PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Pierogi
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:25 pm      Post subject: Pierogi

I love this site! My family is gone except for my brother who lives in Oregon so I hardly ever see him. So I'm very excited to talk about polish things on this site.
Reading the posts about polish cuisine made me think about my grandmother and my mom making pierogi. My favorite was plum pierogi. My mom sauteed them and we ate them with powdered sugar and sour cream. My children only like the ones filled with potatoes. I like the plum and farmers cheese. I watched Martha Stewart and her mom make them and I copied her recipe. They came out pretty good. Very Happy
KKempa

Replies: 43

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:23 pm      Post subject:

I love perogi! My favourite filling is still potato and cheese. I never had plum when I was growing up but the Austrian woman who used to live across the road would bring over some "plum dumplings" whenever she made them. Very good, with a thin (brown sugar?) sauce and browned, buttered crumbs on top. But they were dessert -- she made potato/cheese ones for the main course.
NancyM
PolishOrigins Matka Chrzestna

Replies: 185

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 pm      Post subject:

I have never had fruit or cheese pierogi. My favorite (hmm, I guess the only kind my mother made!) was kapusta, first boiled, then covered with melted butter. The dough was so delicate.

I thought my mother made the very best, but then a few years ago I had some pierogies in Krakow ... and the borscht ... exquisite!
eastsider

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 am      Post subject:

I like the pierogi with kapusta too! Although my mom never made it that way, I have had it at the Polish Cultural Club and it's very good.

We have a polish market near my house and they sell pierogis with strawberries, blueberries, etc. I don't think I'd like those, but plum - yes!
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:34 pm      Post subject:

We just discovered prepared & frozen pierogi at the "Costco" chain here in the US. I'm always suspicious of any of my old favorite foods that are prepared in a factory and sold frozen, but Costco had some free samples when we were shopping - and they were ok. Not like mom used to make, but passable. Only potato style unfortunetly. (Mom made those, kapusta, and farmers cheese.. Never had plum)

They were read to eat, but we fried them in butter and sauted onions. Even better than the free samples at the store.

Kielbasa would have been a great addition, but here in Portland Oregon, all we can buy is smoked kielbasa, and I really really miss fresh! .. sigh.

Bob K.
Send e-mail
bunny

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:50 pm      Post subject: Polish Cuisine

I miss all the polish foods. I remember my grandmother making them for Christmas Eve supper. I've never had plum, sounds good. I remember cottage cheese, is that nearly the same as farmer cheese?
Please could someone tell me what KAPUSTA id, I've heard of it, but do not remember exactly what it was.

Bunny N
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Cuisine

bunny wrote:
I miss all the polish foods. I remember my grandmother making them for Christmas Eve supper. I've never had plum, sounds good. I remember cottage cheese, is that nearly the same as farmer cheese?
Please could someone tell me what KAPUSTA id, I've heard of it, but do not remember exactly what it was.

Bunny N

Kapusta = Cabbage .. Cooked...

Farmer's cheese is the non-commercial way that farmers make "cottage cheese", or as mom called it "pot cheese".

My mother would accept the neighbors milk that soured (and back then, the cream was *IN* the milk & it'd rise to the top, you knew you had whole milk!).. and -- Milk did not last for weeks as it does today, It probably wasn't pasturized, 3-4 days was max to keep it.
She'd put it in a pot or bowl, cover it with a dish towel and overnight there was 'farmers cheese' floating on the whey (the liquid). Strained, rinsed & into the pierogi..

I tried making it years later, but by then the pasturization didn't let it turn to anything that smelled right (though, one time I did get cream cheese of it!).

Sigh...
Bob
Send e-mail
sikorskidp

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 pm      Post subject: nieghbor

eastsider wrote:
I like the pierogi with kapusta too! Although my mom never made it that way, I have had it at the Polish Cultural Club and it's very good.

We have a polish market near my house and they sell pierogis with strawberries, blueberries, etc. I don't think I'd like those, but plum - yes!
frostyrose33

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:22 pm      Post subject: Site to order farmer cheese online

http://www.andrulischeese.com/

They will mail it to you. I've done this and it came in its own little cooler. I grew up in Michigan and mom used only this in her pierogi which had sauteed onions and cooled mashed potatoes and the cheese. Now I'm out west and was tickled to be able to get it again without having to drive somewhere east of the Mississippi! Christmas treat Smile
violin75

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 am      Post subject:

Mmmmmmmm, Pierogi's! I loved them growing up when my Babci would make them. She made the Potatoes and cheese and the blueberry, plum too! My favorite was the potatoes and cheese and still are to this day! She would show me how to make them and then we would fry them in butter, then top with sauteed onion and sour cream. The best!We loved them with Kielbasa and sometimes we would have them with Gulumpkie(i know Im not spelling it right).
Sometimes when we wanted Pierogi and didnt have the time to make them she would make us what she called a "fake Pierogi", which is boiled noodles and cottage cheese mixed in with a little salt and pepper! Of course, its not a Pierogi but it did the trick.

All this Pierogi talk, I think the kids and I gonna make Pierogi's this week.

BobK- I have tried the frozen ones you are talking about and I completely agree... they will do but it is not the same!
My daughter constantly tells people that the Kielbasa they sell in the grocery stores is NOT real Kielbasa, its fake Kielbasa she says, ever sense she tried it bought from the Polish Market many years back, its very funny!

Once you've had the real thing, substitutes just wont do! Smile
chelseaF

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:36 pm      Post subject: Pierogi & Kielbasa

The best mail order Pierogi I've found to date are from oldworldeats.com
Homemade, fresh, delicious. Incredible Kielbasa too. If you're not lucky enough to live in a city with a strong polish population, old world eats is definitely the next best thing.
przytula

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:11 am      Post subject: pierogi

it is very easy to make
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/Pierogi/pierogi.html
best regards, Zbigniew Przytuła

Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 am      Post subject: Pierogi - video recipe

I have found lately a very good video with pierogi recipe. Anyone is willing to try it at home?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKWl-njXhP0

[html-link]
Visit poster's website
Zhuliye

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:54 pm      Post subject:

My grandmother made her pierogi dough with cooked potato in it, then filled with pot cheese, and farmers cheese. After cooking she sauted them in butter and served with fresh cream. Maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar. Over the summer I was in Poland, Bialystok, and had pierogis there. I was very disappointed. I live in China, and have made my own following my Babci's recipe, even making my own cheese. So I was so surprised to be disappointed in Poland.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:46 am      Post subject:

Zhuliye, do not be disappointed. As usual, things done at home are much better than those outside, in the town.

Wonderful to have someone knowing and practicing Polish pierogi in China, wow! Especialy because in China there is also such a big tradition of pierogi (so called Beijing pierogi in Paris).

I must confess that today it's quite exceptional to buy a good pierogi in Warsaw (I was there two weeks ago). I can still find one or two so called "bar mleczny", where old women do cooking, it's cheap and good (but it has nothing to do with restaurant and service). I know also one place in Zoliborz, where they sell pierogi z jagodami prepared by knowledgable persons, very good (no way to buy it in France).

Of course nothing taste the same way like pierogi prepared by my Mom, today a dear souvenir.

I will have my cousin from Szczecin on short vistir starting tomorrow, she knows how to make tasty pierogi, I will try to take pictures.

Aga: I just looked the small movie. My comment is: sorry - I know how to make the dough, and how to do pierogi. The cellophane (never ever used in Poland when doing pierogi) is so artificial. Like puting high heels shoes to peel potatos.

Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: