PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:42 pm      Post subject: John Bonk

The baptismal record for John Bonk states that he was born in Skrzidlowitz, Germany on 11 Dec 1865, and baptized at Sw. Katarzyny Parish in Pawonkow, Germany on 17 Dec 1865. His naturalization papers say that he was born in Lublinitz, Germany. His parents were Carl Bonk & Josepha Maciol.

Ellis Island records have mixed up much of his information. He is listed under Franz Bank, his age and ethnicity are incorrect, and his residence is listed as Lanznisky. Is there a place called Lanznisky or could it be Lagiewniki or something similar?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

manifest-right side.pdf
 Description:
line 185

Download
 Filename:  manifest-right side.pdf
 Filesize:  249.93 KB
 Downloaded:  736 Time(s)

Franz Bank passenger record.pdf
 Description:
John Bonk

Download
 Filename:  Franz Bank passenger record.pdf
 Filesize:  124.45 KB
 Downloaded:  794 Time(s)

Last edited by GenGirl on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
GenGirl

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:30 pm      Post subject: John and Andrew Bonk

Following up on the Ellis Island record. John Bonk's birth and baptism were found at the LDS library under: Poland, Katowice, Pawonków (Lubliniec).

He had these siblings: Hedwig, b.22 Aug 1864; Carl, b.24 Dec 1866; Joseph, b.13 Nov 1868; Franz, b. 6 Nov 1869; Andrew, b. 4 Feb 1871; Paul, b. 20 Mar 1873; Karoline, b.10 Apr 1875.

The only sibling to immigrate to the US (that I am aware of) was Andrew.

I know that Andrew Bonk's naturalization record says that he emigrated from Antwerp, Belgium to NY on May 30, 1893 on the vessel Holland, but I have been unable to find that record. Andrew listed his birth as Lublinitz, Germany. He was born in Skrzidlowitz on 4 Feb 1871, and baptized in Pawonkau on 5 Feb 1871.

Both John and Andrew resided in Chicago, IL. John was married at St. Stanislaus Kostka Church. Andrew was married at St. Adalbert Church. John died in Chicago on 1 Apr 1951; Andrew died in Chicago on 9 Aug 1956.

There are many Bonk families in the Chicago area, but I have yet to connect with descendants of the other siblings.

Naturalization, Andrew Bonk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.09 KB
 Viewed:  8342 Time(s)

Naturalization, Andrew Bonk.jpg

jcbain

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:54 pm      Post subject:

Is this John Bonk m. Katherine Rampala and settled in Worcester MA?
GenGirl

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:09 pm      Post subject:

This John Bonk was married to Mary Sentowski Karch in Chicago, IL.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:00 am      Post subject:

Hi GenGirl,

With the Ellis Island record for "John Bank" having so much information incorrect, I wonder if that really is the entry for your John Bonk. What spelling are you using, when you search for records for him? If he was ethnically Polish, then John would be Jan and Bonk would be Bąk. The A-with-a-hook takes a sound very much like "on" in English. You can listen to the Polish pronunciation on Google Translate just by clicking on the icon that looks like a speaker: https://translate.google.ca/?hl=en&tab=wT#pl/en/B%C4%85k.

Most people creating indices for genealogy records who saw the letter ą would have written it as a regular A, so try searches for "Jan Bak" and "John Bak." He would have grown tired of being mispronounced and eventually changed the spelling to Bonk. Andrew would be Andrzej.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
GenGirl

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:47 am      Post subject:

Thank you for your comments, Sophia. In this case, I have church records from Germany for the family. They were BONK. John Bonk is Johann Bonk in the baptismal record, but on his headstone, he is Jan Bonk. From his naturalization record, I know on which ship he sailed. I think the boat writing looks like Jany instead of Franz.

As for Andrew Bonk, I cannot find a ship log from May 30, 1893. This date is shown on HIS naturalization papers. I have looked for him under various spellings.

I have marriage records for their parents, Carl and Josepha Bonk. They were married on 28 Jul 1863 in Glowczytz, Germany. Carl's father was Sobek Bonk. I have no earlier information on Sobek.

Last edited by GenGirl on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:50 am      Post subject:

Hi GenGirl,

To address your initial question, have you tried looking at Kartenmeister? http://www.kartenmeister.com/preview/databaseuwe.asp
It is an excellent resource for finding places that have German names. Using the search term Lanz* for example will get you place names beginning with Lanz.
You can also see there that Pawonkow is the Polish name for what the Germans called Pawonkau. You probably already knew that, but it is a good way of seeing how the database works to put in a known thing.

Sophia
GenGirl

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:39 am      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,

I appreciate your database tip. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: