PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:24 am      Post subject: Sekula Name

Hi I am new to this site and am so glad to have found it. I looked up my maiden name on Ancestry. com to find that it has a jewish origin. Also a relative found that there were 4 Sekula's that were in Auschwitz Concentration camp. All my known relatives in the US and in Poland seem to be catholic. grandpa Julian Sekula I was told came from Nowy Sacz Poland and His parents were laurentius Sekula born 1850 Konclowa poland and His Mother Victoria Krok Sekula born 1859 Grodek, Poland. My great grandfather Laurentius Sekula's father was Michael Sekula born 1825 Biala Wiznia Poland. Was wondering if there is anyway to find out if these folks had Jewish orgins or lived in area's where it was mostly Jewish. I am curious to search more to see if I can find out anything but it seems that it might be impossible after what the nazi's did and I am thinking that the records were destroyed.

Was wondering if there is anyone on this site that may have some information or connection to the Sekula relatives that I have mentioned here.
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Sekula Name

Gail wrote:
Hi I am new to this site and am so glad to have found it. I looked up my maiden name on Ancestry. com to find that it has a jewish origin. Also a relative found that there were 4 Sekula's that were in Auschwitz Concentration camp. All my known relatives in the US and in Poland seem to be catholic. grandpa Julian Sekula I was told came from Nowy Sacz Poland and His parents were laurentius Sekula born 1850 Konclowa poland and His Mother Victoria Krok Sekula born 1859 Grodek, Poland. My great grandfather Laurentius Sekula's father was Michael Sekula born 1825 Biala Wiznia Poland. Was wondering if there is anyway to find out if these folks had Jewish orgins or lived in area's where it was mostly Jewish. I am curious to search more to see if I can find out anything but it seems that it might be impossible after what the nazi's did and I am thinking that the records were destroyed.

Was wondering if there is anyone on this site that may have some information or connection to the Sekula relatives that I have mentioned here.

Hi,

Sekula or Sekuła with diacritic mark have the same Latin etymology:
Sekuła - 1393 od łacińskiego saeculum ‘wiek’.
Sekula - od łacińskiego saeculum ‘wiek’.
‘wiek’ = century (or age)

cf. http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=44&sub=822
opracowanie etymologii nazwisk - Ewa Szczodruch // based on 6 sources, starting with Kazimierz Rymut

Sekuła is very popular, more than 6500 names:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Seku%C5%82a
and 353 for Sekula:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Sekula

With such a number of Sekuła/Sekula it is statisticaly possible that this name appears in Auschwitz.

The only way to be sure about religion of your ancestors is to find records.

Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: