Wloclawek a part of West Prussia.

So I say all of this to make us aware that this is a very good map for the time period, but don't be surprised if we discover some different info as to the exact location of certain places.

James
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:32 pm      Post subject:

The map as a presentation of "Polish Lands' is incomplete in the East. It ignores the so-called Western Provinces of the Russian Empire, which were part of the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania. As an example Dzwińsk, now Daugavpils in Latvia, still has a significant ethnic Polish population, with a Polish language school. Białystok is not indicated as in the Polish Lands.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Gubernie_zachodnie_krolestwo_polskie_1902.jpg
This Wikipedia map shows these "Western Provinces". Part of the south is missing.
Zenon

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:08 am      Post subject:

You are right Henryk, this is not a very precise and complete map of Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania lands as they were before the partitions of the country which started in 1772. The main goal of presenting the map is to show borders between invaders who divided Poland and help researches in replying to the question often occur to them:

What is really the country of origin of my Polish ancestors who emigrated from Europe in 1800s?

If we know the country name: Prussia, Austria or Russia, and we know the name of our ancestors place of last residence (or at least we are guessing it from blurry records), it is much easier to locate correct region because we know which area we should focus on. And as we know, finding correct place of origins is the most crucial thing, especially at the early stages of our research.
Send e-mail
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:29 am      Post subject: Historical maps of the Habsburg Empire and the Austro-Hungar

I have found this excellent website publishing the historical maps of the Habsburg Empire and the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. They are incredibly accurate and beautiful.
Of course, the most interesting part for us is one of the empire parts: Galicia (currently this area belongs to Poland and Ukraine).

The project is called "Mapire" and you can find it here: http://mapire.staatsarchiv.at/en/

This is really a feast for all map lovers!

Oswiecim.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.62 KB
 Viewed:  36145 Time(s)

Oswiecim.jpg

Krakow.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.54 KB

Krakow.jpg

Czarny Dunajec.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.37 KB

Czarny Dunajec.jpg

Austro-Hungarian Empire.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.64 KB

Austro-Hungarian Empire.jpg

Visit poster's website
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:51 am      Post subject: Re: Historical maps of the Habsburg Empire and the Austro-Hu

Aga Pawlus wrote:
I have found this excellent website publishing the historical maps of the Habsburg Empire and the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. They are incredibly accurate and beautiful.
Of course, the most interesting part for us is one of the empire parts: Galicia (currently this area belongs to Poland and Ukraine).

The project is called "Mapire" and you can find it here: http://mapire.staatsarchiv.at/en/

This is really a feast for all map lovers!

Superb!

I am just looking on Przemysl, the old map is superposed on Google map, when I zoom it swaps between old Austro-Hungarian and Google, one can see both at the same time.

Having those maps helps to see where were borders of Austro-Hungarian empire in Galicia.

Thank you Aga.

Elzbieta
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:51 am      Post subject:

Overlaying Galicia over present Poland shows additional Polish territory of the 19th Century to the south of Galicia. These were part of Hungary pre 1918: Jablonka area to the west of Nowy Targ, and the Śpis area to the east of Nowy Targ. More details in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Czechoslovak_border_conflicts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slovakia_borderPoland.png
stankieta

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 am      Post subject:

Hello Aga,
Can you provide me with the link to the webpage where you found the map of Czarny Dunajec from you post of March 10, 2013? I tried to find it on the Mapire website but I was not successful. That map shows a portion of my ancestral village of Stare Bystre in the bottom right section and I would like to see if I can download a higher resolution copy of the map. Thanks.
Send e-mail
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:15 am      Post subject:

Stan,

As I can see now, the website has been redesigned.

There are several maps to choose now. I clicked on the button "The Third Military Survey 1869-1887" and then the map opened.
Here is the link to Czarny Dunajec (I hope it works): http://mapire.eu/en/map/hkf_75e/?zoom=14&lat=49.43764&lon=19.85422

I think that you can try the same with other maps available on the main website.

Greetings,

Aga
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: