PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 am      Post subject: What was the REAL surname? ---> Cropcho

__

Last edited by oncemore on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dgawell

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:51 pm      Post subject: get creative

How much do you know about this ancestor besides their name? One thing might be to research other things like using their village/city name from the old country. If I didn't know the name of the ship, I would have not found which one of the ten men with my grandfather's name was the correct one. You can use the Ellis Island website for free and use an advanced search. I found my grandmother only by trying different spelling variations. I imagine that a young girl traveling without family, not being able to speak English or German, illiterate, etc. didn't help as she gave her name and it was misspelled by adding an "h". Get creative!

BTW- the census will give you a year for immigration and the naturalization records can be a gold mine. Fold3 is now available online for free through our public library as is ancestry.com.
oncemore

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:53 pm      Post subject:

Hiya:

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know the ships name. I do have an immigration year - 1911. But haven't made any progress yet. Even doing searches on the Ellis site with contains "CR", etc. Have been unable to procure a naturalization record either. As of the 1940 census, he was still listed as an Alien.

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:51 am      Post subject:

oncemore wrote:
Hiya:

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know the ships name. I do have an immigration year - 1911. But haven't made any progress yet. Even doing searches on the Ellis site with contains "CR", etc. Have been unable to procure a naturalization record either. As of the 1940 census, he was still listed as an Alien.

Hi,

I would try 'contains rop', rather than 'contains cr'. Also, would narrow by sex, ethnicity, arrival year (1910-1915), plus only the two inital letters os his/her name. How are you sure it was 1911 if you haven't found ship's name?
In www.herby.com.pl there is Krops, Kropsz, Kropisz, Kropicz, Kropcz, etc.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
jamesc

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:09 am      Post subject:

Hello oncemore,

I have this surname, with the exact spelling you list here. I also have a written onomastic report about it, knowledge of my extended family, and I have met and discussed genealogy with a Kropko (who of course has a different spelling). Additionally, my grandmother of the same surname has self-published a book about the history of her extended family, of which my parents have a copy.

I'm happy to see if I can help, to compare notes, etc.

—James
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:41 pm      Post subject:

oncemore wrote:
..... I do have an immigration year - 1911.

Steve Morse has a website that everyone searching immigration records should know and use.
http://stevemorse.org/ .. Then chose the "Ellis Island Gold Form" for most searches. It uses it's own database, then
points you right to the Ellis Island record, if found, for you to get the manifest information (you will need an E.I. ID)

Unlike searching via the Ellis Island site, the Steve Morse site allows searching on many keywords, first name, last name,
companion name, town name, arrival date or age, etc etc ... AND you can enter just the few letters at the beginning of the
name, or 'sounds' like, or the phonetic pronunciation.

My family searched for years to no avail, finally with this site I found the badly mistranslated name that was nowhere
near the correct spelling. Also, searching on only the name of town, was able to find others that emigrated to the U.S.

Bob
Send e-mail
jamesc

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:57 am      Post subject:

Hello oncemore,

Any thoughts on my last message?

Even if what I have wouldn't be of interest to you, it'd be great for my own research to learn more about why you're into the Cropcho surname (and its variants).

James
jamesc

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:20 pm      Post subject:

Hey oncemore,

Hope you don't mind, thought I'd ask this one last time.

Thanks,
James
oncemore

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:43 pm      Post subject:

HI James:

Sorry - yes interested!
For some reason, I wasn't getting reply notifications -- sorry!

jamesc

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:06 am      Post subject:

Hello Oncemore:

Happy you're back on board. I asked around regarding the family tree document and got no response, sadly. So…no data there?

Did you happen to see this, assuming you didn't write it yourself: http://www.polishforums.com/genealogy/cropcho-thoughts-surname-might-led-anglicized-77423/ ? Sounds like a good lead, too, for the surname stuff at least.

Let me know if you want it—I will send you the onomastic report on Cropcho. For what it's worth, our "Cropcho" is a Ukranian surname, though clearly there is some bleeding over from one end to another.

James
oncemore

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:15 am      Post subject:

fadsv

Last edited by oncemore on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
oncemore

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:29 am      Post subject:

lowec

Last edited by oncemore on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesc

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:36 pm      Post subject:

Hello Oncemore,

I find Cyrillic cursive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cursive) and related text extremely hard to read for some reason. I'm not sure which type of alphabet the script has, though. It could be Latin, even.

Wish I could have helped more.

James
oncemore

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:19 pm      Post subject:

hij
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: