PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 117

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:16 pm      Post subject: Chamer - Hamer - Chamera - etc.

Hi everyone!

What do you think the etymology of the surname Chamer, and its similars, might be?
Is there a meaning?

All suggestions are welcomed!

Best,
Philip

PS. I know there's a word, cham, which means someone who behaves rudely towards other people.
TadWysocki

Replies: 70

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:39 am      Post subject:

Hi Philip,

According to Polish etymological works the old Polish surname Chamer is cognominal in origin, and derives directly from the old Polish word/name /surname Hamer, noted in old Poland from the year 1441. Generally, the "hamer" in old Polish language meant a smithy, what would give the profession of the first ancestor in Poland surnamed Chamer/Hamer.

The other explanation would be "Hammer" going from the Germany language - giving in old Polish language the word "hamera" - a storm, turmoil.

Happy weekend!
Tad
TadWysocki

Replies: 70

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:43 am      Post subject:

Forgot to tell, Chamera is noted in Poland from the year 1615 [but this directly from "hamera" as a storm, turmoil, snowdrift].
Philip
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:33 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Tad!

I didn't know about that Old Polish meaning! Very useful!

Considering what you said:
Quote:
Generally, the "hamer" in old Polish language meant a smithy, what would give the profession of the first ancestor in Poland surnamed Chamer/Hamer.

Could it be of jewish origin?
I know that it's always difficult to prove it and there are different historical possibilities.
But, as like as in other countries, e.g. Germany and Italy, the jewish surnames were often linked to the profession.
Especially when the profession was a form of artisanship.

Philip
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:19 pm      Post subject:

Hello,
I traced my linage back to Jacob Chamier(~1780-1810). He married Antonina Czaplicka in 1804, and was an Austrian or Prussian soldier/noble. His origins before the marriage are unknown as far as I could tell. Chamier was spelled Szamier on my great-great grandmother's death certificate. When I was digging up information, many theorized that Chamier came from Chamierowi and other roots. On the marriage certificate in 1804 and his death in 1810, there was no clues as to details of his parents or origin. If you get further back than 1804, let me know.
John

Edit: Here was a page in the forum from way back....Hope it helps
http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11306
Philip
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:16 am      Post subject:

starkey76 wrote:
Hello,
I traced my linage back to Jacob Chamier(~1780-1810). He married Antonina Czaplicka in 1804, and was an Austrian or Prussian soldier/noble. His origins before the marriage are unknown as far as I could tell. Chamier was spelled Szamier on my great-great grandmother's death certificate. When I was digging up information, many theorized that Chamier came from Chamierowi and other roots. On the marriage certificate in 1804 and his death in 1810, there was no clues as to details of his parents or origin. If you get further back than 1804, let me know.
John

Edit: Here was a page in the forum from way back....Hope it helps
http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11306

There are different spellings: Chamer, Chamera, Hamer, Hammer, Chamier and maybe other.
As Tad said before, those different spellings have probably different meanings.
The problem is trying to understand if those have a common ancestor or if they are really different from one another.
However there are obviously people with that surnames before 1800, take a look at the Polish Index website: http://goo.gl/HaKSBN
Another point is check if there're other similar surnames in other countries...

From which city are your ancestors from? Austrian or Prussian?
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:41 pm      Post subject:

When Victoria Jagaczewski died in Wheeling WV in 1932, it had on her death certificate that her maiden name was Schamier. Then on one of her children's death's, it was spelled Samier. When I started messing with the spellings, Szamier was the spelling I found, and then Szamyer, Chamier, etc. Before he died, Jacob had 1 son named Tomasz Chamier/Szamier, who had 20 children. One of which was my G-G-G-grandfather Walenty Szamier(1839-1907). I just followed it back to Jacob, as the name seemed to come from that family alone in that area.
The translation I got from Elzbieta on this site on Jacob's death in 1810:

Year one thousand eight hundred tenth, twenty-fifth day of the month of June, in front of us, pastor of Krzynowloga Mala, acting officer of the Vital Record Registry of community Krzynowloga Mala, department of Plock, county Przasnysz, appeared in [born] Jakob Czaplicki, heir resident in the village Ulatowo-Adamy in the parish Krzynowloga Wielka. and [born] Wincenty Smolenski, possessor of nobles parts, residing in Ostrowe Dyle, and declared to us, that on twenty-fourth day of this month, current year, at eight o'clock in the afternoon, died [born] Jakob Fryderyk Chamier, thirty years old, possessor of a large noble part, resident in Ostrowe Dyle, at [house] number one. Then, declaring, signed with us this Act, after reading it, but one witness, who do not know how to write, marked crosses.

Everything I came across said he was a soldier from a war, possibly the Napoleonic wars? And he settled and married the heiress of the area. Never got any real clues as to his origin. His marriage from 1804 is only an index, no scan to give clues. Gilberto suggested you could see it in person though. Hope it helps.
John
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:57 am      Post subject:

Probably from the Polish Army of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw.
Philip
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:52 pm      Post subject:

John,

as you can see here: http://goo.gl/9qGy0P there are still a few people named "Szamier", you can try with other similar surnames.
Moreover, as you said correctly Chamier probably came from Szamier which sounds more like a german-polish-prussian surname.
It isn't a typical polish surname. The best thing would be to find other people with a very similar surname and contact them trying to find out more about a possible "place of origin". Probably, you cannot continue your researches because your ancestors moved from one part of the country to another one, during war times.

However I don't thing it is connected to the Chamer, Hamer surname I'm taking about.
Yours is a more particular one, which actually could make easier your researches for finding direct ancestors! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: