PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 pm      Post subject: German records translations

Here is the place where you can upload scan or picture file of your ancestors church record handwritten in German with request of translation it into English.

If you are a member the PolishOrigins all you have to do is:

1. Click on 'postreply' button at the top or the bottom of the page (see attached print screen).

2. Scroll down to the 'Add an Attachment' section.

3. Click 'Browse' or 'Choose your file' button there, find your picture file with record to translate in your local computer disk, and finally click the 'Add Attachment' button.

Your file will upload in a few moments and will be visible in your post after you click on 'Submit' button.

You can also add a comment to your request for translation in the 'Message body' field above the 'Add an Attachment' section.

Important: size of files can't be larger than 2 MB. (You can read more about adding files to messages in our Forum here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=373#373 )

We have a big request to you please cut and upload only the parts of document you ask to be translated instead of whole large pages. This way you will make our volunteers translators job easier to their tired eyes. They will have larger resolution of the scans and will not have to waste their time for searching the part of the record you are interested in.

To edit scan/picture files you can use one of the many desktop softwares (like MS Office Picture Manager or freeware Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ ) or free online services (like http://pixlr.com/editor/ or http://www.freeonlinephotoeditor.com/ ).

If you want to pay back to translators and pay forward to the whole community see also the announcements: Indexation of Translations and Donations for translations.
Send e-mail
nercell
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 287

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:26 pm      Post subject: 1884 Marriage in Gross Lensk, Prussia

Wow...German translations !!!!

I have an East Prussian 1884 mariiage record for my great uncle-front and back.

Also a short blurb from a German book referencing the village of Bonkowo.

https://books.google.de/books?id=lqhLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA36&dq=bonkowO&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0CHkQ6AEwDzgLahUKEwiumo330-_GAhXLmh4KHdRvB7I#v=onepage&q=bonkowO&f=false

Aprreciated,

Nancy

Franz Podsiadłowski (MP bro) marriage 1884 p2 6207 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  954.71 KB
 Viewed:  77787 Time(s)

Franz Podsiadłowski (MP bro) marriage 1884 p2 6207 (1).jpg

Franz Podsiadłowski (MP bro) marriage 1884 p1 6207 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  854 KB
 Viewed:  77787 Time(s)

Franz Podsiadłowski (MP bro) marriage 1884 p1 6207 (1).jpg

Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:50 am      Post subject: Re: 1884 Marriage in Gross Lensk, Prussia

nercell wrote:
Wow...German translations !!!!

Following suggestion of one of our member as well as seeing many requests for German translations posted recently and actual translations made especially by Sophia, Elzbieta and Ute, I decided to set the 'German records translations' thread.

I hope that this thread will develop as well as the other three: Russian, Polish and Latin translations sections and thanks to assistance of our great experts dozens of us will make progress in our families discoveries Smile.
Send e-mail
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 am      Post subject:

Hi,

I would like to include these two links that may be helpful. They translate the german words into polish ones. A bit easier, in my opinion.
http://wtg-gniazdo.org/upload/opracowania/asc_narodziny.pdf (for birth records)
http://wtg-gniazdo.org/upload/opracowania/asc_slub_1874-1875.pdf (for marriage records)

Gilberto
Send e-mail
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:59 pm      Post subject:

Poland was a very large, multi-languaged country.

My Polish mother, born in Lida (now in Belarus) to a Pole and a Lithuanian, came to the U.S. very young,
married my father - whose German parents were both born in different areas of Poland, one from Barany (outside Lipno),
the other from Turza Wilcza, so I know the frustrations and then elation of finding translations of all languages
handled here on P.O. Thank you Zenon for recognizing, adding and nurturing all those various languages.

There is help for German records at the SGGEE. I.E. see: https://www.sggee.org/research/research_aids.html

The SGGEE is "The Society for German Genealogy in Eastern Europe" ... as you may already know, there
were numerous Germans throughout many areas of Poland, as well as many "Evangelic" (Lutheran, or Protestant)
church's and those records may be in German, Russian, Polish or Latin. (I have 'em all).

During the late 1800's, records were supposed to be in Russian. Earlier, some protestants had to use the Catholic
Churches for marriage, deaths & christening, and those records could be in Polish or Latin. Some remote villages
did theirs in German and sent them to a larger parish. Some of the older records from Torun (Thorn) came to me in
"Old German" which took quite a bit of help to get translated (very much unlike modern German).
The SGGEE has an email list with helpful people too .

Bob

Last edited by BobK on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:44 pm      Post subject: Please help translate remark in German birth record

Hello,

I recently found some family records in the Evangelical parish books of Skottau. One is for Johann born to my great great grandmother, Maria Radziminski. There is no father listed. So, it seems to be an illegitimate birth. There are two oddities about this record:

1. in the column for fathers name is a stamp. I reviewed all the records on this microfilm roll and this is the ONLY entry with a stamp. Does anyone know the significance of this stamp?

2. There are several lines in the remarks column that may explain the stamp and/or shed light on the circumstances of the birth. Can someone please translate this remark?

Attachments included for the stamp and remark.

Thank you very much for your help,
Cynthia

image.jpg
 Description:
Remarks
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  77122 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
Seal
 Filesize:  1.26 MB
 Viewed:  77122 Time(s)

image.jpg

Send e-mail
HELENAWOJTCZAK
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 158

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:46 am      Post subject:

All sorted now.
Tracy9

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:16 pm      Post subject:

I have 2 postcards handwritten in German in the old style script. I've tried for years to decipher them, but since I don't know German and am not familiar with the script, it's been impossible for me. I certainly appreciate any help at all.

Thank you so much!!

Tracy

1-Ferdinand Lemberg-Postcard-1912-Back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  627.2 KB
 Viewed:  78549 Time(s)

1-Ferdinand Lemberg-Postcard-1912-Back.jpg

1-Frieda Lemberg-Postcard-1918-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  513.77 KB

1-Frieda Lemberg-Postcard-1918-2.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:53 am      Post subject:

Hi to everyone who has posted here.
Zenon, it is a wonderful idea to have all the German translations grouped together. I like your optimism in starting this thread, and I thank you for noticing that I was able to help a few people with some German documents, but I want to make it clear to everyone that my skills are very limited. I am not able to read the old German handwriting. I can read the old typeface, and I do have some command of the language but this is no where near the level of expertise that a native speaker of German would have. Gilberto and Bob have provided very useful resources that give the meanings of the column titles for various kinds of genealogical documents, so you already have help with the one thing I was actually able to do. While I may be able to decipher a handwritten word here or there, it is not a very good idea for me to do so on this thread. People posting here will have the expectation that their documents will be translated fully by someone who is certain of what they are reading, and who will do them in the order in which they were posted, as they are done on the Polish, Latin and Russian translations which are handled here on Polish Origins by the most wonderful volunteers. They all work very hard to see exactly what is written - - that is the only way people can confidently move forward in their research. So Nancy, Cynthia and Tracy, I am very sorry that I am not helping you. I would if I could. I do have great hope that someone with the proper German language skills will find this thread and help it grow.
Best regards,
Sophia
mcdonald0517

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:23 am      Post subject:

Dear Sophia,
Thank you for your reply and your candid disclosure regarding your abilities. I know you would help if you were able to do so.

I appreciate the bits of translated words you have given me so far - it definitely got me pointed in the right direction.

Thank you for you generosity,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
brymsza

Replies: 150

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:15 am      Post subject: von Rimscha doc

Would like this translated please.

Thanks in advance
Bob Rymsza

ADELMATRIKEL-1899.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  78551 Time(s)

ADELMATRIKEL-1899.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am      Post subject: Re: von Rimscha doc

brymsza wrote:
Would like this translated please.

Thanks in advance
Bob Rymsza

Bob,

==PO230:
http://polishorigins.com/forum/files/adelmatrikel_1899_136.jpg

No, I did not learn German overnight, including culture and history of past millennium, but this record from Livonia, today Latvia, one of Baltic Countries, plus my Summer’s discussion with German friends about Hansa, and wonderful cities built by Hansa, including Riga in Latvia, Tallinn in Estonia, Gdansk/Dantzig in Poland, made me curious enough to try to understand what it is, and who is he. Is it your own family record?
The nice outcome of genealogy is to learn so many interestings things.

Best,
Elzbieta
==

Hansa:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League

Livländischen Adels-Geschlechts = Livonian noble family

More curious: what is Adel?
http://www.hrgdigital.de/id/adel/stichwort.html
Google translate was my help, and a good one:
Adel means linguistically one hand, kind and origin (ahd. uodal, odal "inherited floor"), but on the other hand a social priority (ahd. Adal "noble race"). This language refers to the essence of Adal. quite accurately. It is a priority of the rights and obligations to the people. This was based on reputation, domination and possession and was characterized by particular forms of life and a strong class consciousness. … etc

At this stage I typed (with plenty of mistakes) that old German:
Left side under seal with crown:
Livländischen Landrath-Collegium // Landrath: rat=council; Livonian Council for Land Properties?
Kanzelei-Abtheilung // Kanzlei-Abteilung = Registry Department
Für das // for the
Adels-Geschlechtsbuch // noble families
nicht immatrikulierte // not matriculated
Edelleute // Noblemen
Livländ Gouvernements // Livonia governorates
Riga
Des 22 December 1889
N 73

Right-central side:
Von dem Livländischen Landraths // From the Livonian Landraths

Von dem Livländischen Landraths-Collegium wird desmittelst attestirt, dass der nobilisa ?ussifga? Edelleute G?L? Gerhard Heinrich von Reimscha geboren 30 Juni 1866, eine laiblissfar? des Ljeum? Michael Hieronimus von Rimscha und ()? des Frau Marie Eleonore (illegible) Spitzmacher geb. (geboren) Wilde
zu dem Geschlechte von h. Rimscha gehört, das verzeichnet steht unter N 51 Classe VI des für Livland bestimmten Geschechtsbuches Livländischen Landrath-Collegium nicht angehörenden Edelleute geführt wird.
Urkundlich ist dieses Attestat mit Unterschrift des residirenden Landraths, Contrasignatur des Ritterschafts-Notairs und Beidrückung des Livländischen Ritterschafts-Siegels ausgefertigt worden.
In Namen der Livländischen Ritterschaft

Approximate translation of that old German text with plenty of typos:

From the Livonian Landraths-Collegium is attested desmittelst that the nobilisa ?ussifga? Noblemen L? Gerhard Heinrich von Rimscha born June 30, 1866, a laiblissfar? ? (probably: legitimate son of) Michael Hieronimus von Rimscha and Mrs. Marie Eleonore (illegible) Spitzmacher born Wilde
belongs to the clan of h. Rimscha which is recorded belonging? under N 51 Classe VI of certain of Livonia Livonian Geschechtsbuches Landrath-Collegium nobles is performed.
Mentioned this Attestat has been drawn up and signed by the residirenden Landraths, contra signature of Knighthood Notairs and Beidrückung the Livonian knights’ shaft seal.
In behalf of the Livonian knighthood
Residirender Landrath:
Ritterschafts-Notair:
Seal: Nobilita Livonia
==

That is clear enough.
Googling more I found a picture of:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:1863_-_Michael_Hieronymus_von_Rimscha.jpg

Then a note on ancestry board concerning von Rimscha, written by someone from Riga:
http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=649&p=localities.scan-balt.latvia.rigas
and mentioning the same Gerhard Heinrich von Rimscha, geb. 30.06.1866
If you did not read the above note about von Rimscha, please do it. Quoting few words:
“in Riga of that time only one family of von Rimscha lived. In case you do not understand the German text of this webpage, it tells that Michal Heronym Rymsza (b. 1827) migrated to Riga from Poland and started all paperwork to recognize his nobility officially. He succeeded and was included in the registers of Baltic nobility. Simultaneously he changed his Polish name Rymsza to von Rimscha.”

Von Rimscha tree (at least part of it) is here:
http://www.geni.com/people/Michael-Hieronymus-von-Rimscha/6000000023909170301
==

An aside findings:
http://www.lvva-raduraksti.lv/de.html
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livland

==
brymsza

Replies: 150

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:39 pm      Post subject: von Rimscha family

Elzbieta

Thank you again for your excellent work. I hope you are feeling better.

The answer to your question is yes and no. Yes they are Rymsza's but, I do not believe, they are in my line. I work very closely with one of their family genealogists and we are always sharing documents. I was provided this early in when I was inquiring about the nobility status of my family. I have always wondered what this document said besides confirming nobility.

Thanks again
BR
Bob
BobJan
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 93

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 pm      Post subject: Translation Please

I have two docs in German that I would appreciate translations. Here is the first; the marriage of Heinrich Hoffman and Margaret Lang

Hofmann, Heinrich and Margaret Lang 1803 Marriage 10 original.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.74 MB

Hofmann, Heinrich and Margaret Lang 1803 Marriage 10 original.jpg

BobJan
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 93

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 pm      Post subject: Another translation please

Here is the second one.

Hofmann, unknown Death s o Adam original.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.18 MB

Hofmann, unknown Death s o Adam original.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95  Next Page 1 of 95

Jump to: