PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:10 pm      Post subject: Searching for location of great-grandfather's family

I am planning a trip to Poland in October 2015 and want to visit the parish of Grzebsk which I have a copy of my great-grandfather Anastazy Rudzinski baptismal record. His parents were Julianna Rudzinski and Korduli Dlugokeckich. He was born at Dlugokatach. I have no idea how to find that town or village. I would love to connect with people from the community prior to arriving and maybe get suggestions on places to stay in the area for an evening after visiting the church and cemetery. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Karen
Send e-mail
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:55 pm      Post subject: Re: Searching for location of great-grandfather's family

kmille02 wrote:
I am planning a trip to Poland in October 2015 and want to visit the parish of Grzebsk which I have a copy of my great-grandfather Anastazy Rudzinski baptismal record. His parents were Julianna Rudzinski and Korduli Dlugokeckich. He was born at Dlugokatach. I have no idea how to find that town or village. I would love to connect with people from the community prior to arriving and maybe get suggestions on places to stay in the area for an evening after visiting the church and cemetery. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Karen

Karen,

See map attached. Dlugokatach is written in a declensioned form.

Gilberto

dg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.92 KB
 Viewed:  16527 Time(s)

dg.jpg

Send e-mail
kmille02

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:09 pm      Post subject:

How far is this community from Warsaw where I will fly into? I appreciate you helping me identify the community. Is it a very big community, would it have a bed and breakfast or hotel?
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:50 pm      Post subject:

kmille02 wrote:
How far is this community from Warsaw where I will fly into? I appreciate you helping me identify the community. Is it a very big community, would it have a bed and breakfast or hotel?

Hi Karen,

Viamichelin is your friend for distances and hotels. It is famous French Michelin company, who knew how to provide service and information all over Europe. Trying to search hotel on, for example, Mława city website, is a terrible pain, no single useful information.

www.viamichelin.pl

Select Warsaw as starting point (could be Warszawa Okecie)
Select 06-500 Mława as your target city
add Długokąty [you will have a choice of apparently two identical Długokąty, in 2 different places of Poland, I tried and know it is the second line] See Dzialdowo-Mlawa-WieczfniaKoscielna.JPG

The total distance is 182 km. I strongly recommend you do not drive, but take a train from Warsaw Centralna to Dzialdowo, then arrange for a taxi rented in Dzialdowo or nearby for your local travels.

Frequent direct trains, you buy your ticket at railway station.
It takes 1h30 to Mlawa and 1h45 to Dzialdowo. Cost to Dzialdowo (one way) is 62 pln (circa $US20) for first class, and 30 pln ($US10) for second class, both are equally good. See JPG Train.

Polish trains are here:
http://rozklad-pkp.pl/

Why Dzialdowo?
In viamichelin.pl window (you may use it in English as well, viamichelin.com) in the bottom green line you may search for existing hotels. Only one in Mlawa, but 4 in Dzialdowo. See JPG Hotels

Best,
Elzbieta

Train-Warsaw-Dzialdowo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.82 KB

Train-Warsaw-Dzialdowo.JPG

Hotels-near-Dzialdowo-Mlawa.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  238.43 KB

Hotels-near-Dzialdowo-Mlawa.JPG

Dzialdowo-Mlawa-WieczfniaKoscielna.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.38 KB

Dzialdowo-Mlawa-WieczfniaKoscielna.JPG

PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:57 pm      Post subject:

kmille02 wrote:

Karen~ You are lucky - there is only one Grzebsk in Poland. Just use Google maps, enter Grzebsk Poland, then add 2nd location of Warsaw to get directions. Est. is 149 km (or 100 mi.), approx. 2 hours drive time. Wikipedia has slightly different est. of distance, although this may be as the crow flies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grzebsk These are very small villages. I would guess Mława (pop 30,000, about 15 mi.) or Ciechanów (pop 45,000, about 30 mi.) would be your best bet for finding a place to stay. I'm sure your visit will be a wonderful experience. ~PL
Magroski49

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:29 pm      Post subject:

Karen,

At least two women and a man of the Rudzinski family still live in Grzebsk. (polish social network Nasza Klasa nk.pl)

Gilberto
Send e-mail
kmille02

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:43 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto,
You are a great resource, thank you so much for everything you have been able to provide. Do you know of any way of getting an address to mail the Rudzinski family a letter? I would love to see what they might be able to contribute to my search. I plan to have a driver/translator take us to the country from the city.
Karen
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:12 pm      Post subject:

kmille02 wrote:
Gilberto,
You are a great resource, thank you so much for everything you have been able to provide. Do you know of any way of getting an address to mail the Rudzinski family a letter? I would love to see what they might be able to contribute to my search. I plan to have a driver/translator take us to the country from the city.
Karen

Karen,

You would have to subscribe to Nasza Klasa and send those Rudzinski a message. As to your trip, maybe you would like to check this:
http://polishorigins.com/document/family_and_friends

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:42 am      Post subject:

Karen,

I couldn't respond personally earlier to your message as I was on one of our Genealogy Tours: http://polishorigins.com/document/genealogy_tours with our guests from Pennsylvania. We are back with dozens of new cousin discovered and in the near future there should appear another blog describing our adventures: http://blog.polishorigins.com/ Smile.

I found two phone numbers to Grażyna and Euguniusz Rudzinski living currently in Grzebsk (two separate addresses). If you need any assistance in contacting them or in visiting Grzebsk please fill in the request form here: http://bit.ly/genealogy_tour_poland and our PolishOrigins Team will try to help you in organizing your visit in Grzebsk.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: