PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:16 am      Post subject: What if a father died before a child was born?

In all the hundreds of birth records I've found or gone through with my family lines, I've never found anything that talks about a father dying before a child was born.

I've found plenty of illegitimate births, of course. Some before a woman was ever married, some long after a husband was dead, one having four children before she got married.

I've seen some records where the child was not baptized for months because the father was "away." Could be work, a soldier, sometimes it's not mentioned.

But I've got to believe there are times when a man died before his child was born. Have any of our translators ever seen a record like this? I'm just curious if one even exists.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2780

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:50 am      Post subject:

Yes, I've seen a number of records where the father died before the birth of the child. The record lists him as deceased and as long as the child was born within the nine or so months after his death the child was legitimate and the late husband is named as the father. If, however, say a year has passed, it is a different story. The child then would be recorded as illegitimate.

Richard Sowa posted a death record on Latin Records Translations a couple of days ago where the child who died was born two months after his father's death. The record was from Slovakia not Poland but the same situation occurred at times in Poland.

Dave
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:02 am      Post subject:

Thanks, Dave!
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:15 pm      Post subject: Re: What if a father died before a child was born?

EANWhitson wrote:

But I've got to believe there are times when a man died before his child was born. Have any of our translators ever seen a record like this? I'm just curious if one even exists.

Beth,

I had 2 or 3 records on PO with a father deceased before his child was born.

I could find one here:
http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14117#14117

Best,
Elzbieta
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:46 pm      Post subject:

Thanks, Elzbieta!
Staripolak64
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:31 pm      Post subject:

Yes, I have seen many. Some listed a father of dying in an accident, being killed in an explosion of a steam locomotive, being killed in the Russo-Japanese war. One father was listed as "murdered" shortly before the child's birth. It was not a particularly rare occurrence.
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:02 pm      Post subject:

Wow. Well, it's helped me understand that they explain things as needed in the records. Thank you all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: