PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 pm      Post subject: Military Records

My great-Grandfather Michal Brej served in the Austro-Hungarian Regiment 93, Company 8 "drafted" from Galicia from 1883-1886. Are there any on-line sources that can help me locate his service records? I was able to learn of his service from a record of his marriage bans that noted the military's permission for his marriage.

Jack
mrshelminski

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:46 pm      Post subject: military records

I've discovered my grandfather, Ernest (Ignacy) Chelminski served two years in the German Army Infantry. This had to be before 1911 as he emigrated to the US and arrived in Baltimore in Aug. 1912. I found this on his registration papers in his writing in Manistee, Mi. He had lived in Jarosewa, Znin, Poznan, Poland. How can I find out proof of this in military records. Germany occupied Poznan at the time so I don't know if he wrote Germany instead of Poland becasue of that. I appreciate any infor.
Thank You.
Marty [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:28 pm      Post subject: Military Records from Poznan

Marty,

According to the attached article the records you would like to locate were destroyed in a bombing raid during WWII. Your grandfather would have been an ethnic Pole but a citizen of Germany/Prussia which is why he would have served in the German Infantry.

Sorry that the news about locating the records is not better.

Dave

capture_187.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.05 KB
 Viewed:  8303 Time(s)

capture_187.jpg

mrshelminski

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:48 pm      Post subject:

Dave, Thank you so much. I kind of suspected this but now it's confirmed. I was told by a cousing in Poland that my grandfather's father, Wawrzyniec, died in Nov. of 1943 and was buried in Brzyskorzystew. He said the Germans would not allow him to be buried in Znin with his wife. I can't find out any proof or other info about this. Got any idea where I can go for info? I don't like to take things on heresay but find something to back it up. He was born in 1856 in Janoszewo, Poland and lived in Aroszewo. He was 87 when he died so he wasn't in the service. I read somewhere that there was a mental hospital in that town and the Germans used paitients there for experimentation. But that was all I could find. Any way you can steer me in the right direction will be appreciated.
Also, Nothing comes up in my research about his dad, or his dad's brother, Vincenty Chelminski. The Chelminski family history starts with someone being born in 1830 from my mother's notes. But I've just hit brick walls.
Marty
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:33 am      Post subject:

Marty,

It happens that my maternal grandmother was born in Retkowo and baptized in Brzyskorzystew in 1884. My great grandparents were married there and my great great grandfather was buried in the parish cemetery. Outside of my grandmother the others were originally from the neighboring parish of Slupy where ancestors had lived for generations. My g. grandparents with their children immigrated to Chicago in 1888 and the last of my ancestors who had belonged to that parish (my 78 year old g. g. grandmother and her youngest daughter and son-in-law) arrived in the U.S. in 1890. Actually, almost the entire population of the old families of Slupy immigrated during the first great wave of peasant immigration from c. 1870 to1890 so that effectively ended my need to continue researching the later history of the area. I can't say whether or not there was a mental hospital in the village during WWII but Brzyskorzystew was never a very populous place---the present population is less than 400. The parish church together with the vital records burned in 1826 so any info prior to that date has to be pieced together from other sources.

My suggestion regarding the burial record of Wawrzyniec would be to ask the cousin in Poland to contact the parish. The contact info for St. Catherine of Alexandria (sw. Katarzyny) in Brzyskorzystew is attached.

How sure are you about the place of birth of Wawrzyniec? Could he have been born in Janowiec rather than Janoszewo? Was his wife Franciszka Sobolewska? If so, the attached marriage record index could be his and if that is so, the first marriage record should be that of his parents.

If any of this fits, let me know and I'll be happy to provide suggestions of how and where to proceed with documenting the info.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Dave

parish.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.05 KB

parish.JPG

chelminski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.54 KB

chelminski.JPG

mrshelminski

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:15 am      Post subject:

Dave, I have checked with info I have from my cousin and what you found and am waiting a reply from him as far as the birth being in Janowiec. All the info you found is plausible and there is just a difference of 2 years or so which is not uncommom in records I've found before. I tried to do some more research in the meantime and couldn't find anything about Vincenty, Lawrence's brother or the parents of Franciszka. But that doesn't mean it isn't right.
I'm trying to contact the parish now.
The info I have shows Vincenty being born in Mikre, Poland near Mogilno, in 1851. I have not death dates. The search continues. Thanks again for any help or suggestions.
Marty
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:23 pm      Post subject:

Marty,

The Poznan Project site is extremely valuable when looking for marriages in the German Partition. (Which is where the index posts came from.) Usually when you find a 100% match on that site it is the person you are looking for. Of course, it is only an index and the info needs to be confirmed by the actual record. The LDS microfilms are still the go to source for records from that Partition since many more books have been filmed than there are online records for the German Partition.
The two Sobolewski posts are probably the marriages of Franciszka'a parents and grandparents. Her age in the marriage to Wawrzyniec does not match with the date of the marriage of Jan Sobolewski & Katarzyna Malecka. However, a very valuable bit of info from the index is the note from Sharon Galitz. It seems that she would be a relative of yours through Franciszka Sobolewska and it also appears that she has done quite a bit of research. If her Gmail address is from a still current account it would probably be most helpful to contact her. According to info she posted it is possible that Franciszka was the daughter of Jan and his first wife. If Franciszka's age is correct and if the date of death of Jan's first wife is also correct, then Franciszka would have been an infant at the time of her mother's death and the mother who raised her---the only mother she would remember---would be Jan's second wife, thus explaining why dates and names don't add up. I've found a similar situation with the siblings of a maternal great grandmother. She was the oldest of four children and had one brother and two younger sisters. In the marriage records of her brother and of the elder of her sisters the mother is correctly listed. However, her youngest sister was only a year old at the time of her mother's death and her father remarried soon after his first wife's death. So the youngest sister combined the given name of her stepmother with the surname of her birth mother in her marriage record----very understandable since she was too young to have any real memory of her birth mother.

The marriage index for Wincenty is possibly that of the brother you are looking for, but that needs to be verified by further research.

A final hint...The records of Catholic marriages from the Prov. of Posen were obviously kept it Latin. Sometimes it is easy to figure out the Polish and the English version of given names in the records. However that is not the case with Aegidius (also sometimes spelled Egidius), which is Idzi in Polish and Giles in English.

Wishing you success in your ongoing quest,

Dave

sobolewski-malecka.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.73 KB

sobolewski-malecka.JPG

antoni sobolewski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.56 KB

antoni sobolewski.JPG

chelminski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.74 KB

chelminski.JPG

mestanton

Replies: 212

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:59 pm      Post subject: Józef Smoliński and Bolesław Smoliński in uniform

Can anyone help me with this photo of my grandmother's brothers who are in uniform but with different hats. Józef on the left was born in 1897 and Bolesław on the right in 1901. Does the book on the table have any significance?

Would it be possible to find their military records? Is this World War I or later? Józef died in an accident in 1925.

Marilyn

Józef and Bolesław Smoliński in uniform.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.31 KB

Józef and Bolesław Smoliński in uniform.png

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Józef Smoliński and Bolesław Smoliński in uniform

mestanton wrote:
Can anyone help me with this photo of my grandmother's brothers who are in uniform but with different hats. Józef on the left was born in 1897 and Bolesław on the right in 1901. Does the book on the table have any significance?

Would it be possible to find their military records? Is this World War I or later? Józef died in an accident in 1925.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

The name of the hat is rogatywka

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogatywka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogatywka

If Jozef passed away in 1925, age 28, then it is possible it is at the end of WWI, 1914-1918

I was searching for WWI, with pictures from National Archives - maybe like here
http://austro-wegry.info/printview.php?t=1733&start=0

Sorry not much help,
Best,
Elzbieta
NB. I think the book on the table, and the table, are decoration from the photograph
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:20 pm      Post subject:

More likely from the Polish-Soviet War 1920. Bolesław was only 17 at the end of WWI, and 19 during the Polish Soviet War.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=198085
Discussion and links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: