PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:01 am      Post subject: Understanding annotation on passenger record

Hi all. Attached is the immigration record of my great grandfather's sister, Maryanna Dudek. She is on line 22 of the manifest. Below her name is the name of "Kasimir Grabon" and next to his name is written "cousin". Does that mean that he is Maryanna's cousin? I am not sure how to read it. Also, can anyone tell me the "correct" Polish spelling of Maryanna? I have seen her name as Maryanna, Marya, Marja. Thank you all so much! Kate

Maryanna Dudek imm record 1902.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  656.01 KB
 Viewed:  6545 Time(s)

Maryanna Dudek imm record 1902.jpg

GenGirl

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:59 am      Post subject:

I would interpret that he is Maryanna's cousin, and that they were traveling together to Philadelphia.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Understanding annotation on passenger record

kamcglynn wrote:
Hi all. Attached is the immigration record of my great grandfather's sister, Maryanna Dudek. She is on line 22 of the manifest. Below her name is the name of "Kasimir Grabon" and next to his name is written "cousin". Does that mean that he is Maryanna's cousin? I am not sure how to read it. Also, can anyone tell me the "correct" Polish spelling of Maryanna? I have seen her name as Maryanna, Marya, Marja. Thank you all so much! Kate

Kate,

I see "cousin" too, and that supposedly means one of Kasimir's parents (father or mother) was sibling to one of Maryanna's parents (father or mother).

Please note three women together from the village Humniska, lines 20 Anna, 21 Sophia, 22 Maryanna. Line 23 is Kasimir Grabon from Górki, 5 km = 3 miles from Humniska. Anna Kopecka is going to her brother Stanislaw Kopecki. Sophia (Zofia) is going to her brother-in-law, Maryanna to her brother in law Franz Baranski. In line 18 there is another Franz Baranski, also from Humniska, going to his uncle Michal Florczak, -- the address has been corrected to brother Antoni [Baranski].
Kasimir Grabon line 23 is going to his brother in law, Michal Florczak.

I would keep the above aside, as it migh give you some lights on family relations, if confirmed.

Facts:
Uncle Michal Florczak is married to Miss Baranska (fact direct deduction from line 18).
Michal Florczak is brother in law of Kasimir Grabon (fact from line 23).
That implies Miss Baranska and Kasimir Gabon are not siblings, but cousins, and "brother-in-law" should be rather "cousin-in-law".

Assume Kasimir's mother was born Baranska (sister A), and had a brother Baranski (brother B), father of Miss Baranska married to Michal Florczak.
If Maryanna Dudek's mother maiden name is Baranska (sister C), then we have a possibility which satisfies to "Marianna Dudek is cousin of Kasimir Grabon".
In addition: could it be that (brother B) Baranski is Antoni Baranski, brother of Franz Baranski line 18? Then Maryanna Dudek is cousin of those Baranski too.

Re: spelling of Maryanna
Maryanna is composed of 2 names Maria (today orthography) and Anna.
Few years ago, when I arrived on PO with my own search, Sirdan explained to me that the name Maria in Poland was a kind of sacred, solely used for Virgin Mary, so when parents wanted to name a baby girl Maria, priest recorded it as Maria Anna, often written in one word Maryanna.
[I have two Latin birth records in my archives, one of my Mom, one of her sister; on the first one the name of my grandfather's mom is Maria, on the other Anna, there is no doubt she is the same person. Indeed, I have seen in archives her name as Maryanna.]

All the 3 variants: Marya, Marja, Maria spells the same in Polish. Since the orthography reform in 1936, the name writes Maria.

Best,
Elzbieta
kamcglynn

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:31 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much, Elzbieta! I wonder if "cousin" was used loosely here. Maryanna's parents were Ignacy Dudek and Petronela Kwiatek. If Kasimir Grabon were her cousin, then either one of Ignacy's sisters or one of Petronela's sisters would have married a Grabon. I don't believe Petronela had any sisters. I don't know about Ignacy b/c his birth and that of any siblings was before the time period covered in the archives at Przemysl. I have puzzled over the Baranski connection too b/c technically, "brother-in-law" would mean that one of Maryann's siblings married that Baranski. That's a connection I haven't been able to make so far.
Thank you for the explanation of Maryanna! Very interesting!
kamcglynn

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:59 am      Post subject:

Elzbieta,
Are "Florek" and "Florczak" derivations of the same name? Or are they totally different names.
Thank you!
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:14 pm      Post subject:

kamcglynn wrote:
Elzbieta,
Are "Florek" and "Florczak" derivations of the same name? Or are they totally different names.
Thank you!

Kate,

The etymology of both is the same, according to stankiewicze.com (gathering all databases), cf:
http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=44&sub=770

Florek and Florczak: od imienia Florian. Imię znane w Polsce od XIII wieku, pochodzenia łacińskiego, Florianus od Florus, od łacińskiego florus ‘kwitnący’.
// from the name Florian, known in Poland since 13 century, of Latin origin. The Latin word "florus" means blooming, in flowers.

Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: