PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:27 am      Post subject: Katyn by Andrzej Wajda

Katyn directed by Andrzej Wajda among nominees in category Foreign Films!

http://tinyurl.com/2uv24e

Last edited by Zenon on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:51 am      Post subject:

More about movie itself:

Trailer: http://polishorigins.com/document/history_videos#katyn_trailer
movie description: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0879843/

and about Katyn Massacre:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_Massacre

and: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cold.war/episodes/01/spotlight/index.html

I am sure that even if the movie will not get the Oscar thanks to Andrzej Wajda production many more people will learn now about tragic fate of Polish officers and lots of others great Poles...

Nevertheless... Fingers crossed Exclamation
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:10 am      Post subject:

No Oscar.
However, as Andrzej Wajda said after ceremony:

"Najbardziej podtrzymuje mnie na duchu to, że taka duża widownia przyszła obejrzeć ten film i że tak dużo ludzi uznało, iż ten film jest im potrzebny"

"What raises my spirit most is the fact that so big audience came to see the film and that so many people acknowledge they need this film".

I would add that thanks to this great film so many new people throughout the world learned and will learn about tragic fate of Polish intelligentsia.
Send e-mail
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 am      Post subject: KATYN DVD

Last night I watched the movie KATYN. A very well made movie, on a very sad subject, but certainly a subject that the modern world should be aware of , and not forget. If you get an opportunity to see the movie, I recommend that you do. Due to very graphic scenes, I would caution allowing children to see it.
I purchased the DVD on ebay, from a seller named " zhollywood311 ". The e-mail address is " [email protected] ". The DVD was advertized as being " region free ", meaning it should play on any DVD player in the world, but there was no guarantee that it would . So I took a chance, and it played just fine on mine.
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:56 pm      Post subject:

Katyń review from The New York Times.

Bearing Witness to Poland’s Pain.

Abstract of the review:

In the spring of 1940 the Soviets proceeded with the “liquidation” of the Polish officer corps, shooting nearly 15,000 men in Katyn Forest, including Mr. Wajda’s father, and burying them in mass graves. As Mr. Wajda makes clear, the intent was not simply to destroy Poland’s military command but also to purge its population of engineers, intellectuals and other citizens whose education and expertise might help the country to function independently.

The Nazis, meanwhile, contributed to this project by shutting down universities and rounding up professors. Just as one character, the army captain Andrzej (Artur Zmijewski), awaits his fate at the hands of the Russians, his father, a professor in Krakow, falls into the hands of the SS.

Full text of the review: http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/movies/18katy.html?8mu&emc=mua1
Send e-mail
kith

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:43 pm      Post subject:

Just watched this movie. It was very sad, but a very well made movie.
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:21 am      Post subject:

Wayda's Katyn is a film that needs to be seen more here in the states. I've asked my local library to secure a copy. I remember taking my wife to see it here in northern california last yr at a local film festival.

That night we also saw a more lighthearted film, "Hania"...It was a sweet, gentle film with a wonderful message...
kith

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:18 pm      Post subject:

Jakrysi wrote:
Wayda's Katyn is a film that needs to be seen more here in the states. I've asked my local library to secure a copy. I remember taking my wife to see it here in northern california last yr at a local film festival.

That night we also saw a more lighthearted film, "Hania"...It was a sweet, gentle film with a wonderful message...

My library has a copy. That's how I saw it. Yes, if your local libraries don't have Polish movies, ask them to buy them. They will.

I've never heard of Hania. I'll have to see if my library has it.
Zenon

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:49 am      Post subject:

70th anniversary of Katyń massacre.
Katyń by Wajda shown on the public Russian TV last Friday (Good Friday).

This year we celebrate 70th anniversary of Katyń massacre. What is very remarkable Wladimir Putin will visit Katyń to take part in a memorial service marking the Katyn massacre. Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk is also expected to attend the ceremony on April 7th, while Polish President Lech Kaczynski is to travel to Katyn on April 10.

The fact that the film about massacre of Polish officers by occupying Soviet forces was premiered on Russian TV is widely commented as a positive sign in Russian-Polish relations as the two countries. "I have never thought that I would live to this moment. It is a great step forward toward the true between our nations" - Wajda commented.

You can read more commentaries here:

http://rt.com/Politics/2010-04-05/roar-wajdas-katyn-shown.html
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainment/7016957/katyn-film-premiers-on-russian-tv/

You can purchase the movie by renowned Polish director Andrzej Wajda, nominated to Oscar in 2008 on Amazon.com here: Katyń or through our PO Store along with many other items related to Poland and Polish genealogy.
Send e-mail
kith

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 am      Post subject:

Zenon wrote:
70th anniversary of Katyń massacre.
Katyń by Wajda shown on the public Russian TV last Friday (Good Friday).

What is very remarkable Wladimir Putin will visit Katyń to take part in a memorial service marking the Katyn massacre.

The fact that the film about massacre of Polish officers by occupying Soviet forces was premiered on Russian TV is widely commented as a positive sign in Russian-Polish relations as the two countries. "I have never thought that I would live to this moment. It is a great step forward toward the true between our nations" - Wajda commented.

AMEN![/b]
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 pm      Post subject:

It's indeed very significant for Putin to appear with Tusk, etc at Katyn. The subtext and the decorum will be important and carefully diplomatic. As for the recent broadcast on Russian television of Wayda's film---wow.
There are many records of the martyred Poles that could see the light of day, it is hoped.
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:38 am      Post subject:

I found for you trialer of Katyń by Wajda.

[html-link]
Send e-mail
kimerajamm

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:41 am      Post subject:

I like Polish general in this movie. He is the definition of honor, duty, respect to his soldiers.
Very few Soviet generals had these traits, soviet soldiers were treated like cannon fodder. It's just that totalitarian state would punish any "good", caring general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Books & Movies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: