PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:28 pm      Post subject:

I forgot the name of that, thanks. I remember it to be Studzinina. That's just a childhood memory, though. I sure never wanted to eat it then nor would I now. My grandparents were Poles from eastern Galicia, south of Ternopil in today Ukraine. That area has moved boundaries so many times. It was Poland for a time and this area would have been southeastern Poland; however, when my grandparents were born, they were under the Austrians. My other grandma from northwest Poland today never made it. So, I would gather it was a southeast area dish. Maybe someone else remembers it, too.
joannes

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:45 pm      Post subject:

My Father made his own pickled pigs feet by boiling the pigs feet with vinegar and salt. His parents came from Southern Poland (Galicia) but were of Slovak ethnicity. He called the pigs feet "Schultz"(phonetic). I have tried it but did not accept it though the feet were boiled so tender that when eating the gelled mass, the bones were almost eatable. German Head cheese is very similar to my me..
Send e-mail
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Dish,

[quote="Edziu340" ..... pigs knuckles in a vinegar flavored jelly ...... ?[/quote]

My German grandmother (Born in Poland), made that. I had always thought it was a German dish! Wink ..

I just googled it and I'm finding recipes from every Eastern European nationality ...
The Polish recipe names it: Studzienina or Zimne Nogi

Bob
Send e-mail
Edziu340

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 pm      Post subject:

Thanks folks, I never thought of googling it, Thanks Mary and Bobk. I tasted it once when I was a kid, thats how I knew it had vinegar in the jelly. My Pop loved it, but I never ate it after the first taste. My family hailed from south eastern Poland area.
W-B Wes

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:17 am      Post subject: Favorite foods and pigs knuckles

Regarding favorite foods, one of my favorites has always been potato pancakes, which my grandmother called Platzki, but I seldom see it mentioned. Even today, at a church bazaar in NE PA, the potato pancake line will be around the block. My dad made the pigs knuckles in the sour jelly referred to, which we just referred to as pickled pigs feet. Delicious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: