PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:05 am      Post subject: Providing Gifts by mail to Polish Relatives

This past year I have been in contact with three different relatives in Poland that I only discovered this year. One relative is a newly married woman in her 30s. Another is a divorced Mom in her early 50s who also seems to be the geneaologist of the family in Poland. The third is a 74 year old grandfather with a wife daughter and the daughters husband and 3 kids. I provide the details to give a perspectuve if what the interactions have been like. All a little different.

I would like to send each group a Christmas gift, so the family relatives I was thinking something that could be shared amongst them like a food gift (not ethnically related at all...just food to enjoy at the holidays). The neely married cousin perhaps something like a belated wedding type present. The genealogist could be anything even a floral bouquet.

I don't have tons of time to purchase, wrap, go to post office and mail out. I am an almost 100% on line shopper and wondered if anyone knee a website that specialized in gifts that can be sent to Europe or Poland specifically or even a Polish based site that delivered in country but also had a user interface that was in English? Kind of like Amazon.com in Poland.

Thanks for help.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:14 am      Post subject: Re: Providing Gifts by mail to Polish Relatives

maryakg wrote:
This past year I have been in contact with three different relatives in Poland that I only discovered this year. One relative is a newly married woman in her 30s. Another is a divorced Mom in her early 50s who also seems to be the geneaologist of the family in Poland. The third is a 74 year old grandfather with a wife daughter and the daughters husband and 3 kids. I provide the details to give a perspectuve if what the interactions have been like. All a little different.

I would like to send each group a Christmas gift, so the family relatives I was thinking something that could be shared amongst them like a food gift (not ethnically related at all...just food to enjoy at the holidays). The neely married cousin perhaps something like a belated wedding type present. The genealogist could be anything even a floral bouquet.

I don't have tons of time to purchase, wrap, go to post office and mail out. I am an almost 100% on line shopper and wondered if anyone knee a website that specialized in gifts that can be sent to Europe or Poland specifically or even a Polish based site that delivered in country but also had a user interface that was in English? Kind of like Amazon.com in Poland.

Thanks for help.

Hi,

Here are my few ideas - I would love to see Poland's residents elaborate more.

Caveat: I live in France, and gifts (not necessarilly Christmas gifts) have been my problem for many years.
With following logistic conditions: have to take it on plane (lightweight) or buy in Poland as if it was from France (such as wine or cheeses, more than 1 bottle is too heavy for a plane, and duty free is to be discarded when you know what wine and cheeses French buy and drink or eat).

The first electronic gifts I bought to two teens were in 1999, tiny-tiny Ipad music oriented, and a small digital camera, $US 100 each.
I can tell from years perspective that Ipad was even a bigger hit than a small camera, but thanks to that camera idea I could get pictures from my family.

Today I would recommend iPad mini 4, Wi-Fi, 16 GB – 1699 PLN, you can buy at apple.pl, free delivery.
http://www.apple.com/pl/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-4/16gb-srebrny-wifi
iPad mini 4, Wi-Fi, 16 GB – 1699 PLN
Bezpłatna dostawa

I used to buy books in English from amazon.com, the delivery is from one of their european places, but not from Poland.
The best books shop (and not only books), beloved by all Poles, from 7 to 77, is EMPIK.
http://www.empik.com/
No English, alas
http://www.empik.com/elektronika/komputery/laptopy - laptops
http://www.empik.com/perfumeria/perfumy - perfums
http://www.empik.com/dziecko - children
http://www.empik.com/gadzety/dom-i-wnetrze - household

Wedel has an excellent Polish chocolate, but alas, they do not sell on line!!!!
http://www.wedel.com/#home

So let's see supermarkets.
Not many know that the majority of supermarkets in Poland are French, ant that this is one of economic French successes in many places, China and Japan included (I recall listening French music in Printemps building in Kyoto 20 years ago, an exact copy of the original French one at boulevard Haussman in Paris).
My secret for wine in Poland is Auchan (each time I shop there I call my French husband and get his expert advice on what I see on the shelves, then I see some other people following me and taking the same bottles ...). Auchan sells wine from all over the world, we drink it too, you have Australian shiraz, New Zealand, South Africa, Chilean, Italian, Bulgarian, Georgian, etc. All wines you know. French wines are much more difficult to select, that is the reason I need my husband's advices. BTW, my modest advice, never buy very expensive wines unless you know what you are doing, 16-40 zl is a good range.

Auchan on line, also in English, with food too (wine and chocolates too):
http://www.auchandirect.pl/sklep/artykuly/1157_1204_1422/Spozywcze/Slodycze/Bombonierki-praliny
They have many Wedel's hit:
E. Wedel Torcik Wedlowski ręcznie dekorowany
E. Wedel Ptasie mleczko (all parfums)
E. Wedel Baryłki bombonierka
Plus many other hits
Wawel Cukierki Michałki Zamkowe
Truffettes De France Trufle francuskie z nadzieniem? It’s not Nestlé, the best, but should not be bad.

I browsed auchandirect without being connected, so I could not see nether wines nor vodka or any other drink (that's the law).
My advice for vodka (I am not an expert, but Poles are and they told me): Czysta de Luxe Żołądkowa Gorzka 40% 700 ml
Incidentally it's a very good price. The other very good choice is vodka Finlandia.

Good shopping!
Elzbieta
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:44 am      Post subject: Re: Providing Gifts by mail to Polish Relatives

Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:

Żołądkowa Gorzka 40% 700 ml

Elzbieta

The herbal version is simply the best I have ever drunk. There are honey, mind, and now ficus versions.

Gilbero
Send e-mail
maryakg

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:04 am      Post subject:

It does not appear that Auchan delivers to two of the postal codes I intended to send. I was registering but I could not do it as a person living in the United States and simply entered postal codes of Gdansk and Jedwabne. As soon as I entered the codes it said that they do not deliver to those two sites.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:20 pm      Post subject:

Humm. Indeed, Auchan delivers in Warsaw area only. I will try to figure out if there is a way in Gdansk and Lomza area.
Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: