PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:39 am      Post subject: Surname Ciotocirimali

Listed on my great uncles' baptisimal record (taken from the Diocese: Tremisliensis Parish: Grochowce) are his parents and grandparents. His mother was Martha, nee Bojko, daughter of Anastasia CIOTOCIRIMALI. Is this a latin form of this surname? I have been researching any form of this surname for years and never get anywhere with it. Has anyone ever seen a surname such as this one? Grateful for any help.....Regards, Marcia[/u]
Send e-mail
Sophia

Replies: 376

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:51 am      Post subject:

Hi Marcia,
Well, it's a great name! I am pretty sure that it is not Latin; rather, I think it is written in a language called "I Am Having Trouble Reading This Old Handwritten Record And These Are The Letters That I Think I See." Which, frankly, is still more helpful than having a translator or transcriber simply say that the surname is "illegible." Do you have a scan of the document that you can post here? Perhaps some other eyes can see something different.
Hopefully,
Sophia

P.S. I am not quite sure how the "tone" of this comes across to other readers. I am sympathizing with the difficult task that translators have when faced with handwritten names. Just trying for gentle humor, here...
ffritz5445

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:23 pm      Post subject:

No.....thanks for your input
Send e-mail
Sophia

Replies: 376

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:24 am      Post subject:

Hi Marcia,
It is unfortunate that you do not have a copy of the document where "Ciotocirimali" is found. There may still be a way to proceed, however. I am going to guess that you were looking at your great-uncle's baptism record as a kind of substitute record for finding the ancestors of either your grandmother or grandfather. If you are willing to assume that Anastasia's surname does begin with "Ciot...." then you can do a search here: http://www.herby.com.pl/indexslo.html for names beginning that way by typing CIOT* in the search box (so the asterix is serving as a wildcard) and clicking on the word "szukaj" which means "search." Doing that brings up a bunch of results. You see, for example, the surname Ciotucha was used by 437 people in Poland during a recent census (1990, I think). The surname Ciotuszyński was used by 66 people. You should at least keep these names in mind as possible surnames of your great uncle's grandmother Anastasia.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: