PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:12 pm      Post subject: surname cwynar and cwiakala

I have had a lot of difficulty in researching my father's family names.
His paternal family is Cwynar and maternal name is Cwiakala, neither seems to be Polish but I assure you they are both Polish.
Can you enlighten me?
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:27 pm      Post subject:

Yes, Cwynar and Ćwiąkała are both names that appear in Poland. If you are searching on Polish sites, then you would likely need the diacritical marks in the Ćwiąkała surname. If you are looking on some of the Polish genealogy sites, your names might not appear because despite the wonderful efforts of volunteers, only a fraction of names have been put online.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:53 am      Post subject:

kcwynar~ As Cheri said the Ćwiąkała surname (with diacritics) is a Polish name - see here the distribution https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/%C4%86wi%C4%85ka%C5%82a

And the Cwynar name is also showing in many locations https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Cwynar

At moikrewni.pl/mapa you can search surnames for yourself (but correct Polish form with diacritics is absolutely necessary). If you think both surnames came from the same area of Poland, then I would lean toward the southeast corner since both surnames have their heaviest concentrations there. Brzozów has both surnames in red. Hope this helps. ~PL
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:44 pm      Post subject:

PL, if you could please look at the profile of kcwynar, you will see that Orzechówka is believed to be their ancestral village. Do you know of any resources for Orzechówka?
Cheri
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:21 pm      Post subject:

Cheri~ I'm getting ready to go on vacation. I only went with what kcwynar posted here. Since they have a village name, I looked it up and it's right next to Brzozów (so Moikrewni worked).

I don't have any resources to suggest. All my family came from SW Poland where church records are not online - went to churches to see records of last generation born in Poland & then later hired a researcher to go to the Church Archives in Krakow to go further back on the family lines. ~PL
kcwynar

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:07 pm      Post subject:

Thanks to Cheri and the Polish Librarian this is very helpful information.

I will have to do some translating on this page but it looks like I can start in the Brzozow area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: