PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:09 pm      Post subject: Polish Funerals in Old Photos

Funerals honor our departed ancestors. If you would like to share any Old Photos of Polish funerals, please post them here with a description.
GenGirl

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 am      Post subject: Funeral

These photos were found with family pictures. I wish I had source information to provide.

Funeral.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  480.1 KB
 Viewed:  16740 Time(s)

Funeral.jpg

Procession.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  442.41 KB

Procession.jpg

Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:46 pm      Post subject:

Wow, I appreciate the peek into the past...
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 pm      Post subject:

GenGirl,
Thank you for posting these funeral photos of your ancestors. These photos are so interesting. The men in the first photo are wearing Goral clothing and in the 2nd photo I see a man in a military uniform. Maybe early 1940's? Also the buildings in the background remind me of Chocholow.
GenGirl

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:18 pm      Post subject:

Look what I found today:

chocholow, things near Zakopane, ski resort, traditional Polish ...
www.timetravelturtle.com/2012/05/zakopane-poland-chocholow-church

This is the same building that you see behind the people in the procession in Chocholow.

Poland-2012-222_web.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.45 KB

Poland-2012-222_web.jpg

delink

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:33 pm      Post subject: Postcard of Funeral

I found this in my parent's keepsakes. I have no idea who the funeral is for, except it appears they were important. Anyone have any insight to this postcard?

Thanks, Diane

funeral Document - Created Nov 06, 2015 (page 1 of 2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  358.16 KB

funeral Document - Created Nov 06, 2015 (page 1 of 2).jpg

funeral Document - Created Nov 06, 2015 (page 2 of 2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  616.64 KB

funeral Document - Created Nov 06, 2015 (page 2 of 2).jpg

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:15 am      Post subject: Re: Polish Funerals in Old Photos

Shellie wrote:
Funerals honor our departed ancestors. If you would like to share any Old Photos of Polish funerals, please post them here with a description.

Shellie,
I don't have old photos of Polish funerals but have an excerpt from an article written by Frances Pine* describing Gorale funeral traditions that might be interesting to read as well. To avoid violating copyright laws, I don't want to post the excerpt here, but am willing to share it by e-mail on request.

*Pine, Frances. 1996. “Naming the House and Naming the Land: Kinship and Social Groups in Highland Poland”. The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 2 (3). Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland: 443–59. doi:10.2307/3034897.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/3034897?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:36 am      Post subject: Re: Postcard of Funeral

delink wrote:
I found this in my parent's keepsakes. I have no idea who the funeral is for, except it appears they were important. Anyone have any insight to this postcard?

Thanks, Diane

Diane,

The address of the photographer is
ul. Szczygla 11, Warszawa
which is the very center of Warsaw, near Nowy Swiat street, left side of Vistula

The old trees, and old grave stone in the back on the righ side, means it is an old cemetery at the time of picture (before WWII?)
The oldest cemetery in central Warsaw, on the left side of Vistula is Powązki
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmentarz_Pow%C4%85zkowski_w_Warszawie

You may find all cemeteries in Warsaw and nearby for exemple in that page
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komunalny_Cmentarz_Po%C5%82udniowy_w_Warszawie
click in the bottom line with "Cmentarze Warszawy" on the righ button "pokaż"
There are 3 community cemeteries in Warsaw (for all religions, including no religion): Cmentarz Polnocny (in the North of the city, build in 1960s), Cmentarz Poludniowy (in the South of the city, in service since end of 1999), and Cmentarz Wojskowy (Military, Powązki), plus several small cemeteries by religion.
Your pic cannot be from any community cemetery above. Please take into account the low speed of growing trees in Poland [I happen to know well the South Cemetery in Warsaw, have been making pictures over time for 15 years now; see attached pic].

At this stage you have to guess the year of funeral from how persons are dressed (and your knowledge, maybe in your parent's keepsakes, such as letters), and confirm if it is Powązki (grave stone in the back). Then more.

There is a website with Old Powazki, with pictures and index by names (two assets, validated names and partly deciphered)
http://starepowazki.pl/index.php
I attach a snapshot to show you where you can browse pictures, and search to identify the place on your pic.
Alas, I am not very much familiar with Warsaw's cemeteries forums in Polish, where no doubt you could get some help.

NOTE: few young women are with beret - hat - which let me think about army's or scout's beret
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berety_w_Wojsku_Polskim
One of that beret is on the left side, second person, with a white badge attached to her hat. Maybe a hint, or maybe not.

Best,
Elzbieta

SouthCemetery-oct2014-trees-15yearsold.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB

SouthCemetery-oct2014-trees-15yearsold.JPG

starepowazki.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.94 KB

starepowazki.jpg

delink

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:52 am      Post subject: Re: Postcard of Funeral

Elzbieta,

Thank you so much!. You provided a wealth of information, which will take me a while to get through. Unfortunately, I have very little information on my father's father side of my family. So I will have to go through the information online and see what I can figure out.

Thank you again,
Diane
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:05 pm      Post subject:

Diane,

Just a few comments about your funeral photo~It appears to me that the guests are rather well dressed, compared to a few other funeral photos I've seen of "rural" people in Poland. This may be something to recall and consider as you add information on your family line. Are there stories of any family member that may have been "well to do" or was successful in business?
The casket is also quite a bit nicer than the "Plainer wooden caskets" I've seen for more rural people.
Although it is not clear in the photo, it does appear to me that there is a woman with a lighter color hat and a black veil covering her face, with a man standing to her left, and possibly supporting her arm and one to her right also he is supporting her. Perhaps her spouse is the deceased or it could be a parent, either way she appears to be a lady in full mourning.
My guess for a date is the late 30's or early 1040's? Google the Photographers name as you may find something interesting on them and the dates of their business in Warsaw.
Thanks for sharing an interesting photo,
MaryAnne
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:03 pm      Post subject:

Hi Diane,
Since you included a scan of the back of the postcard, I will comment on it. What you have here is a "divided back postcard." You can read in various places online about the history of postcards. What I find interesting about the back on yours is the appearance of the dotted lines on the left; presumably the scan is upside-down and this is actually the right side of the postcard, and the lines were for writing the address of the recipient. I do not know how unique the dotted lines would have been, as opposed to plain lines, but maybe you can do an image search or look at old postcards on eBay to see if it was common in a particular era. The white border on the front, around the photo, is also an aid in dating postcards.
Best of luck,
Sophia
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:41 pm      Post subject: Ebay photos Regina Bełko funeral (for sale on 09FEB2017)

These photos are from the funerals of Regina Bełko and a Catholic nun. There is writing on the back of the photos - can anyone translate please? I don't know the village, but the clothes sure look like my Gorale ancestors in the Podhale area, don't they?

The photos were on sale at Ebay (US) 09 FEB 2017, item number 121822774028, seller vinnyboomba in Valparaiso, Indiana.

Slide1 Belko.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  736.52 KB

Slide1 Belko.jpg

belko 7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  461.48 KB

belko 7.jpg

Belko 4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  308.97 KB

Belko 4.jpg

Belko 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  366.02 KB

Belko 2.jpg

Belko1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  408.42 KB

Belko1.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:57 am      Post subject:

Shellie,

Going from the top down.

1. Funeral of Staś (Stanislaw/Stanley) 1974
2. And this is at Staszka's (Stanislawa's) house.
There is Staszka, Rózia (Rose) the nun,
Jantek (Antoni), Kasia (Cathrina) and Józef, Staszka's son.
3. Funeral of Staś 1974
Here they are on the bridge on the turn and you can see (brzeoń?) Opydówkę and
And in the valley there is Kurzejó (edge of the picture)
4. (Three pictures on the left say the same).
Aunt Regina
Died July 3rd 1975
Buried July 5th 1975
That's already at the cemetery.

Is it your family from Odrowaz/Zaluczne?
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:45 am      Post subject:

Hi Zenon! Thanks for the translation! These are not from my family. The funeral photos were up for bid on E-Bay and because I could see the name Regina Bełko, and they appeared to be Gorale, I wanted to post them here to help anyone looking for Bełko ancestors. Opydówkę..... is this perhaps Opydówka, a hamlet of the village Polanka, just a few km north of the town Myślenice (which is south of Krakow but north of Rabka? I was not able to determine the location of Kurzejó while looking at maps of Polanka.

I don't have these photos, they are for sale on Ebay, so I can only share these images as I've found them onilne. The photo that mentions the bridge and Opydówkę and Kurzejó...... I think it is the to the lower left corner, I tried to crop it out to see it better (see below).

Belko.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  443.46 KB

Belko.jpg

Belko bridge.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.46 KB

Belko bridge.jpg

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:11 pm      Post subject: Alexsander Setzmann

Alexsander Setzmann was my grandfather Edward's brother and died in Siemiatycze in May 1960. He lived in America from 1906 to 1926.

Both are said to have been born in Włocławek. Alexsander born 12 Dec 1881 and Edward born 12 Dec 1884.

AlexanderFuneral_May1960.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  397.42 KB

AlexanderFuneral_May1960.gif

AlexanderWake_May1960.gif
 Description:
Alexander Setzman-Zecman born in Włocławek
b. 12 Dec 1881
d. May 1960 in Poland
 Filesize:  810.82 KB

AlexanderWake_May1960.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: